Re: One Pelican or Two?

Liz Lackey <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Aug 2019 07:47:33 -0400

Hi all,
I’m so glad there is a discussion on this.  I noticed black on the head in some photos of the Pelican, and none in others and was wondering about molt transitions.  I hadn’t taken the time to follow up on this so am glad others did.  I have not been up to actually see the bird myself.

Meanwhile, I’m attempting to enter more molt details on ebird.  This time of year there is quite a range of plumage characteristics.  Obviously I can’t get the same detail as if I had them in the hand during a banding procedure (thanks Chris Rimmer and crew for sharing so much of your knowledge with me during the Mt Mansfield bird banding project), but at times plumage/age state it is very evident when looking at warblers, thrushes, sparrows, etc etc thru binocs.  This info on ebird will add to our knowledge of dispersal of young birds, adult non-breeding etc.

My local breeding pair of Broad-winged Hawks are looking pretty dapper now.  Most of their flight feathers have been replaced so I expect them to think about heading out to South America soon.  It has been fun to watch them go from scruffy, overworked parents, with many gaps in their wings, to plump bodied, crisply-edged winged soaring machines once again.

Enjoy molts and migration.

Liz Lackey
Stowe, VT