]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  November 2017, Week 2

MEDLIB-L November 2017, Week 2

Re: Joint Commission - Standards re. Libraries?

"Nichols, William" <[log in to unmask]>

Nichols, William

Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:24:08 +0000

No clash here, at least not on my end.  A little amused, yeah, but other than that, nah. :)

The Eternal Question yeah.  (Well, eternal since the 70s at least. -laugh-)  Over the years we've all seen the question come up of "can't MLA help with...," but of course reality is that MLA is small & doesn't have the clout that AMA, ACOS, et al. do.

IMNSHO MLA does a great job, stellar, in fact.  Plain unemotional reality is that what we need is a champion & there simply isn't one. :\

Re the other aspect (JCAHO enabling bean-counting), I'm sure the Joint isn't doing it deliberately, & probably isn't even thinking about all downstream ramifications.  In their universe & for their purpose they're only interested in one thing -- healthcare organizations' quality of care, hence the streamlining of standards.

Collateral damage caused by administrators' use of those minimized standards for other purposes is an unintended consequence that may not even occur to them.

Oh, well, anyway, "Happy Friday, all." :)

Bill

William F. Nichols, MLS | Director of Library Services |Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine | 350 Howard Street|Spartanburg, SC 29303| Office: 864-327-9852  Fax: 864 804-6986 http://www.vcom.edu
(The views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the Edward Via College of
Osteopathic Medicine, and they may not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.)