Re: copyright question

Oscar Andrade <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Jul 2019 11:32:51 -0500

This question came up before a few years back.

Legal decision on how much material faculty can copy from a textbook: (1
Chapter or 10%)

"This supports a fair use finding in that the each chapter has a unique
value to the instructor. However, the court put limits on this factor,
setting a fairly specific limit of 10% of a book with less than 10 chapters,
or one chapter of a book containing more than 10 chapters as being
consistent with fair use."

This applies in the USA but similar restrictions apply to Europe.

http://newsbreaks.infotoday.com/NewsBreaks/Georgia-State-University-Copyright-Decision-IssuedNew-Rules-for-Users-and-Publishers-82676.asp

Oscar Andrade, MS., MLIS
Librarian, Supervisor of Library Services
Saint James School of Medicine
1-847-375-9130

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Truex, Eleanor
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2019 2:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: copyright question

I'd take a different tack: why are YOU responsible for copying and printing
this out for a class? Do you teach this class? In other words, why is this
your responsibility?  Students can purchase the book or buy a book and share
it (whether that involves copying, I will leave to others to determine), or
the instructor can provide books and increase the price of the class (very
reliant on the structure of the university or hospital, of course, but for
many ACLS-type classes, the workbook is provided, but included in the cost
of the class. Yours is a different scenario, but I'm just saying).

But, if given all that, this is your responsibility, I'd get permission.

Eleanor Truex, BSN, RN, MLIS
Medical Librarian, Chicago-Metro Region

Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL  60657
773.665.3038 o

Saint Francis Hospital
355 Ridge Avenue
Evanston, IL 60602
847.316.2460 o

Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center
2233 West Division Street
Chicago, IL 60622
312.770.2219 o