MEDLIB-L January 2019, Week 2

"King, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>

King, Fred

Fri, 11 Jan 2019 08:05:25 -0500

Esteemed colleagues,

A huge round of thanks to everyone who responded. Pretty much everybody liked Zotero--nobody recommended I get as far away from it as I possibly could and stock up on index cards instead. (Remember index cards?) Opinions on the learning curve ranged from easy to typical to steep. One person noted that rapid customer support doesn't exist and that blogs, etc., aren't directed towards newbies. (Paraphrased--see below.) That is one of the limitations of open-source software.

I cut and pasted the responses below, which I've tried to group into rough categories. Each response is separated by ---, and my comments are [in brackets]. If I managed to cut and paste your response in a way that contradicted what you were saying, please feel free to point it out. (I think I caught one in time.)

I'm not sure what my e-mail system is going to do with the formatting. I hope it's readable.

Happy Friday everyone! We're supposed to get snow here in the DC region this weekend, which gives me an excuse to post a link to my venerable (i.e., old) snow poem:
   http://www.philobiblios.net/poetry/snow_is_coming.html
And now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to the store and figure how to fit sixteen loaves of bread, twelve gallons of milk, and ten cases of toilet paper into the back of my Smart ForTwo.

Fred King
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

Not to know is bad. Not to wish to know is worse.
--African Proverb

Zotero:

[General]
---
Personally, I am a fan of Zotero. It is really easy to use and, in my opinion, is more user-friendly than Endnote and Refworks. We support it on our campus and the learning curve is mild. Making sure you have your account synced to the software as well as the connector (how you save items from your browser when searching) is the biggest thing and will only need to be done at set up. Plus it integrates with Word as well as Google Docs :)
---
I'm a huge Zotero fan. To me, it is easier to use than Endnote or other costlier options. It has a browser button you can install (used to be just for Firefox, but now works with most browsers I believe) and then to add a source to your Zotero library while online, you simply click that button. Zotero will recognize what kind of source it is (works most of the time, but sometimes the user may need to select webpage vs. article for example), and add it to the Zotero library, including saving any proxy logins to access full text. There is no need to import records from databases or export from databases.
---
I used Zotero for my own doctoral research the last few years and felt like it was a great fit for me. It integrates with Word, allows me to organize my sources into different folders, etc.
---
We have a RefWorks license, and a limited number of licenses for EndNote available free to affiliates.  I teach Zotero to my "Introduction to Drug Information" students for several reasons.  1) We don't have enough EndNote licenses available for many years of Intro to DI students and they would lose the right to use EndNote for free when they graduated. 2) RefWorks has different citation insertion tools for the variety of OS and Word versions used by my students (very hard to teach effectively to a large group) and RefWorks requires computer administrator involvement when installing the citation insertion tool (and, thus, isn't available on campus' computer clusters).   Zotero has, for the most part, one look/feel on the OS and Word versions I teach.  Zotero, for whatever reason, can be installed without computer administrator approval.  An administrator approval box may pop up, but you can say "No" to it or close it and the installation will continue (at least on our campus).  Thus, I can teach it easily in our computer labs and while using computers in the campus clusters.
---
I have used Zotero and like it. My preference is Mendeley just because it is more seamless across all of your devices. For best results I recommend that patrons create an online account, get the desktop app, upload the Zotero Connector and Word plugin.
---
Is it relatively straightforward to use?
Yes it is easy to use.  The Mac and Windows versions are very similar, and the differences are in the more advanced features (e.g. where to find "Preferences" ). The Zotero-associated tools (the browser and Word add-ons/add-ins) used with different OS or Word versions are identical (or nearly identical). This makes it relatively easy to teach.

Zotero's duplicate detection is superior to EndNote and RefWorks in my opinion.  Duplicates can be merged in Zotero. This eliminates the need to go through a Word document and remove the member of a duplicate pair that would have had to be deleted in EndNote and RefWorks. This is a HUGE advantage when working with inexperienced users.

The beta version of Zotero can be used with Google Docs.  I have encountered no problems with the beta version.  It's possible that the Google Docs integration capability is now part of the standard Zotero program (I haven't checked recently).

Zotero's citation formatting is superior to Mendeley in my experience.
---
What important question am I leaving out?
You probably know this already, but rapid customer support doesn't exist.  Many of the supporting blogs, etc. are conversations between developers or tech savvy users and developers.  They often assume a base level of knowledge, familiarity with CSL coding, etc.  That said, I have only really needed these materials to find the Google Docs-compatible version of Zotero and to work on custom citation styles.

[one paragraph was moved to Learning Curve]

My observation is that Zotero seems to be well-suited for the workflow of humanities scholars and other "non-science" people (more likely to be grabbing single citations, capturing non-database sources, etc.), but that EndNote interfaces better with PubMed, Web of Science (duh!) and other sources that are a large part of the medical/health sciences workflow, and deals better with organizing and manipulating large downloads of citations.
---

[Limitations]
---
The only downfall is you cannot really do a systematic review with Zotero. Once you have over ~7,000 records the software cannot handle the load. Most students, and even researchers, may not hit that mark so I would suggest it.
---
One weakness (which is also a weakness in other software) is in correct citation formatting. Like other systems, Zotero goes by the metadata it has stored for that record. If the article title is in title caps or all caps in the article record in your Zotero library, it will be that way in your reference as well. If you saved the article metadata from a site that does not have the abbreviated journal title (anywhere other than PubMed for the most part), Zotero can't go out and search for the correct abbreviation for you to use in your references. It will just use the full journal title. These details can be edited in the metadata stored in your Zotero library before creating the reference list so that the reference is correct, or users can recognize and edit these issues in their Word document after creating the reference list.
---
Any limits/lacking features that make it less attractive? It is definitely less robust than EndNote for projects like systematic reviews. If your users conduct SRs, you could explore licensing EndNote on a more limited basis (individual licenses, packages of 10, etc). The output styles also don't seem as accurate or polished as EndNote.
---
I use it and teach it to faculty and students.  It's pretty good for a free resource. Sometimes it seems to me it doesn't work as well as it should, but maybe it's a browser issue.
---
I've only noted one problem several times.  Occasionally, a document's in-text citations will not renumber as needed.  If you ever encounter a document that isn't renumbering correctly.  Change the output style  and then switch back to the desired style.  The renumbering will occur.
---
It is much harder to develop a custom citation style in Zotero or Mendeley than it is in RefWorks.  You have to be able to use CSL to edit a citation style for these two programs.  I have created custom Zotero styles, but it took much more time than developing a customized style in RefWorks.  I personally find EndNote's custom style development tools difficult.  I'm sure that, if I used them regularly, I would find these tools easier than developing a style using CSL.  You can ask those in the Zotero community to develop a style for you, but this wouldn't be a high priority for them.  I believe I read somewhere that asking if anyone would develop a style for you and offering to pay, might bring a quick response.
---

[Browser Support]
---
At the time we were looking at what citation software to support we learned that Zotero really only worked with Firefox which is not supported at our hospital. We chose to support EndNote and Mendeley. We do not offer an institutional subscription to EndNote but a lot of of researchers and authors use it so we pay for the program to be installed on our Endnote librarian guru computers so that they can help people with it.
---
[It appears to support more browsers now.]
---
I have not found that to be the case. We mostly use Chrome at my two libraries, and it works great, though there are some bugs when you get "inside' either EBSCO and ProQuest. Where it kind of falls down is if you want to do anything but a direct download of results, but there is a nice user created add-on that enables you to make a decent APA formatted bib out of the results, which some of my users prefer. I think you get more than what you pay for, considering it's free! :)
---
We are using Zotero here at [redacted]. It also works with Chrome and I'm pretty sure with Safari as well.
---

[Learning Curve]

How about the learning curve? No greater than that of competitors (eg EndNote)
---
The learning curve is no steeper than that for EndNote or RefWorks.  Most find it easier to learn than EndNote.
---
As with anything, it depends on what you are trying to do. Endnote has options for searching certain sites (like PubMed) right within the Endnote software, which is useful for systematic reviews or other projects where you will want to add large numbers of results to your library all at once. Zotero does not have that functionality, but for the average person searching online and wanting to save certain good sources they find, Zotero is superior in my opinion.

We work with students all the time whose instructors have recommended that they use Endnote, and they really struggle to master it. Once we introduce them to Zotero, they are good to go. They find it so much easier and straightforward to use.
---
We recommend Zotero to faculty, staff, and students because it's free and can stay with them from institution to institution. We've found that the learning curve is fairly steep, and that it's not the most obvious software compared to Mendeley or EndNote, but the benefit of Zotero is that it has a large body of documentation associated with it. It's easy to search for help to any problem and find a good solution. I would definitely recommend it with the caveat that it may take time to become comfortable with it.
---

[Suggestions for Other Products]
---
Did you get anyone mentioning Basic EndNote, which is free?
---
Have you looked at F1000 Workspace? There is a free version available here:

https://f1000workspace.com/?lg

I like it much better than Zotero or Mendeley as a free option for citation management, I've gotten very positive feedback from the Biosciences and Dental faculty I've recommended it to, and I've actually started to prefer it to EndNote myself for most things, except for systematic review projects, for now.

If you've got a F1000 Prime subscription you'll have a link to F1000 Workspace at the top of the landing page. As far as I know the only difference between the two is a limit on the storage available in the free account.
---

[Useful links]

https://www.library.ohio.edu/research/the-research-process/citation-guides/zotero-2/

https://my.clevelandclinic.libguides.com/citationmgmt