]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  May 2018

VTBIRD May 2018

Re: Looking for landowners who might be interested in managing for grassland birds (10 May - 2:30-4:30)

Don and Nina Huffer <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 May 2018 13:55:10 -0400

Hello,

We are not commercial farmers, but are landowners with a mix of woodlands
and hayfields.  We have not had the fields mowed commercially for a while,
as it's harder to find a farmer who is willing to not cut hay during the
nesting seasons, so we have been doing our own brush hogging of the
fields.  As retirees, the costs are getting more significant, so we
thought we'd check to see if this qualifies.  We are in southern Windsor
County, town of Chester.  Total acreage is about 187 acres in one
property, with a total of around 8 acres in fields; the other property,
not quite contiguous with the first, is around 45 acres, with about 20
acres in fields and an old apple orchard.  We mow the fields very late in
the summer to early or late fall, depending on when we get to it, though
we have been doing some earlier (July) mowing in the field by the house,
to get young milkweed regenerating for Monarch butterfly use (female
Monarchs prefer younger milkweed for laying their eggs).  It's a
trade-off, we know, between Monarchs and field-nesting birds, but we try
to balance that by doing the milkweed mowing as late as possible to allow
the field-nesting birds to fledge, and still getting the milkweed
secondary growth advanced enough by "Monarch season" to be useful to the
butterflies.

Thanks,

Don and Nina Huffer
525 Popple Dungeon Rd.