LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 16.5

Help for VTBIRD Archives


VTBIRD Archives

VTBIRD Archives


VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  December 2018

VTBIRD December 2018

Subject:

Re: VTBIRD Digest - 5 Dec 2018 to 6 Dec 2018 (#2018-318)

From:

stowelulu <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Fri, 7 Dec 2018 08:34:43 -0500

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (668 lines)

Thanks, Ali, for the lovely memory of that Varied Thrush in Bolton and the amazing hospitality of the couple. It reminded me of the day Liz Lackey and I visited them and how warmly they welcomed us.  A Life List Bird for me!  
Charlotte 
Stowe Hollow 

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 7, 2018, at 12:06 AM, VTBIRD automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> There are 12 messages totaling 685 lines in this issue.
> 
> Topics of the day:
> 
>  1. South Burlington Rough Legged
>  2. VARIED THRUSH   324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
>  3. Peregrine at City Hall in Montpelier
>  4. grosbeaks return - briefly! (2)
>  5. VARIED THRUSH 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018 (5)
>  6. please unsubscribe me.
>  7. <No subject given>
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 11:56:57 -0500
> From:    liz lee <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: South Burlington Rough Legged
> 
> I have seen a rough legged hawk twice this morning in South Burlington 
> on Rt. 116 (Hinesburg Rd.)  south of Kennedy Dr. First, perched on the 
> east side just south of Cheese Factory Rd. (I also saw it in this area a 
> few weeks ago), and then flying near the corner of Landon St. and  Rt 
> 116 a few hours later.
> 
> Liz Lee
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 18:09:58 +0000
> From:    Ruth Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: VARIED THRUSH   324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
> 
> This was an oh-so-brief look, but enough for me to recover from shock and take pictures. Pretty conclusive image!  Not seen in next half hr since.
> 
> 
> Ruth Stewart
> E. Dorset, VT
> 
> 
> ________________________________________
> From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
> Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:00 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: eBird Report - My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
> 
> My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Bennington, Vermont, US
> Dec 6, 2018 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
> Protocol: Stationary
> Comments:     Overcast,  28degrees, dusting of snow on gd. Continuous observation from Office for 4 hrs.
> 4 species (+1 other taxa)
> 
> Mourning Dove  8
> Blue Jay  15     Descended en mass, pigged out and left - 10:30am
> Black-capped Chickadee  4
> Varied Thrush/American Robin  1     I took a look at feeder activity and spotted this bird at 12:40pm. I immediately recognized it as a Varied Thrush and grabbed my camera to snapped pictures without even going through various field marks. It flew off in less than 1 min of picture taking.
> Dark-eyed Junco  4
> 
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50472506
> 
> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:10:54 -0500
> From:    Richard Littauer <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Peregrine at City Hall in Montpelier
> 
> I saw a peregrine take and eat a pigeon on city hall half an hour ago.
> Still there right now. Seems to be unreported on eBird - great to see the
> bird here this afternoon.
> 
> R
> 
> 
> -- 
> Richard | @richlitt <https://twitter.com/richlitt> | burntfen.com
> <http://www.burntfen.com>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:53:28 -0500
> From:    Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: grosbeaks return - briefly!
> 
> At least 21 Evening Grosbeaks appeared a little past 1PM, first eating seeds off two locust trees and then descending en masse and cleaning out three feeders - and then leaving. We’ve put out more seed, but I think the birds are delighting some other birder somewhere by now!
> Maeve Kim
> Jericho Center
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:58:38 -0500
> From:    Charlie La Rosa <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: VARIED THRUSH 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
> 
> Glad to hear this! Brought back so many memories. I grew up in Brattleboro,
> on Pleasant St., and when I was perhaps in 6th grade, having studied the
> little Golden Guide to Birds (which had an illustration of a varied thrush
> near the beginning) from cover to cover and saved up to get my own copy of
> the cloth-covered Peterson, I came home one winter day for lunch, and my
> mother described a different bird she had seen that morning at our feeder,
> From her description, I knew it right away to be a varied thrush, a
> gorgeous bird. Well, the bird returned when I happened to be home and I
> identified it positively. We called Louise Mullen who, at that time, wrote
> a bird column for the Brattleboro Daily Reformer, and very soon the local
> birders were slowing down or stopping in front of the house to get a look
> at the thrush. The next day, when I got home for lunch, our street was
> lined with cars, and I found my mother serving tea and coffee in our
> kitchen to a crush of birders from near and far who had shown up to see the
> bird. There was a group from Mass. Audubon in Littleton that had made the
> trip. They also wanted to meet the boy who had identified the bird. Of
> course, people were skeptical at first, but once an adult birder, one who
> was deemed reliable enough, confirmed the ID, the gates were opened. The
> bird stayed around for a number of days and was very cooperative in giving
> audiences to the elite and not so elite of New England birders.
> 
> A couple of years later, a black-headed grosbeak showed up and there was no
> skepticism that time around. That was 56 or 57 years ago. We had throngs of
> evening grosbeaks crowding our feeder every day throughout the winter back
> then. Pine grosbeaks were a common occurrence in the big spruce tree in our
> neighbor's yard. Tree swallows nested in a box I made and put on the
> highest branch of our apple tree that was sturdy enough to still allow me
> to climb and get a look. Today, the apple is long gone, as are the cherry
> and the giant elm and the sugar maple in the front yard. I didn't notice
> any feeders around the last time I drove through the neighborhood. Nothing
> stays the same for very long, but I still feed the birds in winter.
> 
> Charlie La Rosa
> So. Washington, VT
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM Ruth Stewart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
>> This was an oh-so-brief look, but enough for me to recover from shock and
>> take pictures. Pretty conclusive image!  Not seen in next half hr since.
>> 
>> 
>> Ruth Stewart
>> E. Dorset, VT
>> 
>> 
>> ________________________________________
>> From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
>> Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:00 PM
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: eBird Report - My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec
>> 6, 2018
>> 
>> My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Bennington, Vermont, US
>> Dec 6, 2018 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
>> Protocol: Stationary
>> Comments:     Overcast,  28degrees, dusting of snow on gd. Continuous
>> observation from Office for 4 hrs.
>> 4 species (+1 other taxa)
>> 
>> Mourning Dove  8
>> Blue Jay  15     Descended en mass, pigged out and left - 10:30am
>> Black-capped Chickadee  4
>> Varied Thrush/American Robin  1     I took a look at feeder activity and
>> spotted this bird at 12:40pm. I immediately recognized it as a Varied
>> Thrush and grabbed my camera to snapped pictures without even going through
>> various field marks. It flew off in less than 1 min of picture taking.
>> Dark-eyed Junco  4
>> 
>> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50472506
>> 
>> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (
>> https://ebird.org/home)
>> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 14:13:44 -0500
> From:    Scott Morrical <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: VARIED THRUSH 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
> 
> Beauty!  Congrats, Ruth!
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
>> On Dec 6, 2018, at 1:58 PM, Charlie La Rosa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
>> Glad to hear this! Brought back so many memories. I grew up in Brattleboro,
>> on Pleasant St., and when I was perhaps in 6th grade, having studied the
>> little Golden Guide to Birds (which had an illustration of a varied thrush
>> near the beginning) from cover to cover and saved up to get my own copy of
>> the cloth-covered Peterson, I came home one winter day for lunch, and my
>> mother described a different bird she had seen that morning at our feeder,
>> From her description, I knew it right away to be a varied thrush, a
>> gorgeous bird. Well, the bird returned when I happened to be home and I
>> identified it positively. We called Louise Mullen who, at that time, wrote
>> a bird column for the Brattleboro Daily Reformer, and very soon the local
>> birders were slowing down or stopping in front of the house to get a look
>> at the thrush. The next day, when I got home for lunch, our street was
>> lined with cars, and I found my mother serving tea and coffee in our
>> kitchen to a crush of birders from near and far who had shown up to see the
>> bird. There was a group from Mass. Audubon in Littleton that had made the
>> trip. They also wanted to meet the boy who had identified the bird. Of
>> course, people were skeptical at first, but once an adult birder, one who
>> was deemed reliable enough, confirmed the ID, the gates were opened. The
>> bird stayed around for a number of days and was very cooperative in giving
>> audiences to the elite and not so elite of New England birders.
>> 
>> A couple of years later, a black-headed grosbeak showed up and there was no
>> skepticism that time around. That was 56 or 57 years ago. We had throngs of
>> evening grosbeaks crowding our feeder every day throughout the winter back
>> then. Pine grosbeaks were a common occurrence in the big spruce tree in our
>> neighbor's yard. Tree swallows nested in a box I made and put on the
>> highest branch of our apple tree that was sturdy enough to still allow me
>> to climb and get a look. Today, the apple is long gone, as are the cherry
>> and the giant elm and the sugar maple in the front yard. I didn't notice
>> any feeders around the last time I drove through the neighborhood. Nothing
>> stays the same for very long, but I still feed the birds in winter.
>> 
>> Charlie La Rosa
>> So. Washington, VT
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM Ruth Stewart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> This was an oh-so-brief look, but enough for me to recover from shock and
>>> take pictures. Pretty conclusive image!  Not seen in next half hr since.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Ruth Stewart
>>> E. Dorset, VT
>>> 
>>> 
>>> ________________________________________
>>> From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
>>> Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:00 PM
>>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>> Subject: eBird Report - My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec
>>> 6, 2018
>>> 
>>> My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Bennington, Vermont, US
>>> Dec 6, 2018 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
>>> Protocol: Stationary
>>> Comments:     Overcast,  28degrees, dusting of snow on gd. Continuous
>>> observation from Office for 4 hrs.
>>> 4 species (+1 other taxa)
>>> 
>>> Mourning Dove  8
>>> Blue Jay  15     Descended en mass, pigged out and left - 10:30am
>>> Black-capped Chickadee  4
>>> Varied Thrush/American Robin  1     I took a look at feeder activity and
>>> spotted this bird at 12:40pm. I immediately recognized it as a Varied
>>> Thrush and grabbed my camera to snapped pictures without even going through
>>> various field marks. It flew off in less than 1 min of picture taking.
>>> Dark-eyed Junco  4
>>> 
>>> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50472506
>>> 
>>> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (
>>> https://ebird.org/home)
>>> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 15:15:25 -0500
> From:    Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: VARIED THRUSH 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
> 
> Great story, Charlie.  Thanks for the reminiscences.  I've always wondered
> what it must be like to be the innocent recipients of so much attention
> from crowds of birders.  Some people hate it, apparently.  I love your
> mother's generous reaction!
> 
> Jane
> (Shoreham)
> 
> 
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:58:38 -0500, Charlie La Rosa
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Glad to hear this! Brought back so many memories. I grew up in
> Brattleboro,
>> on Pleasant St., and when I was perhaps in 6th grade, having studied the
>> little Golden Guide to Birds (which had an illustration of a varied
> thrush
>> near the beginning) from cover to cover and saved up to get my own copy
> of
>> the cloth-covered Peterson, I came home one winter day for lunch, and my
>> mother described a different bird she had seen that morning at our
> feeder,
>> From her description, I knew it right away to be a varied thrush, a
>> gorgeous bird. Well, the bird returned when I happened to be home and I
>> identified it positively. We called Louise Mullen who, at that time,
> wrote
>> a bird column for the Brattleboro Daily Reformer, and very soon the
> local
>> birders were slowing down or stopping in front of the house to get a
> look
>> at the thrush. The next day, when I got home for lunch, our street was
>> lined with cars, and I found my mother serving tea and coffee in our
>> kitchen to a crush of birders from near and far who had shown up to see
> the
>> bird. There was a group from Mass. Audubon in Littleton that had made
> the
>> trip. They also wanted to meet the boy who had identified the bird. Of
>> course, people were skeptical at first, but once an adult birder, one
> who
>> was deemed reliable enough, confirmed the ID, the gates were opened. The
>> bird stayed around for a number of days and was very cooperative in
> giving
>> audiences to the elite and not so elite of New England birders.
>> 
>> A couple of years later, a black-headed grosbeak showed up and there was
> no
>> skepticism that time around. That was 56 or 57 years ago. We had throngs
> of
>> evening grosbeaks crowding our feeder every day throughout the winter
> back
>> then. Pine grosbeaks were a common occurrence in the big spruce tree in
> our
>> neighbor's yard. Tree swallows nested in a box I made and put on the
>> highest branch of our apple tree that was sturdy enough to still allow
> me
>> to climb and get a look. Today, the apple is long gone, as are the
> cherry
>> and the giant elm and the sugar maple in the front yard. I didn't notice
>> any feeders around the last time I drove through the neighborhood.
> Nothing
>> stays the same for very long, but I still feed the birds in winter.
>> 
>> Charlie La Rosa
>> So. Washington, VT
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM Ruth Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>> 
>>> This was an oh-so-brief look, but enough for me to recover from shock
> and
>>> take pictures. Pretty conclusive image!  Not seen in next half hr
> since.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Ruth Stewart
>>> E. Dorset, VT
>>> 
>>> 
>>> ________________________________________
>>> From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
>>> Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:00 PM
>>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>> Subject: eBird Report - My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset,
> Dec
>>> 6, 2018
>>> 
>>> My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Bennington, Vermont, US
>>> Dec 6, 2018 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
>>> Protocol: Stationary
>>> Comments:     Overcast,  28degrees, dusting of snow on gd. Continuous
>>> observation from Office for 4 hrs.
>>> 4 species (+1 other taxa)
>>> 
>>> Mourning Dove  8
>>> Blue Jay  15     Descended en mass, pigged out and left - 10:30am
>>> Black-capped Chickadee  4
>>> Varied Thrush/American Robin  1     I took a look at feeder activity
> and
>>> spotted this bird at 12:40pm. I immediately recognized it as a Varied
>>> Thrush and grabbed my camera to snapped pictures without even going
>>> through
>>> various field marks. It flew off in less than 1 min of picture taking.
>>> Dark-eyed Junco  4
>>> 
>>> View this checklist online at
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50472506
>>> 
>>> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (
>>> https://ebird.org/home)
>>> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:05:15 +0000
> From:    Dawn Little <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: please unsubscribe me.
> 
> Please take my name off the list.
> Thanks,
> Dawn Little
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 16:59:25 -0500
> From:    Ruth Coppersmith <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: VARIED THRUSH 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
> 
> Sweet story.  Thanks for sharing Charlie
> 
>> On Dec 6, 2018, at 1:58 PM, Charlie La Rosa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
>> Glad to hear this! Brought back so many memories. I grew up in Brattleboro,
>> on Pleasant St., and when I was perhaps in 6th grade, having studied the
>> little Golden Guide to Birds (which had an illustration of a varied thrush
>> near the beginning) from cover to cover and saved up to get my own copy of
>> the cloth-covered Peterson, I came home one winter day for lunch, and my
>> mother described a different bird she had seen that morning at our feeder,
>> From her description, I knew it right away to be a varied thrush, a
>> gorgeous bird. Well, the bird returned when I happened to be home and I
>> identified it positively. We called Louise Mullen who, at that time, wrote
>> a bird column for the Brattleboro Daily Reformer, and very soon the local
>> birders were slowing down or stopping in front of the house to get a look
>> at the thrush. The next day, when I got home for lunch, our street was
>> lined with cars, and I found my mother serving tea and coffee in our
>> kitchen to a crush of birders from near and far who had shown up to see the
>> bird. There was a group from Mass. Audubon in Littleton that had made the
>> trip. They also wanted to meet the boy who had identified the bird. Of
>> course, people were skeptical at first, but once an adult birder, one who
>> was deemed reliable enough, confirmed the ID, the gates were opened. The
>> bird stayed around for a number of days and was very cooperative in giving
>> audiences to the elite and not so elite of New England birders.
>> 
>> A couple of years later, a black-headed grosbeak showed up and there was no
>> skepticism that time around. That was 56 or 57 years ago. We had throngs of
>> evening grosbeaks crowding our feeder every day throughout the winter back
>> then. Pine grosbeaks were a common occurrence in the big spruce tree in our
>> neighbor's yard. Tree swallows nested in a box I made and put on the
>> highest branch of our apple tree that was sturdy enough to still allow me
>> to climb and get a look. Today, the apple is long gone, as are the cherry
>> and the giant elm and the sugar maple in the front yard. I didn't notice
>> any feeders around the last time I drove through the neighborhood. Nothing
>> stays the same for very long, but I still feed the birds in winter.
>> 
>> Charlie La Rosa
>> So. Washington, VT
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM Ruth Stewart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> This was an oh-so-brief look, but enough for me to recover from shock and
>>> take pictures. Pretty conclusive image!  Not seen in next half hr since.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Ruth Stewart
>>> E. Dorset, VT
>>> 
>>> 
>>> ________________________________________
>>> From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
>>> Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:00 PM
>>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>> Subject: eBird Report - My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec
>>> 6, 2018
>>> 
>>> My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Bennington, Vermont, US
>>> Dec 6, 2018 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
>>> Protocol: Stationary
>>> Comments:     Overcast,  28degrees, dusting of snow on gd. Continuous
>>> observation from Office for 4 hrs.
>>> 4 species (+1 other taxa)
>>> 
>>> Mourning Dove  8
>>> Blue Jay  15     Descended en mass, pigged out and left - 10:30am
>>> Black-capped Chickadee  4
>>> Varied Thrush/American Robin  1     I took a look at feeder activity and
>>> spotted this bird at 12:40pm. I immediately recognized it as a Varied
>>> Thrush and grabbed my camera to snapped pictures without even going through
>>> various field marks. It flew off in less than 1 min of picture taking.
>>> Dark-eyed Junco  4
>>> 
>>> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50472506
>>> 
>>> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (
>>> https://ebird.org/home)
>>> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 20:53:25 -0500
> From:    Mundi Smithers <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: grosbeaks return - briefly!
> 
> They have performed much the same here in North Pownal.  They blow in, perform a feeding frenzy, and Poof, they are gone!  Kiss and tell!
> 
> Mundi
> North Pownal
> 
> Sent from my iPad
> 
> The greatest tragedy in mankind’s entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
> Arthur C Clarke 1917 - 2008
> 
>> On Dec 6, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
>> At least 21 Evening Grosbeaks appeared a little past 1PM, first eating seeds off two locust trees and then descending en masse and cleaning out three feeders - and then leaving. We’ve put out more seed, but I think the birds are delighting some other birder somewhere by now!
>> Maeve Kim
>> Jericho Center
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:19:01 -0500
> From:    alison wagner <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: VARIED THRUSH 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
> 
> Thanks, Ruth and Charlie!  Varied Thrushes will always remind me of “V.T.,” who spent the winter months some years ago, in a trailer park in Bolton.  The bird appeared in the yard of Don and June Kinney at a crucial time in June’s life.  She was weakened by a heart condition, in need of surgery, and she credited “V.T.” with saving her life.  From her bedroom window she would look for this bird every morning.  Don made special suet cakes to bribe the bird to stay, which it did until spring.    And like the story Charlie told, their home was open to every obsessive birder that knocked on their door.  I remember one visit, walking into her bedroom to find several people sitting on the edge of her bed, chatting while peering out the window in hopes to see the bird.   Another time she said with a smile and a sparkle in her eye, “ I have never entertained so many men in my bedroom before now.”  There was so much life and love packed into that cozy home.   The bird, and the birding friends that she made, gave her the strength to live.  I will never forget June, her wonderful spirit and sense of humor.  Birds bring people to friendships....that’s a pretty amazing feat for such a small creature.
> 
> Ali
> Huntington
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ruth Coppersmith <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Sent: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 16:59:25 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] VARIED THRUSH 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
> 
> Sweet story.  Thanks for sharing Charlie
> 
>> On Dec 6, 2018, at 1:58 PM, Charlie La Rosa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
>> Glad to hear this! Brought back so many memories. I grew up in Brattleboro,
>> on Pleasant St., and when I was perhaps in 6th grade, having studied the
>> little Golden Guide to Birds (which had an illustration of a varied thrush
>> near the beginning) from cover to cover and saved up to get my own copy of
>> the cloth-covered Peterson, I came home one winter day for lunch, and my
>> mother described a different bird she had seen that morning at our feeder,
>> From her description, I knew it right away to be a varied thrush, a
>> gorgeous bird. Well, the bird returned when I happened to be home and I
>> identified it positively. We called Louise Mullen who, at that time, wrote
>> a bird column for the Brattleboro Daily Reformer, and very soon the local
>> birders were slowing down or stopping in front of the house to get a look
>> at the thrush. The next day, when I got home for lunch, our street was
>> lined with cars, and I found my mother serving tea and coffee in our
>> kitchen to a crush of birders from near and far who had shown up to see the
>> bird. There was a group from Mass. Audubon in Littleton that had made the
>> trip. They also wanted to meet the boy who had identified the bird. Of
>> course, people were skeptical at first, but once an adult birder, one who
>> was deemed reliable enough, confirmed the ID, the gates were opened. The
>> bird stayed around for a number of days and was very cooperative in giving
>> audiences to the elite and not so elite of New England birders.
>> 
>> A couple of years later, a black-headed grosbeak showed up and there was no
>> skepticism that time around. That was 56 or 57 years ago. We had throngs of
>> evening grosbeaks crowding our feeder every day throughout the winter back
>> then. Pine grosbeaks were a common occurrence in the big spruce tree in our
>> neighbor's yard. Tree swallows nested in a box I made and put on the
>> highest branch of our apple tree that was sturdy enough to still allow me
>> to climb and get a look. Today, the apple is long gone, as are the cherry
>> and the giant elm and the sugar maple in the front yard. I didn't notice
>> any feeders around the last time I drove through the neighborhood. Nothing
>> stays the same for very long, but I still feed the birds in winter.
>> 
>> Charlie La Rosa
>> So. Washington, VT
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM Ruth Stewart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> This was an oh-so-brief look, but enough for me to recover from shock and
>>> take pictures. Pretty conclusive image!  Not seen in next half hr since.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Ruth Stewart
>>> E. Dorset, VT
>>> 
>>> 
>>> ________________________________________
>>> From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
>>> Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:00 PM
>>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>> Subject: eBird Report - My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec
>>> 6, 2018
>>> 
>>> My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Bennington, Vermont, US
>>> Dec 6, 2018 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
>>> Protocol: Stationary
>>> Comments:     Overcast,  28degrees, dusting of snow on gd. Continuous
>>> observation from Office for 4 hrs.
>>> 4 species (+1 other taxa)
>>> 
>>> Mourning Dove  8
>>> Blue Jay  15     Descended en mass, pigged out and left - 10:30am
>>> Black-capped Chickadee  4
>>> Varied Thrush/American Robin  1     I took a look at feeder activity and
>>> spotted this bird at 12:40pm. I immediately recognized it as a Varied
>>> Thrush and grabbed my camera to snapped pictures without even going through
>>> various field marks. It flew off in less than 1 min of picture taking.
>>> Dark-eyed Junco  4
>>> 
>>> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50472506
>>> 
>>> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (
>>> https://ebird.org/home)
>>> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:28:13 -0500
> From:    Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: <No subject given>
> 
> I had big dreams when we kick off Vermont eBird, the first state portal,
> way back in 2003. But this outcome blows those early dreams away! The bird
> observations submitted by you and many others contribute to these exciting
> new results. Introducing the eBird Status and Trends—detailed population
> information for 107 species of North American birds, providing an
> unprecedented depth of information in four key areas: abundance maps,
> 10-year population trend maps, habitat association charts, and range maps.
> All brought to you by birders like you and data scientists at team eBird.
> Check out the whole story on Vermont eBird, see some example maps (spoiler
> alert: the Wood Thrush breeding season population trend map will make you
> cry), and explore more results.
> 
> 
> Read the whole story and explore more on Vermont eBird, a project of the
> Vermont Atlas of Life, at
> https://ebird.org/vt/news/a-new-era-of-ebird-science-status-and-trends
> 
> 
> Let's keep the data rolling in Green Mountain birders! Per capita, we're
> the best!
> 
> 
> Thank you!
> 
> Kent
> 
> 
> _________________________
> 
> KP McFarland added,____________________________
> 
> Kent McFarland
> Vermont Center for Ecostudies
> PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
> 802.649.1431 x201
> @KPMcFarland <https://twitter.com/KPMcFarland>
> Visit the Vermont Atlas of Life <http://val.vtecostudies.org>
> <https://vtecostudies.org/>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of VTBIRD Digest - 5 Dec 2018 to 6 Dec 2018 (#2018-318)
> ***********************************************************

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

Advanced Options


Options

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Search Archives

Search Archives


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

September 2021
August 2021
July 2021
June 2021
May 2021
April 2021
March 2021
February 2021
January 2021
December 2020
November 2020
October 2020
September 2020
August 2020
July 2020
June 2020
May 2020
April 2020
March 2020
February 2020
January 2020
December 2019
November 2019
October 2019
September 2019
August 2019
July 2019
June 2019
May 2019
April 2019
March 2019
February 2019
January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
July 2002
June 2002
May 2002
April 2002
March 2002
February 2002

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LIST.UVM.EDU

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager