student advisory feedback

Lauri Fennell <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Feb 2018 09:47:31 -0500

Hi everyone, below are the responses I received from people who have some
kind of student advisory group. One thing that we are now considering is
holding a focus group. It is a one time event that, along with provided
food, has the potential to get the most representation. From there, and
hopefully with student suggestions, we'll decide how to make sure we have
continued student involvement. We had conducted one several years ago and
it was helpful. It's time to do another.

Thank you to those who shared their experiences. I think it is clear that
scheduling is a challenge but we can find ways to make it work!

Although we do not have a student advisory group here at UMass Medical
School, the library director regularly attends student council meetings.
Student Library Advisory Groups is something that I am also personally
interested in so I will share what I have gathered thus far from asking
around and from my personal experience attending a meeting:
•         I became interested in student library advisory groups after I
heard that my undergraduate university was forming one the year after I
graduated so I did some searching on similar library advisory groups across
Canada and this short article is the result:
https://capalstudents.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/vol-14emerging-academic-librarians-in-canada.pdf

•         During library school, I worked with a group to propose a
theoretical student library advisory group for a class project. I’ve
included the references we used to support the idea as an attachment. If
you wish to see the full report, let me know.
•         I am also including an interview I had with the two librarians at
the University of Alberta (my aforementioned undergraduate university)
about their group there. If you would like to reuse their material I would
ask their permission first.
•         My interest in student library advisory groups also led me to sit
in on one meeting of the Dalhousie student library advisory committee. The
committee was formed of students appointed as library liaisons (from other
student bodies) and the librarians in charge of the committee had trouble
ensuring attendance and participation from all members. During the meeting
that I attended, they presented a strategy for how they were going to
divide the budget amongst the disciplines and were asking for feedback.
During the open speaking period, the major topic of discussion was led by
the health sciences representative (who I believe was the only person who’s
title was library liaison and had been elected by the health sciences
students) whose major concern was the reduction in student seating in the
upcoming health sciences library renovation. What was great about the
meeting is that the library directory was there to listen and field
questions.
o   What I think was more successful about meetings at the University of
Alberta is that all the students were volunteers (food was an important
incentive) and that the discussion was derived from issues brought forth
from the students.

We have a student advisory group for our health sciences library at VCU. We
provide free lunch and the lunch hour seems to work for a meeting time  on
our campus. At the beginning of each school year, we do a lot of promotion
to get applicants to apply to the group.

We have a student advisory committee, and it's been great. We've gotten a
lot of good feedback from this group over the years. Scheduling certainly
can be tough, though.

Fwiw, you may have already tried this, but after trying many options, we
found that it worked best for scheduling when we held meetings over the
lunch hour and provided lunch. However, we've also found that engagement
and ease of scheduling can vary a lot from year to year, no matter what you
try. Anyway, I'm happy to discuss further, if you like.

Penn has a group called IPSAG that has been reasonably active.

http://guides.library.upenn.edu/ipsag

I am sure that Aman, who is currently coordinating IPSAG, would be happy to
talk with you about it.

In my previous position at The Commonwealth Medical College, we had
students on our Library Committee, one from each class and one from the MBS
program. The 3rd and 4th year students never attended meetings, as they
spend so much time away on clinical rotations, but some did make an effort
to participate at a distance. Attendance by the 1st and 2nd years was
pretty good, and the MBS student Rep was almost always in attendance. We
tried to accommodate their schedules as best we could, but we were also
trying to accommodate very busy faculty as well. We maintained a
password-protected LibGuide that provided information about the meetings,
resource trials, minutes of the meetings, and collection development
information. There was a voting instrument on the LibGuide by which members
of the committee could vote electronically. Third and 4th year students
more often would participate in the voting,  and not much else, but some
would also respond to Committee e-mails, and bring forward items of concern
from classmates via e-mails. It really depended on the individual student.
We had two students who were incredibly active in-person during their MBS
and then MD1 and 2 years, and even managed to vote and comment during their
3rd and 4th years. I was at the school for seven years, and these two were
definitely outliers! Basically we had to resign ourselves that although our
committee was a priority for us, and as valuable as student input is (looks
great for accreditation too), it was really difficult to get full
participation when medical students have so many competing priorities.
Unfortunately, we were not top of the list.

Lauri Fennell, MSLS
Reference/Patron Services
Temple University
Ginsburg Health Sciences Library