Re: Replacement for Beall's yet

"Truex, Eleanor" <[log in to unmask]>

Truex, Eleanor

Fri, 8 Dec 2017 19:43:20 +0000

So many thoughts....
Couple of things: I have not been following this call and answer thread regarding Beall's list. I have not read the piece by Beall that triggered this reply. I am somewhat dumbfounded by Swauger's piece. I don't see predatory publishing as a cover for information illiteracy and I don't know any librarians who do. Information literacy and predatory publishing are related problems, often interlinked. One does not stand in for the other. This is such an obvious observation that I am left wondering if Swauger (who I know nothing about) is using it as some kind of cover himself. That may reflect my mental state at the current state of affairs both in the world and in "library world", but it is truly an odd foundation on which to craft an argument. It's not binary; if anything, they're different aspects to a core problem which has always plagued publishing: commercial interest (i.e. profit) vs ethics.

 With the exception of Law, nowhere is the emphasis on integrity more vital than Medicine. Swauger writes, "Authority isn’t about the containers that information comes in, and the solution was never a list of bad containers. The best thing librarianship can do to support science and research is to engage in the inherently messy, dynamic, and important work of systematic information literacy instruction in higher education and research."
On its face, this is absolutely true, but it also reveals quite a bit about him. I doubt there is any health sciences librarian alive who does not support his statement about supporting research as an underlying principle of librarianship. I am sure there are more than a few whose jaws dropped upon reading this politely phrased castigation. Not all of us have the benefit (dare I say privilege?) of working in academia. Many of us are in need of tools to support us in assisting our patrons, the direct-care clinicians, to navigate the tsunami of medical information.

Seriously, Swauger's solution to predatory publishing is "let the reader beware"?  What of our medical residents who are preyed upon by these sharks with outrageous pay-to-play schemes? What of the media, as well as the producers of quackery, who can (and do) pick up poorly-structured studies/ outright false results and push them to further their agendas? Some of this is info literacy (I prefer the term critical thinking but do realize these are--again!--overlapping concepts), but some of this is immoral, unethical and just plain wicked intents/ acts by nefarious people. I'm not about to put a toe into the whole OA debate; I am speaking of the larger issues. He thinks this isn't the real problem? Has he seen some of the nonsense that is published under the guise of medical literature today? I can see Nancy's point clearly--this amounts to a slap to librarians who raise these concerns. This is as chilling as it is odd. The entire piece reads as a public dressing down of a subordinate. Polite wording does not change the burden of this message, which is clear to all: stop talking about this or you'll face more of the same, all in the guise of academic erudition and defense of diversity. And yet Swauger also admits that the list is useful....

 The entire "this is a reflection of white male privilege so therefore has no merit" argument I find specious.   Beall's attempts to organize information as a service to others is not a reflection of white male privilege: it is the essence of what we do. Nor is his referral to past practices a call to return to white male privilege.  Privilege in publishing has always existed, will always exist (although those so privileged may well change over time); privilege is human nature, no matter how much we want to decry it and deny that. Yes, the history of medical literature is one of privilege, but Swauger disingenuously left out this: it's privilege AND meritocracy. For Swauger to insist on one without the other exposes the weakness in his position.  At one time, like it or not, most medical journals were staffed by editors who deeply cared about the accuracy and rigor of the studies published under their aegis. Many still do, but there is a sloppiness (and a dearth of editors, even copy editors) present now that is disturbing at the very least. Nowhere in Beall's quotes in this piece is this sloppiness attributed to gender, race etc. Medicine is one of the truly heterogeneous professions around.  To decry the rise of predatory publishing is not advocate for a "return" to white, male etc privilege or a dangerous nostalgia; it's simply raising the alarm that shoddy research is being published to the detriment of medicine, librarianship and the safety of the general public--did Swauger forget that explicit  purpose of medical research in his response? It appears so.

Claiming this is the result of privilege is missing the point: how do we as librarians help protect the integrity of medical literature? That's the original purpose of Beall's list. When has Swauger dealt with this "burden of determining if a publisher is predatory"?  Does he work solo, often covering more than one hospital? Boots-on-the-ground clinicians need accurate, timely information just as much as academicians and translational researchers; actually, their need is greater and their time and resources more limited. The librarians who support direct-care clinicians are being tasked with the impossible: navigate the tsunami and be sure to test the waters for pollutants before drowning.  We are overwhelmed and desperate for tools. Beall at least attempted to supply one. I'm of the belief that the structure of medical publishing needs to change; the current system is untenable for the rate of new information. But right now, it is very much the wild west out there and many of us are caught in the crossfire. Instead of denigrating Beall and dismissing him as some kind of privileged dinosaur, we should be looking for other ways to support information science so that librarians can truly assist their patrons with their knowledge needs.

But I'm totally with him regarding the nastiness of social media discourse. It's toxic and "going there" solves nothing, helps nothing, produces nothing. Screeds and name-calling never solved anything, but then... neither did public condescension from academicians. I am not defending online nastiness between colleagues and professionals, but I have to say that even if the tone is elevated, a public scolding doesn't solve much, either. This whole fracas is appalling on many levels. None of it (unlike the original list of predatory publishers) serves librarians or librarianship.

Eleanor Truex BSN, RN, MLIS
Medical Librarian, Lakeshore Region

THIS IS THE POWER OF COMPASSION.
THIS IS PRESENCE.

Presence
Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive | Chicago, IL 60657
Office: 773.665.3038
Internal: 81.665.3038

Presence
Saint Francis Hospital
355 North Ridge Avenue | Evanston , IL 60202
Office: 847.316.2460
Internal: 81.847.2460
presencehealth.org

Connect with Presence Health
Find a Doctor | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube

Sponsored by Presence Health Ministries