Re: The Quest for Quiet

Trey Lemley <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Nov 2018 10:50:47 -0600

Vaping/hookah parties?  That's a new one - in your library?

As noisy as a dance club?  Oh my.

For a (very) short while, we moved our reference desk adjacent to the circ
desk, which is right at the entrance of the library.  It was like a train
station: it was so loud when I received a telephone call with a reference
question, I couldn't hear the caller.  Luckily, that was changed.

However, we have a break room with a microwave at the front door, so some
days the first thing you smell when you enter the library is the aroma of
various student's lunches, in combination, generally very pungent.  Along
with the smell of microwaved popcorn.

But I'm veering off topic: we focusing on the sense of hearing, not the
sense of smell.

Trey Lemley, MLIS, JD, AHIP(D)
Senior Librarian
Reference Coordinator/Information Services Librarian
University of South Alabama Biomedical Library
5791 USA Drive North
CBBL Room 214
Mobile, AL 36688
251-460-6888 (voice)
*Secretary, University of South Alabama Faculty Senate, 2018-2019*
*Past President, University of South Alabama Chapter, The Honor Society of
Phi Kappa Phi*
*ORCID* *iD:* * http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0079-6083
<http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0079-6083> *
Scopus Author ID: 26021912200