Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  July 2019

VTBIRD July 2019

Re: VTBIRD Digest - 11 Jul 2019 to 12 Jul 2019 (#2019-170)

carolclyde <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Jul 2019 11:29:49 -0400

Hi Larry and Mona,My observations this week regarding decrease in hummers at feeders.  There is a patch of red bee balm in the flowers near the feeder and the birds are coming to the flowers and ignoring the feeder at least half of the time I see them.  Maybe the same is happening in your area.Carol Yarnell South Alburgh Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: VTBIRD automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> Date: 7/13/19 12:00 AM (GMT-05:00) To: [log in to unmask] Subject: VTBIRD Digest - 11 Jul 2019 to 12 Jul 2019 (#2019-170) There are 13 messages totaling 639 lines in this issue.Topics of the day:  1. Where have all the hummers gone?  (Long time passing) (4)  2. Ebird? (3)  3. Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing) (3)  4. Flower id  5. Mansfield update  6. Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing) --- some numbers----------------------------------------------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 06:57:22 -0400From:    Larry & Mona Rogers <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Where have all the hummers gone?  (Long time passing)Until about ten days ago we had lots of hummingbirds at our small feeder - we were refilling it every day or two.  Suddenly activity slowed way down.  Is it possible that this year's young hummers have all fledged and their parents have stopped using our feeders?We don't remember this from previous summers.Any thoughts?Larry and Mona Sent from my iPhone------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 11:35:31 +0000From:    "LaBarr, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Where have all the hummers gone?  (Long time passing)Hey Larry and Mona,Same at my feeder...I think that the young have fledged and maybe everyone has shifted locations. Could also be there is an abundance of food sources out there so the feeders are not as important. This happens here pretty regularly. I would keep them u and the sugar water fresh...migration time is soon upon us.MarkMark LaBarrConservation Program ManagerAudubon Vermont255 Sherman Hollow RoadHuntington, VT [log in to unmask] Message-----From: Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Larry & Mona RogersSent: Friday, July 12, 2019 6:57 AMTo: [log in to unmask]: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)Until about ten days ago we had lots of hummingbirds at our small feeder - we were refilling it every day or two.  Suddenly activity slowed way down.  Is it possible that this year's young hummers have all fledged and their parents have stopped using our feeders?We don't remember this from previous summers.Any thoughts?Larry and Mona Sent from my iPhone------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:26:54 -0400From:    Kate Olgiati <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Ebird?Is it just us, or is E-Bird down?Kate & Dory-- Katherine Olgiati------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:41:38 -0400From:    Ian Worley <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Ebird?I'm having problems also.  I can't access eBird via my wifi at home.  I can access it using cellular.IanCornwall.On 7/12/2019 8:26 AM, Kate Olgiati wrote:> Is it just us, or is E-Bird down?>> Kate & Dory>------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:46:50 +0000From:    anneboby <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Where have all the hummers gone?  (Long time passing)Your observation about recent hummer scarcity is not alone, but fledging has not yet occurred.  I band Ruby-throats at Jenny Lake near Corinth, NY in the SE corner of the Adirondack State Park and based on over 40 yrs of banding, newly fledged juveniles typically appear at the feeders about 25 July.These past two weeks hummers have been very scarce at my feeders.  Also, I received a report 1-2 weeks ago from folks at Mooselookmeguntic Lake in Franklin Co., ME where I also band that suddenly hummers disappeared from their feeders where previously they had been abundant.  Based on about 20 yrs of banding there in June and August, as well as reports from Mooselook feeder operators, there are years when hummer numbers drop in July then come surging back in early August as newly fledged young appear.I'm not sure what causes the sometime July slump, but natural food is abundant at this time and based on experience in ME, hummers range up to 2-2.5 mi. between feeders.  I band at five feeder locations there along the lake shore and there is an exchange of birds among these feeders.  At Jenny Lake I've experienced recaptures of hummers within 1-2 hrs of banding at a site 1.4 mi. away.  So, hummers don't just park at one feeder; they roam about.Keep your feeders out...all is not lost.Bob YunickSchenectady, NY-----Original Message-----From: Larry & Mona Rogers <[log in to unmask]>To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>Sent: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 6:57 amSubject: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)Until about ten days ago we had lots of hummingbirds at our small feeder - we were refilling it every day or two.  Suddenly activity slowed way down.  Is it possible that this year's young hummers have all fledged and their parents have stopped using our feeders?We don't remember this from previous summers.Any thoughts?Larry and Mona Sent from my iPhone------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:48:40 -0400From:    Steven Lamonde <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Ebird?eBird seems to be working for me here in St. Albans.Steven<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>Virus-free.www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link><#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 8:41 AM Ian Worley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> I'm having problems also.  I can't access eBird via my wifi at home.  I> can access it using cellular.>> Ian> Cornwall.>> On 7/12/2019 8:26 AM, Kate Olgiati wrote:> > Is it just us, or is E-Bird down?> >> > Kate & Dory> >>-- Steven LamondeConservation Biology (MS) candidateAdjunct Faculty - Department of Environmental StudiesManager - Antioch Spatial Analysis LabAntioch University New EnglandKeene, New [log in to unmask](339) 236-1421------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:09:07 -0400From:    Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Where have all the hummers gone?  (Long time passing)Every year, there’s a two or three week period in mid- to late July when the hummingbirds seem to disappear - and then they come back. I’ve been assuming that the wealth of flowers in bloom provides them with all they need.Maeve KimJericho Center> On Jul 12, 2019, at 7:35 AM, LaBarr, Mark <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> > Hey Larry and Mona,> Same at my feeder...I think that the young have fledged and maybe everyone has shifted locations. Could also be there is an abundance of food sources out there so the feeders are not as important. This happens here pretty regularly. I would keep them u and the sugar water fresh...migration time is soon upon us.> > Mark> > Mark LaBarr> Conservation Program Manager> Audubon Vermont> 255 Sherman Hollow Road> Huntington, VT 05462> 802-434-3068> [log in to unmask]> > -----Original Message-----> From: Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Larry & Mona Rogers> Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 6:57 AM> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)> > Until about ten days ago we had lots of hummingbirds at our small feeder - we were refilling it every day or two.  Suddenly activity slowed way down.  Is it possible that this year's young hummers have all fledged and their parents have stopped using our feeders?> We don't remember this from previous summers.> Any thoughts?> Larry and Mona > > > > Sent from my iPhone------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:13:02 -0400From:    Richard Harlow <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)Many thanks for this report! As a previous bander for 20+ years I truly appreciate your work and your experience!I have also experienced this seemingly abrupt drop in hummer feeder activity. Also, I have noticed, at least here in Middlebury, VT, a drop in butterfly species along with general decrease in pollinators, and hoping that the decrease in hummers was not significant. Therefore, again thanks for your report.Dick Harlow, Middlebury, VTOn 7/12/19 08:46, anneboby wrote:> Your observation about recent hummer scarcity is not alone, but fledging has not yet occurred.  I band Ruby-throats at Jenny Lake near Corinth, NY in the SE corner of the Adirondack State Park and based on over 40 yrs of banding, newly fledged juveniles typically appear at the feeders about 25 July.> These past two weeks hummers have been very scarce at my feeders.  Also, I received a report 1-2 weeks ago from folks at Mooselookmeguntic Lake in Franklin Co., ME where I also band that suddenly hummers disappeared from their feeders where previously they had been abundant.  Based on about 20 yrs of banding there in June and August, as well as reports from Mooselook feeder operators, there are years when hummer numbers drop in July then come surging back in early August as newly fledged young appear.> I'm not sure what causes the sometime July slump, but natural food is abundant at this time and based on experience in ME, hummers range up to 2-2.5 mi. between feeders.  I band at five feeder locations there along the lake shore and there is an exchange of birds among these feeders.  At Jenny Lake I've experienced recaptures of hummers within 1-2 hrs of banding at a site 1.4 mi. away.  So, hummers don't just park at one feeder; they roam about.> Keep your feeders out...all is not lost.> Bob YunickSchenectady, NY>> -----Original Message-----> From: Larry & Mona Rogers <[log in to unmask]>> To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>> Sent: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 6:57 am> Subject: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)>> Until about ten days ago we had lots of hummingbirds at our small feeder - we were refilling it every day or two.  Suddenly activity slowed way down.  Is it possible that this year's young hummers have all fledged and their parents have stopped using our feeders?> We don't remember this from previous summers.> Any thoughts?> Larry and Mona>>>> Sent from my iPhone>------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:15:30 -0400From:    Ralph Palmer <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Flower idThanks to all who responded to my request for flower id information.Multiple sites were suggested. <gobotany.nativeplanttrust.org> seemed to bethe most help. I'm still not sure I've got it right, but I'm having troublegetting my smart phone to focus on the leaves, and the basal whorl ispretty dried out now.Thanks again,Ralph-- Ralph PalmerBrattleboro, [log in to unmask]:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:17:53 -0400From:    alison wagner <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)I am still seeing female adults at the feeder and yesterday a very fresh (and naïve) fledgling, first watching the adult, then slowly figuring out how to get the syrup!  The competitive males have been MIA.  Ali Wagner  Huntington----- Original Message -----From: "Richard Harlow" <[log in to unmask]>To: "Vermont Birds" <[log in to unmask]>Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 9:13:02 AMSubject: Re: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)Many thanks for this report! As a previous bander for 20+ years I truly appreciate your work and your experience!I have also experienced this seemingly abrupt drop in hummer feeder activity. Also, I have noticed, at least here in Middlebury, VT, a drop in butterfly species along with general decrease in pollinators, and hoping that the decrease in hummers was not significant. Therefore, again thanks for your report.Dick Harlow, Middlebury, VTOn 7/12/19 08:46, anneboby wrote:> Your observation about recent hummer scarcity is not alone, but fledging has not yet occurred.  I band Ruby-throats at Jenny Lake near Corinth, NY in the SE corner of the Adirondack State Park and based on over 40 yrs of banding, newly fledged juveniles typically appear at the feeders about 25 July.> These past two weeks hummers have been very scarce at my feeders.  Also, I received a report 1-2 weeks ago from folks at Mooselookmeguntic Lake in Franklin Co., ME where I also band that suddenly hummers disappeared from their feeders where previously they had been abundant.  Based on about 20 yrs of banding there in June and August, as well as reports from Mooselook feeder operators, there are years when hummer numbers drop in July then come surging back in early August as newly fledged young appear.> I'm not sure what causes the sometime July slump, but natural food is abundant at this time and based on experience in ME, hummers range up to 2-2.5 mi. between feeders.  I band at five feeder locations there along the lake shore and there is an exchange of birds among these feeders.  At Jenny Lake I've experienced recaptures of hummers within 1-2 hrs of banding at a site 1.4 mi. away.  So, hummers don't just park at one feeder; they roam about.> Keep your feeders out...all is not lost.> Bob YunickSchenectady, NY>> -----Original Message-----> From: Larry & Mona Rogers <[log in to unmask]>> To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>> Sent: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 6:57 am> Subject: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)>> Until about ten days ago we had lots of hummingbirds at our small feeder - we were refilling it every day or two.  Suddenly activity slowed way down.  Is it possible that this year's young hummers have all fledged and their parents have stopped using our feeders?> We don't remember this from previous summers.> Any thoughts?> Larry and Mona>>>> Sent from my iPhone>------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:52:08 -0400From:    Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Mansfield updateVCE's Week 6 session on Mansfield brought a second consecutive bump mistnet captures, and even a modest resurgence in vocal activity, but theridgeline remains abnormally quiet. We netted the first local fledglings ofthe season, caught 2 male warblers in female-like plumage, and enjoyed somenon-avian youth as well.To see Chuck Gangas's and Rich Kelley's great photos, check out out ourblog post:https://vtecostudies.org/blog/mansfield-update-the-kids-are-coming/Chris________________________Chris RimmerVermont Center for EcostudiesPO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055802.649.1431 x202http://vtecostudies.org/------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:02:04 -0400From:    Charlie La Rosa <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)I also noticed a similar drop for a few days earlier this month, but theyare back and busy now. Males and females and maybe some young 'uns.Also red-breasted nuthatch feeding a group of three young and a hermitthrush with a nest of four eggs last week.Charlie La RosaSo. Washington*“The solution to any problem---work, love, money, whatever---is to gofishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.”*~ John Gierach, from *Standing in a River Waving a Stick*On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:18 PM alison wagner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> I am still seeing female adults at the feeder and yesterday a very fresh> (and naïve) fledgling, first watching the adult, then slowly figuring out> how to get the syrup!  The competitive males have been MIA.> Ali Wagner>  Huntington>> ----- Original Message -----> From: "Richard Harlow" <[log in to unmask]>> To: "Vermont Birds" <[log in to unmask]>> Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 9:13:02 AM> Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)>> Many thanks for this report! As a previous bander for 20+ years I truly> appreciate your work and your experience!> I have also experienced this seemingly abrupt drop in hummer feeder> activity. Also, I have noticed, at least here in Middlebury, VT, a drop> in butterfly species along with general decrease in pollinators, and> hoping that the decrease in hummers was not significant. Therefore,> again thanks for your report.>> Dick Harlow, Middlebury, VT>>>> On 7/12/19 08:46, anneboby wrote:> > Your observation about recent hummer scarcity is not alone, but fledging> has not yet occurred.  I band Ruby-throats at Jenny Lake near Corinth, NY> in the SE corner of the Adirondack State Park and based on over 40 yrs of> banding, newly fledged juveniles typically appear at the feeders about 25> July.> > These past two weeks hummers have been very scarce at my feeders.  Also,> I received a report 1-2 weeks ago from folks at Mooselookmeguntic Lake in> Franklin Co., ME where I also band that suddenly hummers disappeared from> their feeders where previously they had been abundant.  Based on about 20> yrs of banding there in June and August, as well as reports from Mooselook> feeder operators, there are years when hummer numbers drop in July then> come surging back in early August as newly fledged young appear.> > I'm not sure what causes the sometime July slump, but natural food is> abundant at this time and based on experience in ME, hummers range up to> 2-2.5 mi. between feeders.  I band at five feeder locations there along the> lake shore and there is an exchange of birds among these feeders.  At Jenny> Lake I've experienced recaptures of hummers within 1-2 hrs of banding at a> site 1.4 mi. away.  So, hummers don't just park at one feeder; they roam> about.> > Keep your feeders out...all is not lost.> > Bob YunickSchenectady, NY> >> > -----Original Message-----> > From: Larry & Mona Rogers <[log in to unmask]>> > To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>> > Sent: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 6:57 am> > Subject: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)> >> > Until about ten days ago we had lots of hummingbirds at our small feeder> - we were refilling it every day or two.  Suddenly activity slowed way> down.  Is it possible that this year's young hummers have all fledged and> their parents have stopped using our feeders?> > We don't remember this from previous summers.> > Any thoughts?> > Larry and Mona> >> >> >> > Sent from my iPhone> >>------------------------------Date:    Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:24:31 -0400From:    Ian Worley <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing) --- some numbersHi All,Thought I'd see what the eBird data show for hummer habits.Using eBird frequency of observation graphs for all years, I looked at data for three areas:"All"  All counties combined."North"  Franklin, Orleans, and Essex counties combined"South"  Bennington and Windham counties combined"All-2019"  All counties combined, this yearDid it this way to find out when in the spring we see the most hummingbirds, in the summer when we see the fewest, and in the late summers when we see the most.  And to see if the dates vary from north to southSpring high -- North: May 15th to 31st.  South: May 15th to 31st. All: May 15th to 31st.Summer low --  North: June 1st to 21st.  South: June 8th to 21st. All: June 18th to 21st.Late summer high -- North:  Aug. 8th to 21st.  South:  Aug. 8th to Sept. 15th.  All:  Aug. 8th to 31st.Spring arrivals appear to happen at the same time throughout the state.Summer periods of low numbers start earlier in the north, and end at the same time throughout the state.The late summer highest numbers all begin at the same time throughout the state, but is over soonest in the north.What about this year so far?Spring high -- North, South, All:  May 15 to June 8th.  Birds arrived "on schedule" but kept visible in abundance a week longerSummer low -- North:  June 8th to 30th.  South: June 15th to 30th All:  June 8th to June 21st.  The low frequencies of observation appear to have have started a week later then usual, but did not continue as long before rising numbers of birds being seen.All in all, the eBird data show the hummingbird arrive through out the state all the same time, and then the breeding activities might start a bit sooner in the north, and the last birds to leave are from southern locations.The data for this year so far, show nothing much unusual, except the breeding might have been delayed a few days, averaged for the whole state.The actual frequency percentages of observations are quite uniform around the state, except that they are somewhat lower in the three most northern counties.Best wishes,Ian======================On 7/12/2019 6:02 PM, Charlie La Rosa wrote:> I also noticed a similar drop for a few days earlier this month, but they> are back and busy now. Males and females and maybe some young 'uns.>> Also red-breasted nuthatch feeding a group of three young and a hermit> thrush with a nest of four eggs last week.>> Charlie La Rosa> So. Washington>> *“The solution to any problem---work, love, money, whatever---is to go> fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.”*>> ~ John Gierach, from *Standing in a River Waving a Stick*>>>>>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:18 PM alison wagner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:>>> I am still seeing female adults at the feeder and yesterday a very fresh>> (and naïve) fledgling, first watching the adult, then slowly figuring out>> how to get the syrup!  The competitive males have been MIA.>> Ali Wagner>>   Huntington>>>> ----- Original Message ----->> From: "Richard Harlow" <[log in to unmask]>>> To: "Vermont Birds" <[log in to unmask]>>> Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 9:13:02 AM>> Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)>>>> Many thanks for this report! As a previous bander for 20+ years I truly>> appreciate your work and your experience!>> I have also experienced this seemingly abrupt drop in hummer feeder>> activity. Also, I have noticed, at least here in Middlebury, VT, a drop>> in butterfly species along with general decrease in pollinators, and>> hoping that the decrease in hummers was not significant. Therefore,>> again thanks for your report.>>>> Dick Harlow, Middlebury, VT>>>>>>>> On 7/12/19 08:46, anneboby wrote:>>> Your observation about recent hummer scarcity is not alone, but fledging>> has not yet occurred.  I band Ruby-throats at Jenny Lake near Corinth, NY>> in the SE corner of the Adirondack State Park and based on over 40 yrs of>> banding, newly fledged juveniles typically appear at the feeders about 25>> July.>>> These past two weeks hummers have been very scarce at my feeders.  Also,>> I received a report 1-2 weeks ago from folks at Mooselookmeguntic Lake in>> Franklin Co., ME where I also band that suddenly hummers disappeared from>> their feeders where previously they had been abundant.  Based on about 20>> yrs of banding there in June and August, as well as reports from Mooselook>> feeder operators, there are years when hummer numbers drop in July then>> come surging back in early August as newly fledged young appear.>>> I'm not sure what causes the sometime July slump, but natural food is>> abundant at this time and based on experience in ME, hummers range up to>> 2-2.5 mi. between feeders.  I band at five feeder locations there along the>> lake shore and there is an exchange of birds among these feeders.  At Jenny>> Lake I've experienced recaptures of hummers within 1-2 hrs of banding at a>> site 1.4 mi. away.  So, hummers don't just park at one feeder; they roam>> about.>>> Keep your feeders out...all is not lost.>>> Bob YunickSchenectady, NY>>>>>> -----Original Message----->>> From: Larry & Mona Rogers <[log in to unmask]>>>> To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>>>> Sent: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 6:57 am>>> Subject: [VTBIRD] Where have all the hummers gone? (Long time passing)>>>>>> Until about ten days ago we had lots of hummingbirds at our small feeder>> - we were refilling it every day or two.  Suddenly activity slowed way>> down.  Is it possible that this year's young hummers have all fledged and>> their parents have stopped using our feeders?>>> We don't remember this from previous summers.>>> Any thoughts?>>> Larry and Mona>>>>>>>>>>>> Sent from my iPhone>>>------------------------------End of VTBIRD Digest - 11 Jul 2019 to 12 Jul 2019 (#2019-170)*************************************************************