SCHOOL-IT April 2018

Seeking Instructors for STEM Camp

Thomas Bacon <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Apr 2018 13:10:13 -0400

Greetings—

We're seeking lead instructors for our summer camp, Young Hacks Academy to be held this July at several locations in Vermont. See below for more information. It’s a really fun program to teach and a unique opportunity for professional development!

Please let me know if you can think of anyone that may be interested.

Many thanks,
Tom.

Thomas Bacon
Program Director,
Young Hacks Academy
http://www.younghacks.com
c 802-999-7092

Find us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/YoungHacksAcademy

SEEKING INSTRUCTORS FOR YOUNG HACKS ACADEMY

YHA Bristol, Mount Abraham Union High School
July 23-27, 2018 – Team Elektra for Girls

YHA Burlington, Burlington High School
July 9-13, 2018 – Beta Masters
July 16-20, 2018 – Beta Masters
July 23-27, 2018 – Internet of Things

YHA Essex, Essex Middle School
July 16-20, 2018 – Team Elektra for Girls
July 23-27, 2018 – Beta Masters
July 30-August 3, 2018 – Internet of Things

YHA Newport, North Country Career Center
July 9-13, 2018 – Agent Training

“The structure we have at YHA is how we really should be teaching students.” - Katherine, Burlington, VT (instructor)
“Seeing the kids present their work with confidence and new knowledge at the end of just one week solidified the excellence of the program.” - Stefani, Richmond, VT (parent)
“Young Hacks was fun, organized, and just a blast in general!” - Jetlee, New York, NY (student)

Young Hacks Academy is a summer camp that uses technology to develop real-world leadership skills. Blending computer programming, problem-solving, and teamwork, YHA teaches kids to build cool video games and interactive projects about big challenges facing the world today, such as climate change, homelessness, and endangered wildlife. As serious as we are about exploring technology, YHA is also committed to having fun away from the screen, moving campers outside each day for unplugged games like treasure hunts and riddle relays. No programming experience is required. For more information, visit younghacks.com.

This is a 1-3 week job opportunity to teach Team Elektra for Girls Ages 10-14, Beta Masters for Ages 12-15, Internet of Things for Ages 12-15, and/or Agent Training for Ages 9-12:

Team Elektra for Girls Ages 10-14 (Beginner-Intermediate) http://younghacks.com/camp-courses/team-elektra/
The brilliant ones! A celebration of creative problem-solving and empowerment, YHA Team Elektra all-girls program explores how the combination of computer science and digital expression can make a difference in the local and global community. As a grassroots organization, Team Elektra members develop interactive stories using Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu), and collaborate on inspirational videos and websites about meaningful issues. They learn how to use code to create a powerful message that communicates to the world who we are and the positive change that we seek. Following the lead of successful women shaping the future in tech, YHA Team Elektra unleashes confidence and life skills in a week full of creativity, design, color, and fun. Wait until you see what we create with code!

Beta Masters for Ages 12-15 (Beginner-Intermediate) http://younghacks.com/courses/beta-masters/
Imagine a small indie game studio that has 5 days to pitch, design and build a new video game. Following a real-world production cycle, YHA Beta Masters work in teams to develop an innovative game prototype from conception to completion. Campers will use the Stencyl game engine (http://www.stencyl.com/) to take their computational learning to the next level, creating original graphics and bringing them to life with Haxe coding. The program culminates with a beta release party in which friends and family act as investors.

Internet of Things for Ages 12-15 (Intermediate-Advanced) http://younghacks.com/camp-courses/internet-of-things/
The Internet of Things (IoT) is created and controlled with artful code. What was once the realm of desktops, laptops, and smartphones, now includes almost anything imaginable from cars to refrigerators, to traffic signals and multitudes of sensors. Understanding these systems can be very empowering while navigating our world. Those able to create such systems will be tackling many of Earth’s greatest problems and filling the marketplace with new and exciting products. For the emerging innovator with programming experience, YHA Internet of Things builds experiential knowledge through IoT design challenges. Students will code Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) using the Arduino Integrated Development Environment (IDE), control electrical circuits and communicate with each other and the Internet. These design challenges present principles of computer science, computer networks, and electrical engineering within an authentic environment. YHA Internet of Things students return from camp—not only with experiential knowledge—but also bring home an IoT PLC kit to continue innovating.

Agent Training for Ages 9-12 (Beginner) http://younghacks.com/courses/agent-training/
Whether it’s public speaking or collaborating with peers, YHA Agent Training models essential leadership techniques that will immediately help students in and out of the classroom. Agents tackle daily missions using Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu), a user-friendly, visual programming tool that empowers students to quickly start developing their own games and stories. The challenge is to come up with a project that will not only entertain their friends, but also teach something about important topics that are impacting our local and global community.

All instructional resources (curriculum, demos etc.) will be made available online along with scheduled webinars starting in May. Don’t worry if you lack experience with the platforms/languages. We will train you!

Here are the job listings for all locations:

Lead Instructor (Team Elektra)
A dedicated educator, passionate about technology and experienced in teaching 10-14 year old female minds. Will lead in demonstration and guidance of camp curriculum, including animation and video development, leadership training, team-building, and other problem-solving activities. Will manage 2-4 person staff and act as main contact during camp hours. Baseline proficiency in Scratch and WeVideo by the start of the session.
Salary: $1200-$1800 per week

Lead Instructor (Beta Masters)
A dedicated educator, passionate about technology and experienced in teaching 12-15 year old minds. Will lead in demonstration and guidance of camp curriculum, including video game development, leadership training, team-building, and other problem-solving activities. Will manage 2-4 person staff and act as main contact during camp hours. Baseline proficiency in Stencyl required by the start of the session.
Salary: $1200-$1800 per week

Lead Instructor (Internet of Things)
A dedicated educator, passionate about technology and experienced in teaching 12-15 year old minds. Will lead in demonstration and guidance of camp curriculum, including live coding, circuit building, leadership training, and other problem-solving activities. Will manage 2-4 person staff and act as main contact during camp hours. Baseline proficiency in Arduino IDE and Javascript required by the start of the session.
Salary: $1200-$1800 per week

Lead Instructor (Agent Training)
A dedicated educator, passionate about technology and experienced in teaching 9-12 year old minds. Will lead in demonstration and guidance of camp curriculum, including video game development, leadership training, team-building, and other problem-solving activities. Will manage 2-4 person staff and act as main contact during camp hours. Baseline proficiency in Scratch required by the start of the session.
Salary: $1200-$1800 per week

CONTACT Thomas Bacon at [log in to unmask] for more information.