]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  November 2017, Week 2

MEDLIB-L November 2017, Week 2

Re: Joint Commission - Standards re. Libraries?

Halyna Liszczynskyj <[log in to unmask]>

Halyna Liszczynskyj <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:21:15 -0500

Didn't MLA eons ago have a certification-type exam?   I vaguely remember
as I came into the profession (in the stone age) it being talked about
and people taking it but it got phased out.  As a very young librarian I
remember people talking about it.   What ever did happen to that?   Did
it morph into something different?

Halyna

Halyna Liszczynskyj, BS, MLS
Director, Library Services
St. Elizabeth Medical Center
Medical Library
2209 Genesee St.
Utica, NY 13501
315-801-8381 / F 315-801-4499

copies of the original message.

>>> Julie Stielstra <[log in to unmask]> 11/10/2017 9:12 AM >>>
Eons ago, when I was a new medical librarian, I looked into AHIP.
Before
going to library school, I had completed two years of training as a
veterinary technician associated with Michigan State University's vet
school, then worked for a couple of years in a small animal practice,
doing
xrays, lab work, surgical assistance, and general medical care.  At
that
time, AHIP did not consider this acceptable proof of competence in
"medical
terminology" and said I would have to take a course in it as a
qualification.  I declined to waste my time that way...

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:52 AM, Backyard Birds <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Why is there no licensure or certification legally required for
Medical
> Librarians?
>
> Excellent question!
>
> Probably because there is no specific educational path for medical
> librarians and no qualifying exams once one has completed the MLS/MI
> degree.
> Taking one course, health sciences/medical librarianship, as part of
the
> MLS/MI degree, may seem inadequate compared to having completed a
> specialized health sciences practitioner degree, e.g. BScN. That's
> conjecture on my part, but having worked as a cancer centre
librarian, I
> can recall more than one occasion when clinicians expressed
curiosity
> concerning the educational background of librarians in general,
noting that
> many have a B.A. and no background in the health sciences, which may
be a
> valid point. Since I double majored in human biology and have an MSc
in
> biology, it wasn't my issue, but I can see where they are coming
from.
> Perhaps this is something to consider for the AHIP credentialing
process:
> introducing qualifying exams.
>

> Christine Marton, PhD.
>

> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Truex, Eleanor <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Jeanine,
> > I found that in something titled Prepublication Requirements, dated
Aug
> > 21, 2014. Here is the salient portion:
> >
> > Standard HR.01.02.05
> > The hospital verifies staff qualifications.
> > Element of Performance for HR.01.02.05
> > A 17. For hospitals that use Joint Commission
> > accreditation for deemed status purposes and have
> > swing beds used for long term care: A qualified social
> > worker is an individual who has a bachelor’s degree in
> > social work or a bachelor’s degree in a human services
> > field including but not limited to sociology, special
> > education, rehabilitation counseling, or psychology and
> > has one year of supervised social work experience in a
> > health care setting working directly with individuals.
> >
> > I know almost nothing about JC standards as a document to be
searched (I
> > don't have access to the standards). In my head, I've moved on from
this
> > particular point to a much bigger (and IMO important one): why is
there
> no
> > licensure or certification legally required for Medical Librarians?
It is
> > this gray area that has allowed our profession to be marginalized
and
> made
> > invisible. I didn't learn the natural history of medical librarians
in
> LIS,
> > so could someone fill me in?
> >

> > Eleanor Truex BSN, RN, MLIS
> > Medical Librarian, Lakeshore Region
> >
> > THIS IS THE POWER OF COMPASSION.
> > THIS IS PRESENCE.
> >
> > Presence
> > Saint Joseph Hospital
> > 2900 North Lake Shore Drive | Chicago, IL 60657
> > Office: 773.665.3038
> > Internal: 81.665.3038
> >
> > Presence
> > Saint Francis Hospital
> > 355 North Ridge Avenue | Evanston , IL 60202
> > Office: 847.316.2460
> > Internal: 81.847.2460
> > presencehealth.org
> >
> > Connect with Presence Health
> > Find a Doctor | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube
> >
> > Sponsored by Presence Health Ministries

Medical
> > Physicists which require certification or boarding by one of
several
> > organizations. Even there, it's not entirely specific, as state
licensure
> > in the state in which they are practicing is acceptable.
> >
> > Other than that, the requirements are basically that the hospital
can
> > prove that if a position requires state licensure or certification,
or
> > hospital policy requires something in excess of state standards,
that
> they
> > have verified the documentation. There are also several standards
about
> > credentialing and privileging LIPs.
> >
> > As Jeanne and others have said, the Joint Commission has basically
closed
> > the door on defining roles. However, I do see a loophole here that
we
> could
> > potentially exploit. If a state were to define/require a role and
> > credentials for that role, then EPs 1 & 3 under this standard would
cover
> > them.
> >
> >  EP 1 (partial) When law or regulation requires care providers to
be
> > currently licensed, certified, or registered to practice their
> professions,
> > the hospital both verifies these credentials with the primary
source and
> > documents this verification when a provider is hired and when his
or her
> > credentials are renewed.
> >
> > EP 3 The hospital verifies and documents that the applicant has
the
> > education and experience required by the job responsibilities.
> >
> > Barbara S. Reich, MLS, AHIP
> > Director
> > Medical Library
> >
> > 30 Prospect Ave, Hackensack, NJ 07601
> > T: 551-996-2326 | F: 551-996-2467
> > W: HackensackMeridianHealth.org

are
> > intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
they are
> > addressed. This communication may contain material protected by
the
> > attorney-client privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or
the
> > person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, please be
advised
> > that you have received this communication in error and that any
> > dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
communication is