New RefWorks

"Mamo, Elizabeth" <[log in to unmask]>

Mamo, Elizabeth

Thu, 4 Jan 2018 17:26:52 +0000

Thanks to all who responded to my question about the New RefWorks.  Many of you asked me to share responses.  They follow below.

__
We have a love/hate relationship with New Refworks. We like the interface but they have not worked out all of the bugs yet so we end up moving back and forth between new and legacy for some functions. Deduplication does not work and Refworks has said they are working on fixing this for the past year. So we dedup in legacy refworks. New Refworks does not allow you to download data in certain formats, so again we will go back to Legacy to download in the format we need. Those are just two issues I can think of off the top of my head. I can't wait for Refworks to work out all the bugs, but wish they had waited to release this version.

__
I'm on the rampage about new Refworks. It has been consistently unreliable, usually at the peak points of demand. For the past two weeks, for instance, it was largely not able to deduplicate- 1 of about 3 core functions of this type of software. That's not the first time that dedupe has dropped off the map for extended periods. Over the past two weeks along, in addition, I've had occasions where it's not been able to recognize RIS format files, and therefore hasn't been able to import (RIS!!!! the MOST standard format), and hasn't been able to export files either. I don't find it reliable at all. I was an enthusiast initially because it looks better and is simpler than legacy refworks, but next semester I am going to encourage students to either use Legacy or find an online alternative that suits them.

__

Here's what I and my colleagues have experienced so far:
*         After uploading a PDF it often gets stuck in the "analyzing" cycle for days
*         It's clunky that the citation and full text have to be uploaded separately
*         Beware of sharing folders and collaboratively adding articles - if you don't save articles that others have uploaded to your own account, they will go away if the folder is unshared for any reason, or if the person leaves the group. I found this out the hard way working with students right before they graduated, thinking they would not need access any more.
*         Save to RefWorks browser bar tool works sometimes, but mostly it says "searching for translators" or something and I usually give up after awhile.
*         One group of students I worked with tried to use the Google Docs plug in to collaborate on a manuscript and discovered it would not work the way they had hoped so they abandoned it.
*         For the Word plugin tools, you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out which version to download. Once it's there though it seems like a very useful tool.
*         I am sure there are other things but can't think of them right now. In general, my sense is it's great for a single user doing a paper with a handful of citations but not sure I'd trust it for a complex project especially with a group.
*         The support has been responsive though.
I would have preferred Endnote, but we got RefWorks because the price was right since we have so many other Proquest products, and it does integrate well with Summon. PQ and Ebsco databases easily export to it. PubMed is a bit clunkier but works. I'll be interested to see what others think.

__

I quite like the interface, and the way that you do (usually) not need to tell it the source of files being imported.   For our students doing pieces of work that require few references, I think the new version is fine.But for our dissertation students and researchers, and people doing systematic reviews, there are some serious limitations.    Being able to move references from one folder to another only 100 at a time is a serious annoyance, and de-duplication does not work well.    Both those things work better in the "Legacy" version.

We have reported our concerns to RefWorks and their response suggests they see the new version as more aimed at undergraduates.    I had never heard that from them about the Legacy version.

__

We have the new RefWorks at my institution and I really like it. I think it is easier to use and just better overall. One thing I really like is they fixed what used to be called RefGrabIt. The resource they replaced it with is SO much better. I actually teach a course to our PA department in RefWorks so if I can provide any help to you please let me know.

__

I would be interested in what you hear from others. Our research faculty and most of our grad students use EndNote while others use the RefWorks which is free to them. In the past, faculty and students have lost entire RefWorks libraries when they "froze." Nothing like losing a 1500 item database!  Our campus library supports only  RefWorks--they dropped EndNote support years ago, but we continue to use it at Nursing because we find it best meets our needs for research and writing.

__
We're currently using Legacy, but have access to the New RefWorks as well. I have had a number of issues with the functionality of New RW. I've been in touch with ProQuest about these. We'll see if any resolutions come out of it. I will let you know that they are no longer putting an end date on Legacy RW, if that has been a  source of pressure.

Here's my major concerns. All have been reported to ProQuest:
1. Moving more than 50-100 citations at once - not supported last I checked - no "Select All" available
2. Dedup viewing - not aligned, visually difficult to line up potential duplicate records; full title does not display in normal view (a HUGE issue for long reports with multiple only distinguished by part numbers)
3. Shared folders - once sharing options are selected, it is not immediately available to the "sharee"
4. Public sharing not available. An issue for sharing with clients without RW account OR collaborators outside of our institution.
5. Link Resolvers - should be available in all views. They exist to be a one-click access point... don't make users dig.
6. Write-N-Cite - one-line cite not currently available (in the works?)
7. (This is just my opinion). Trying hard to be flashy, forgot the substance.
Best luck getting it to work for your institution! I'd recommend complaining about anything you are finding problematic. They are still developing New RW, so they're more likely to listen while it's still being adjusted.

__
Proquest seems to want to streamline. For those that are very familiar with how the old RefWorks operates, it is a downgrade. That said, there is a fairly steep learning curve to RefWorks. The tutorials are great and make everything work really well. However I noticed that most patrons were not willing/did not have time to watch the tutorials and learn how the system worked. They would switch over to EndNote or another product instead. I have not seen that with the new RefWorks. It is much more intuitive for new users. More intuitive means decreased functionality. I feel like this is happening on many databases.

Overall my patrons seem to like it more. One specific function they like it being able to drag a PDF over and have it autofill an entry for them. It is a much easier way to attach articles to the entries in RefWorks. With the old RefWorks I had someone complain that it wasn't easier to attach PDFs and how easy it was in other products. When I show patrons the ability to take the PDF and put it into new RefWorks, they get excited.

The librarians here are happy to see the share function improve. It is easier to share, especially with one person or a few people. There are upsides and downsides to the "upgrade" like there always are. I'm interested to see how well RefWorks does going forward.

Elizabeth Mamo,MLS
Library Director
Rochester Regional Health
585-922-2403
http://wernerlibrary.org/

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Rochester Regional Health Email Disclaimer
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it from your system. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.
[http://www.myrochealth.com/wp-content/uploads/rrh-logo.jpg]