VTBIRD Archives

May 2019

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
sarah rosedahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2019 13:18:02 +0000
Yes, a few. Last year there were 2 pair.Stop by any time. The males like to sit in the forsythia hedge and sing.
4 years ago I got rid of the farmer who insisted on haying twice/year. Now our neighbor, who appreciates wildlife, hays and will wait until mid-July at the earliest, or later.
Now I just need to convince other neighbors and people in North Hero, who are just land owners, have no animals to feed, that they can delay haying if they choose to. I think it is partly habit, partly some notion that fields look messy with long grass, and pressure from farmers, who don't own the land but have the equipment, who want to hay 2 to 3 times.
Sarah

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 8:12 AM, Sarah Fellows<[log in to unmask]> wrote: Are they usually there?
Wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone