Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 2019, Week 2

MEDLIB-L April 2019, Week 2

Re: "Ending subscription to UpToDate"

"Regenberg, Patricia" <[log in to unmask]>

Regenberg, Patricia

Wed, 10 Apr 2019 19:01:03 +0000

Sorry for the long delay, I asked if anyone was successful in giving UTD the boot.  Below are some of the comments I received.

We dropped U2D for 3 campus system in 2014. I won't say that it wasn't without pain (providers angst) but it was successful. Since then, we have added 3 merger sites that all had U2D and dropped it from each site as they merged. I had prepared a comparison of Dynamed/UpToDate prior to cancellation but senior management made the final decision and took the heat. At least once a year I hear -- "do you have U2D" but fall back on the announcement made by CMO and that is usually the end of it. I have heard through the grapevine that one department has since set up their own U2D (contrary to what Finance Department was supposed to allow) but that is the only access that I know of in our now .  There was some discussion about resurrecting it last year but budgets were so constricted it really wasn't a serious one.  We also offer PEPID, ClinicalKey, Access Medicine, VisualDx, and other specialized programs

I dropped our subscription to Up To Date years ago because they priced themselves out of the library budget.  The doctors complained so much that the hospital pays for it separate from our budget.  I subscribe to DynaMed Plus through EBSCO.  I highly recommend it.  It is evidence based and I think it is a great resource.  Plus it is within my meager budget.  We have had Up To Date linked to our electronic health record and now also have DynaMed Plus linked as well.

"has had a system-wide subscription to UTD for many years.  This year they decided to drop it and replace it with ClinicalKey effective July 1.  (Yes, I know the 2 products are in no way comparable.)  There was enough backlash from physicians here that our local group decided to fund UTD for one more year.  (It seems to me that it's going to be just as painful next year, but that was their decision.)  Right now we are in-between; we have CK and UTD access has not yet been restored, at least as far as I know.  There was some discussion earlier about whether the restored UTD access will be just for providers or everybody.

This past spring we trialed DynaMed Plus and the response was cold, if not downright hostile from our Internal Medicine Faculty and interns/residents. They acted as if replacing UTD with DP was an existential threat to them and patients. It was an unpleasant learning experience.
Biggest mistake:  I told a few faculty and staff physicians that it wasn't just a Dynamed Plus trial, rather we were looking to replace UTD with it due to cost concerns. Don't make that mistake. As a result, everyone ignored the trial for the most part and just focused on keeping UTD. We also had some technical glitches with DynaMed Plus and didn't roll out the trial well to our internal audiences.
Lastly, DynaMed Plus needs some work still. Some like its approach, but other physicians prefer its encyclopedic approach to topics along with its narrative style.

I believe if we showed a united front to UTD that we're living without it, using a different comparable product, then they would (ideally) come back with a more competitive rate.
This reminds me of Micromedex thinking they were the only game in town and not figuring on LexiComp being a comparable product.

We got rid of ours based on cost-per-use, but the residents badly wanted it back. It is now paid for by our affiliated hospital system at an administrative level that has nothing to do with the libraries. Access generously includes us (the university).

We dropped ours around 2012, so it's been a while.  At the time we had DynaMed so we had something in place at least.   We upgraded to DynaMedPlus a couple of years ago.   We get questions about UTD from time to time, but when we tell people the reasons behind our cancellation, they usually understand.   The most basic reason is that at the time we had only onsite access and the cost quadrupled to provide remote access.    Our CMIO at the time got together a group to evaluate all of our point-of-care tools to see what we might cancel to free up funds to support UTD.    There really wasn't anything.   Yes, we could have cancelled DynaMed but that wouldn't have brought us close and UTD didn't replace anything else that we had at the time.    Residents who want it can use their educational fund to purchase it and physicians can purchase it themselves or have their departments purchase individual subscriptions for them.   I don't have any data on how many individual subscriptions are around.       In the last couple of years there has been some movement to re-subscribe but no one group has offered to pay for it.  Efforts by a couple of groups to get multiple departments to contribute funds from their budgets have not been successful.   I think that's what it would take to reinstate it here.

Pat

Pat Regenberg MLS AHIP
Library Manager
Overlook Medical Center
Atlantic Health System
99 Beauvoir Ave.
Summit, NJ 07901
p(908)-522-2886
f (908) 522-2274

[cid:[log in to unmask]][cid:[log in to unmask]]

The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the person(s) identified above. This communication may contain work product which is privileged and confidential, and may contain content which is regulated by Federal law. If you are not an intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible to deliver this to the intended recipient, you have received this message in error and any review, distribution or copying of it by you is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the message. E-mail and communication system messages generated by members of the Atlantic Health System workforce may not necessarily reflect the views of Atlantic Health System, its officers, directors or management.