VTBIRD Archives

May 2019

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
CLYDE YARNELL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2019 19:23:36 -0400
I too am seeing Baltimore Orioles eating suet. For a week I hung a feeder
with orange halves and grape jelly from the bottom of a suet cage and the
birds would alternate between the feeders. Today I had 6 Baltimore Orioles
on several oranges and a few would move to the suet cages, now on different
poles, then back to the oranges. I have replaced the 8 devoured orange halves
3 times today. I ended up shoving them on the ends of the shepherd's hooks
as well as on the feeders. Sent my husband for an 8# bag of oranges this
evening because we were running out of oranges for the dawn feeding.

Carol Yarnell
South Alburgh