]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VAGUE Home

VAGUE  February 2018

VAGUE February 2018

Linux_adult_swim Meeting today, Monday February 26th, 5 PM at 40 Washington Street...

Paul Flint <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Area Group of Unix Enthusiasts <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:37:33 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Greetings List Lurkers,

We shall once again be meeting today between 5 and 7 PM in Room 1 in the
basement of Heading United Methodist church, 40 Washington Street.

Next month, Flint goes west with the wind...  I will be presenting on the
subject of Visual Bash at the IBM SHARE Conference at the Sacramento Civic
Center.  I often wonder if there is anyone in Vermont interested in
hearing or learning about Visual Bash, as I find it a very reasonable
language to write stuff in.

Based upon my understanding and faith in Visual Bash, I made the choice to
write "Block Chain Tic-Tac-toe" (bcttt.sh) based upon this framework.  If
you would like to see the current progress, please see:

(http://docbox.flint.com:8081/blockchain#tttVB)

The actual code is here:

http://docbox.flint.com:8081/blockchain#bcttt.sh

A downloader for the code is this:

wget "http://docbox.flint.com/~flint/bin/mdft.sh"  ;
chmod +x mdft.sh;
./mdft.sh

This is base upon idea from Marco the Marvelous Minion, and is in the
middle of being expanded...

Thus I would really like to spend a significant portion of our meeting
will be devoted to the by now famous Block-Chain Tic-Tac-Toe, and as you
can see the initial attempt is in Visual Bash...

So, the short answer is that we are still here and the meeting will take place
today at 17:00.

Like last week I am also fascinated by what is going on with Big Blue Button
(http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tada#BigBlueButton) which we need to delve into!

The area I would like to discuss here is the idea that Kevin Cole came up
with, a dedicated rasberry pi based conferencing station.  What a cool
idea.

Sadly enough we seem to have the most traction on Google Hangouts...

Thus opics for discussion thus are:

- Block-Chain Tic-Tac-Toe and
- Big Blue Button vs Google Hangouts.

I have no doubt that this adgenda will be overtaken by reality. In
addition our standard topics which remain:

- Open Source Educational Human Development
   I am changing the priority
   of our eternal needs, and placing education first, as manifest in a
   Barre Brain Barn.
- Maker Movement A Maker Space in Barre?  Why not? We clearly have a
   Maker Faire profile.  Could it be that the commercial power centers
   are beginning to appreciate the value of the maker movement.
   See http://bbbvt.org/
   Here are the city and statewide plans:
   http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb
   who has good ideas about a Barre Maker Space.  Why not do digital
   stone soup?
- Move BOSI towards reStructuredText. I am seriously researching a
   tiddly2rest converter.  This would allow us to become more git
   centric... avoid the need to change to gittlywiki...
   We still need to convert... Yea buddy...  Shut up Effin.
- Blue Sky R&D, but in Vermont it will be Gun-metal Grey Sky(c) R&D
   (GMGSR&D).
- I fought the DREK and the DREK continues to win.  Remember, What
   really is holds us back is DREK!!!  DREK is what happens to your
   workspace (both hardware and  software) when you fail to put stuff
   away, or you let your friends or relatives use it.  This is a cosmic
   law.  While having #1Son around helped, I am still fighting DREK.
   How to get over it?  The secret may be empty pellet bags.
   TechnoRubble is hereby defined as organized DREK.  DREK is
   just what you get prior to something becoming TechnoRubble.
   Just to let you know I am desperately trying to turn Drek into
   TechnoRubble.  The ultimate goal being the development and
   implementation of the TechnoRubble Taxonomy.

These five points are quickly becoming more than our policy, and more like a
prayer...

Anyway, we have the technology and we will have Pizza tonight 5-7 at Hedding
UMC.  Accept no substitutes... For those coming in via voice or the Internet,
so not forget this information:

For more information try:
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tada

...and we hope that there are folks who are gonna try, the swim tada starts at
6:00 PM EST.

Our ongoing major objective is to continue to try to figure out how to invest
the time and resources to turn the Barre Open Systems Institute into more than
just the Adult Swim technical clinic and more into a real learning facility,
and figure out where our good chairs went. One direction we have been working
on is to begin thinking about classes. The curriculum that I am most interested
in is teaching documentation.

The goal of the meeting shall be unusual, as it will be more about planning and
vision and less about how to get organized and try to get the various projects
moving forward, despite DREK. We continue to wonder about how to build the BOSI
curriculum to this webpage:

http://bosivt.org, works, and has just been updated.

Remember, the BOSI Adult Swim is essentially about helping out fellow users of
open source products in a clinic environment.  Despite my very best of
intentions, the Adult Swim is really almost a perpetual Linux install-fest, and
only secondarily a learning environment.

The ever growing list of projects (now on our web site :^) includes the
following with no particular organization or accuracy:

http://www.bosivt.org
http://bosivt.org, works, and has just been updates see javascript link to
http://family.flint.com/flint
https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/flint.com/tada
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry#MinecraftRaspberryPi  Pi Minecraft,
cool.
http://www.lakecraft.net/  This is the site we want to get Pi Minecraft working
with.
http://bbbvt.org/  Barre Brain Barn.
http://ledroid.org Ok, this is a real project eh?
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/travel#VTMakerConf2017
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/technorubble#TechnoRubbleTaxonomy
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry#PiRFID
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/trantor
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/blockchain#blockchainttt
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/vm A Docker copy of VM370
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/kindle The Kindle Liberation Front
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/pyrs A pythonic interface to Income Tax?
http://bzinga.net What happens when you combine Bash and Zenity?
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/nodejs ok, it is on the list.
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/snobot jesum they love this robot
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/furmon monitor that pellet furnace
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/arduino moving in the arduino groove
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/javajive to get better at Javascript
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tsp  Temperature Sensors Project
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/robotsrules The quest for Roberts Rules -
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/visual.bash Yea, I am not kidding...
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/mrtg remedial raw mrtg for the slow...
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry all versions
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/strembot.org maybe a very cool project.
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/organized oh please let me be organized!
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/music this may be the least organized
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb A big noble idea.
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/grantbot A less noble idea to feed the
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/gitlywiki is tiddlywiki5 the answer?
http://docbox.flint.com:8080/bosivt.org/directions or, go to http://bosivt.org

This list has been updated... Next we shoot for accuracy!

Otherwise, Barre indeed remains a great venue for a Linux and Open Source
Software discussion and general system rejuvenation. Expect to be remotely
preached at on the various topics of Open Source and how I am confident it
shall cure all the evils and ills of this wicked world.  In a perfect meeting,
people would come in, sit down, see the stuff we have been doing and hopefully
help us get the DIY stuff we are doing done, or maybe just fix a laptop.

So, do not forget that the Aldrich Barre library stocks "Linux Format", and the
latest issue is on the shelf, and it is good.  The DVD's are available to
checkout and copy, we shall to continue provide copies and isos of each and
every one. I am continuing to duplicate about a years worth of DVD's which is
quite a task. You may want to watch this space for developments.

Anyway, come and do open source stuff. For more information about the BOSI
Adult Swim meeting time and location try this:

Directions to the Adult Swim:
http://docbox.flint.com:8080/bosivt.org/directions or, go to http://bosivt.org
and click on directions.

Show up at Hedding UMC if you have questions or are interested in Linux or the
concept of free and open systems.  Again, we are in the basement of the Hedding
UMC facility which we like pretty well.

If you wish to be included on the "Linux_adult_swim" mailing list, send a
response to this note, or contact me.

It is so nice and warm in this room it may be time for a nap.  This is Flint
signing off...  I look at the list of stuff we still have to do and I wonder
where it all came from!

I expect to be chastised eagle-eyed Dr. Mark, or god forbid, Effin as Dr. Mark
remains our Honorary Editor.

Finally we may have a special guest with lawn signs.

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360
(802) 595-9365 Cell

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT