]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  November 2017, Week 4

MEDLIB-L November 2017, Week 4

SUMMARY -LONG- RE: Creation of Faculty/Physician Publication List

Robyn Aguiar <[log in to unmask]>

Robyn Aguiar <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Nov 2017 21:00:15 +0000

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you and just let me say you listserve folks are THE BEST! Here is the summary for my questions regarding creating a faculty publication list and all the details that go with that daunting task:

1. No. We do put out a call for publications and presentations as we're assembling our annual printed bibliography, but we do most (99%?) of the searching ourselves.

2. I do a weekly autoalert in the Ovid indexed Medline file, and daily autoalerts for the in-process file. I have two weekly alerts: one for "medstar" and one for a list of names. Now that Medline generally includes the affiliations of all the authors and not just the primary it's a lot easier, and I only catch one or two from the names list each week. The daily searches just look for MedStar.

3. AFAIK, none of our institutions have an ORCID policy. Some of our authors have registered with ORCID, but it's just a handful.

4. I created our Local Authors' Catalog using a modified version of the open-source ILS Koha. You can see it at http://www.medstarauthors.org. It's more-or-less a final product; what isn't final is the article I need to write describing the process so others can do something similar. My most recent presentation on the catalog was last month at Internet Librarian. The PDF of my presentation is still available: http://conferences.infotoday.com/documents/293/A302_King.pdf.

5. I don't think my solution will cut down on your time too much. It has a lot of wonderful features, such as being able to search for a single author or MeSH term, but it does take a while to cull and convert the records.
I do keep a publication list.

I have search alerts set up in PubMed, Embase, Web of Science and Google Scholar. As they come in, I go through them individually to confirm they are indeed written by our folks (there are some false hits, especially in Google Scholar). All relevant articles get uploaded into an EndNote library. I watch for duplicates (sometimes an article will come up in one database earlier than in another) to make sure I don't have one article entered multiple times. Also, if there is an e-pub ahead of print article that later comes up as in print, I delete the epub entry. It is somewhat time consuming, but the search alerts are set so that they come in on different days, so it's not overwhelming to have them all come at once. Also, we are a fairly small hospital (but with a lot of researchers), so the volume is not too much. I probably download on average about 30 articles a week.

Once they are downloaded into EndNote, I tag them with which department produced the article.

It is somewhat tedious, but it makes answering questions like "How many publications were produced by the Ophthalmology Department in 2016?" a breeze. I can just sort by year, export into an Excel spread sheet, then sort by department.

I don't rely on the authors to let me know when they publish, they just do not have time/it is not a priority for them.

We are just starting to require our folks get ORCID numbers. So far I have not used these in the search alerts, but may add them as they become more common here at MEE. Interestingly, I just had to do an h-index for a doc who did have an ORCID number. I ran her number in Web of Science, came up with 58 hits. It seemed low, because this doc publishes regularly. I ran a name search (fortunately she has a unique name) and came up with 98 hits. I checked each one to make sure they all really were her publications, and they were. So she had 40 publications that were not linked to her ORCID number. It made a difference in her h-index, the name search came up with a higher index than the ORCID search.

We have what I would describe as a "mature" faculty publications tracking system. We track about 21,400 faculty (of which about 8,900 are currently active). These include faculty from the School of Medicine, as well as Dentistry, Nursing, and other STEM faculty. The system is reasonably well described in "The Faculty Bibliography Project at the NYU School of Medicine" Journal of librarianship & scholarly communications 2017;2(3):eP1161  http://dx.doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.1161

To answer your specific questions:

    1. In our experience faculty cannot be relied on to report publications in an accurate or timely manner. In practice some will, but many won't. On the other hand, faculty can be very helpful in vetting additions provided they receive prompt notice of new publications and are given a responsive system for reporting and correcting errors.

    2. Such searches in PubMed (and other databases) are set up as SDIs so they run automatically and don't need much more than annual tweaking.

    3. The Library uses ORCID to harvest new publications and we strongly urge our faculty to sign up for ORCID (and to give us admin rights over their publication listings).

All in all I'd say technologically things have never been better for this kind of project. Moreover they show every sign of getting even better over the next few years. In particular the Pubmed eutilities and proprietary APIs make wrangling bibliometric data much easier than it used to be. ORCID improves things too and we all expect it to become increasingly helpful as publishers and grant provides mandate it.
***********************************
We put the responsibility on the authors to notify us when they are published.  About two years ago we set up a separate collection in our library catalog listing publications by our employees/physicians.  This has been helpful.  For the residency programs they are entering the information into their New Innovations database to track research and publications.
We do a monthly "author board."

1. Physicians are not responsible, but if they tell us, we add them.
2. We do an affiliation search in PubMed. We create the list and link to the
articles. We name it "[Month] 2017 PubMed Citations."
3. We don't use ORCID for the search.
Yes, I maintain current as much as I can, but it is time consuming ..

1.  Any attempt from different people, including Library Committee, special forms only to fill out with the basic data, failed. Nobody is reporting anything.
2. Yes, PubMed is the basic source, but we have staff members who write book chapters and this is the most challenging part of this job, editors, etc.
3. No, I don't use any software - I don't see a software that will find that Dasilva, da Silva, and Da Silva may be the same person.
1.    Are the publishing physicians responsible for notifying the library with their publication information?  Very few send me their publications on their own.  I send out a yearly email asking for any publications in the previous year.

2.    If the librarians perform searches in PubMed to keep the publication list updated?  I have an "affiliate" search set up in NCBI

3.    How many of your institutions use ORCID? We are pushing this heavily!  Especially with the new Residents.  I think we have maybe 5-10 that have signed up for an ORCID ID, including me and Brian.  We keep advertising that we will do all the work to get it set up and all they have to do is add their education and employment and change the password.  A few have taken him up on the offer.

Any other details would be most helpful. We have 1 FT and 1 PT employee and this project is supremely time consuming. You can contact me off list and I will summarize if anyone is interested, thank you.  Call me if you want to talk. :)  I used to update the list yearly.  Now, per my director, I have to update it monthly.  At this point, I really only rely on the NCBI search.  I still send out the yearly email, but get very few responses.
Although we ask to be notified by the publishing physician, we very rarely are. We pick up what we can from PubMed and Google Scholar.  I have alerts set up in both. They don't pick up everything - it depends on how the individual physician lists his or her affiliation.  It's the best we can do. We do not use ORCID.
I just started here and they weren't tracking publications at all. I only search PubMed. I communicate a monthly list via our PR person with a note saying list isn't comprehensive and to email me your PubMed citation if I missed it. I get emails occasionally from staff to be added. I also 'feature' 5 articles from each monthly list, so some people email me to be highlighted. I'm in the process of revamping our webpage, so may do something a little more robust then.

I have an auto search set up in PubMed and create monthly public collection, which is how I share the results. Over all, not too time consuming.
I have Google Scholar and Pubmed send me alerts when my institution's name comes up in a search.  I set them up years ago and they just send emails when something meets the search criteria. There are false drops of course, and sometimes things are missed, but it is pretty reliable and takes me no time to update the faculty publications list.    Some faculty send me their new publications but most don't.  I am working on getting our faculty to adopt the ORCid...but we need a champion to promote it.
We do a publications list.  I search PubMed for all of our authors, collate and format the list, then send it out.

For those publications that do not appear on the list, I ask physicians and staff to supply citations.  We are a large hospital with a basic science department and a very prolific medical staff.  Our annual publications list usually runs about 80 pages in length.

All of our neurosurgeons have ORCID ids, but I have not yet incorporated them into my search strategy.  Very few of our non-neurosurgeons have ORCID ids.

I have discovered a new wrinkle in the process, in that it appears that a small percentage of the articles are from journals of questionable reputation.  I leave those off, and only provide a reason if questioned. We have 3 FT employees (including myself), but I do all of the work on the publications list - and I do it twice a year.  And I agree with you, it is VERY time consuming!
*************************************
1. Yes, faculty is responsible for sending us the list of publications/presentations (we then format it)
2. We also search in PubMed
3. We do not use ORCID

[NNLM signature]

Robyn Aguiar, MSLS

UCSF Fresno Medical Library | Community Regional Medical Ctr
155 N. Fresno St.| Fresno, CA 93701 | 559-499-6510

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
NOTICE: WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.