]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  January 2018, Week 4

MEDLIB-L January 2018, Week 4

Re: Chat - explaining predatory publishing

Scott Thomson <[log in to unmask]>

Scott Thomson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Jan 2018 12:57:44 -0600

Agreed. There certainly have been instances of legitimate, valuable
research being published in predatory journals, sometimes even on purpose
(there was an article in the Chronicle a few years back that discussed one
such instance. I'll paste a link below. Researchers published an article in
the OMICS title *Journal of Bioterrorism and Biodefense* despite misgivings
about the publisher's reputation because they were attracted by the fast
turnaround and felt that the information was time-sensitive), but this is
certainly the exception, and not the rule. And even if you do find a good
article, as Layla said, it would have to be examined very closely and would
come with a lot of caveats (no peer review, etc.).

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Predatory-Online-Journals/131047

Scott Thomson, MLIS, AHIP
Library Director
Boxer Library
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
847.578.3243

Click here <http://guides.rosalindfranklin.edu/about> to learn more about
the Boxer Library.