]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VAGUE Home

VAGUE  October 2018

VAGUE October 2018

Linux_adult_swim Meeting today, Monday October 22nd, 5 PM at 40 Washington Street...

Paul Flint <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Area Group of Unix Enthusiasts <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:43:12 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Greetings List Lurkers,

The Gun-metal Grey Sky Research (as opposed to Blue Sky Research) is what the
fall day here in Barre City is all about...

Looking forward to a different meeting this afternoon, mostly
due to the fact
that just before the meeting starts
I will need to be
traveling towards New York to attend a meeting in Manhattan tomorrow.

So again, I will need a substitute Beta Geek for this afternoon's
meeting.  The good news is Shawn is lined up to do it.

On to the Yaks!

The October Yaks continue to mill about, and not much is getting done to
our perception, so we will need to look over the growing herd...

YAK SHAVING

To stipulate, shaving one Yak is the basic unit of activity for what I appear
to be doing all day.  Thus, what we are doing is lining up the Yaks of last
week and comparing them to the Yaks of next week, extracting the present Yaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mmISldi060

Since last week, new Yaks hover around me, all looking to be shaved... Let me
just write about them in what appears to be priority order:

Yaks that evade shaving...

Son Yak: #1 son last month I got to see his lighting system, which is so damn
cool I cannot believe it.  I am working on reproducing his setup.  Very
awesome...  (On the Yak list for at least the last 6 weeks)

Maybe my approach which involves Atmel hardware is to long a journey, but that
is the way that I am going here...

The good news is that Terry of YourDuino.com is all over the ESP-32's that
seem to be the controlling trend.

With luck I can use these lights at SugarTower, but first electricity...
Got posts up to hold the SugarTower electric meter...Yay!

Circuit Python vs Sketch Yak

The real interesting part of the frantic research that I have been up to in
ATMEL AVR software development is that apparently Lady Ada is moving resolutely
into having a Python interperter called "Circuit Python" on every ATMEL
platform Adafruit sells.  This ties into the realization that in many
classrooms you cannot even teach python, because the CC&CM (Configuration
Control and Change Management) Mafia will not even let you load Python on the
system...

Lady Ada is one smart cookie...

Now we need crossed libraries! (Second Week)

Still working on this... Right now in sketch, but I actually got my first
python funcetion working this week.  I have my eye on a few projects for
the Ghemma M0 that will make everyone weep in frustration.  Think POV.
(Third week on list).

Juypter Yak. Is the answer to all of my problems Juypter Notebooks?  If so why
is Anaconda such a dog to install? (Tenth week on Yak list).  It the ticket to
do this all in Docker ?  The answer is, you can but try to get Docker to
display it!!!  Wonder what port it is using?  Round two is next!
(fifth week)

The Yak of Reuse.

I want to change the flint43.us site into a good site for technorubble.org.
thus http://flint43.us will become the new http"//technorubble.org.
The plan here is not to waste the site, but reuse it.  (Sixth Week)

The CNC Yak

After breaking way too many bits, Anderson, our excellent neighbor,
pointed out that we need new spindle motors.  Got them they are beautiful.
Now for the adapter plate...  After much thinking and drilling the new
spindle motor is on.

Good news. I now have a way to mill styrofoam!

The "gotv.sh" sh yak

What I want to get running is a Get Out The Vote system called govt.sh, which
is, of course, a new Visual Bash Yak.  Next step - Get on to Vote Builder...
(Can anyone smell dead Yak?).

Strangely, this Yak remains.  Hopefully I can get te dreaded VoteBuilder to
cooperate...

Another Yak.
I am trying to develop a replacement for "find".  I am gonna call it "ff.sh"...
(Second Week)

Yet Another Yak (YAY)

The baby Yak I am shaving becomes the Mail Yak:

As I am trying to manage the universe with Visual Bash, for years I have been
archiving my mail to one of the big hard drives here at the casa.

Formalizing this is this morning's fetish.  Want to watch the tragedy?

Here ya go:

http://docbox.flint.com:8081/email#MailManagerScript

...very beta...

I need me a mail manager, Visual Bash becons...

I chip away... (pun intended :^)

So, the short answer is we are still here and the meeting will take place today
at 17:00, and there will be pizza...

Our standard topics once again remain:

- Open Source Educational Human Development

    I am changing the priority of our eternal needs, and placing education
    first, as manifest in a Barre Brain Barn. - Maker Movement A Maker
    Space in Barre?  Why not? We clearly have a Maker Faire profile.  Could it
    be that the commercial power centers are beginning to appreciate the value
    of the maker movement. See:
      http://bbbvt.org/
    Here are the city and statewide plans:
      http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb
    Who has good ideas about a Barre Maker Space.  Why not do digital stone
    soup?

- Move BOSI towards reStructuredText.
   I am researching a tiddly2rest converter.  This would allow us to become
   more git centric... avoid the need to change to gittlywiki...
   We still need to convert...  Maybe the answer is Juypter Notebook...

- Blue Sky R&D,
   Except in Vermont it will be Gun-metal Grey Sky(c) R&D
   (GMGSR&D).  We got the grey sky!

- I fought the DREK and the DREK continues to win. Remember, What
   really is holds us back is DREK!!!  DREK is what happens to your
   workspace (both hardware and software) when you fail to put stuff
   away, or you let your friends or relatives use it.  This is a cosmic
   law.  While having #1Son around helped, I am still fighting DREK.
   How to get over it?  The secret may be empty pellet bags.
   TechnoRubble is hereby defined as organized DREK.  DREK is
   just what you get prior to something becoming TechnoRubble.
   Just to let you know I am desperately trying to turn DREK into
   TechnoRubble.  The ultimate goal being the development and
   implementation of the TechnoRubble Taxonomy.

These four points are really Yaks and are quickly becoming more than our
policy, less like conventional Yaks, and more like prayers... But from now on
they are also Yaks.

On this last area here at Casa Flint Labs, we have made progress, as the DREK
is in remission, and Spring Cleaning continues into summer and on into fall...
Do not all volunteer at once!

Anyway, we have the technology and we will have Pizza tonight 5-7 at Hedding
UMC.  Accept no substitutes... For those coming in via voice or the Internet,
so not forget this information:

...and we hope that there are folks who are gonna try, the swim "TADA" starts
at 6:00 PM EST.

Our ongoing major objective is to continue to try to figure out how to invest
the time and resources to turn the Barre Open Systems Institute into more than
just the Adult Swim technical clinic and more into a real learning facility,
and figure out where our good chairs went. One direction we have been working
on is to begin thinking about classes. The curriculum that I am most interested
in is teaching documentation.

The goal of the meeting shall be unusual, as it will be more about planning and
vision and less about how to get organized and try to get the various projects
moving forward, despite DREK. We continue to wonder about how to build the BOSI
curriculum to this web page:

http://bosivt.org, works, and has just been updated.

Remember, the BOSI Adult Swim is essentially about helping out fellow users of
open source products in a clinic environment.  Despite my very best of
intentions, the Adult Swim is really almost a perpetual Linux install-fest, and
only secondarily a learning environment.

The ever growing list of Yaks (previously called projects, now on our web site
:^) includes the following with no particular organization or accuracy:

http://www.bosivt.org - Must feed this hungry beast. http://bosivt.org, works,
and has just been updates see javascript link to http://family.flint.com/flint
https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/flint.com/tada
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry#MinecraftRaspberryPi Pi Minecraft, cool.
http://www.lakecraft.net/ This is the site we want to get Pi Minecraft working
with. http://bbbvt.org/ Barre Brain Barn. http://ledroid.org Ok, this is a real
project eh? http://docbox.flint.com:8081/travel#VTMakerConf2017
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/technorubble#TechnoRubbleTaxonomy
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry#PiRFID
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/trantor
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/blockchain#blockchainttt
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb http://docbox.flint.com:8081/vm A Docker copy
of VM370 http://docbox.flint.com:8081/kindle The Kindle Liberation Front
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/pyrs A pythonic interface to Income Tax?
http://bzinga.net What happens when you combine Bash and Zenity?
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/nodejs ok, it is on the list.
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/snobot jesum they love this robot
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/furmon monitor that pellet furnace
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/arduino moving in the arduino groove
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/javajive to get better at Javascript
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tsp Temperature Sensors Project
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/robotsrules The quest for Roberts Rules -
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/visual.bash Yea, I am not kidding...
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/mrtg remedial raw mrtg for the slow...
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry all versions
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/strembot.org maybe a very cool project.
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/organized oh please let me be organized!
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/music this may be the least organized
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb A big noble idea.
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/grantbot A less noble idea to feed the
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/gitlywiki is tiddlywiki5 the answer?
http://docbox.flint.com:8080/bosivt.org/directions or, go to http://bosivt.org

This list has been updated... Next we shoot for accuracy!

Otherwise, Barre indeed remains a great venue for a Linux and Open Source
Software discussion and general system rejuvenation. Expect to be remotely
preached at on the various topics of Open Source and how I am confident it
shall cure all the evils and ills of this wicked world.  In a perfect meeting,
people would come in, sit down, see the stuff we have been doing and hopefully
help us get the DIY stuff we are doing done, or maybe just fix a laptop.

So, do not forget that the Aldrich Barre library stocks "Linux Format", and the
latest issue is on the shelf, and it is good.  The DVD's are available to
checkout and copy, we shall to continue provide copies and isos of each and
every one. I am continuing to duplicate about a years worth of DVD's which is
quite a task. You may want to watch this space for developments.

Anyway, come and do free and open source stuff. For more information about the
BOSI Adult Swim meeting time and location try this:

Directions to the Adult Swim:
http://docbox.flint.com:8080/bosivt.org/directions or, go to http://bosivt.org
and click on directions.

Show up at Hedding UMC if you have questions or are interested in Linux or the
concept of free and open systems.  Again, we are in the basement of the Hedding
UMC facility which we like pretty well.

If you wish to be included on the "Linux_adult_swim" mailing list, send a
response to this note, or contact me.

I expect to be chastised by eagle-eyed Dr. Mark, or god forbid, Effin. Note
that Dr. Mark remains our Honorary Editor.

Anyway, looks like I am on the road again...

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360
(802) 595-9365 Cell

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint, Director
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT