]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  November 2017, Week 2

MEDLIB-L November 2017, Week 2

Re: Joint Commission - Standards re. Libraries?

Backyard Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Backyard Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Nov 2017 07:52:32 -0500

Why is there no licensure or certification legally required for Medical
Librarians?

Excellent question!

Probably because there is no specific educational path for medical
librarians and no qualifying exams once one has completed the MLS/MI degree.
Taking one course, health sciences/medical librarianship, as part of the
MLS/MI degree, may seem inadequate compared to having completed a
specialized health sciences practitioner degree, e.g. BScN. That's
conjecture on my part, but having worked as a cancer centre librarian, I
can recall more than one occasion when clinicians expressed curiosity
concerning the educational background of librarians in general, noting that
many have a B.A. and no background in the health sciences, which may be a
valid point. Since I double majored in human biology and have an MSc in
biology, it wasn't my issue, but I can see where they are coming from.
Perhaps this is something to consider for the AHIP credentialing process:
introducing qualifying exams.

Christine Marton, PhD.