UpToDate and DynaMed

Dave Castelli <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Sep 2019 18:10:24 +0000

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question regarding migrating from UpToDate to Dynamed.  Your insights are helpful.

There were some success stories.  Many stories can be summarized as "tread lightly and be prepared".

Please read:

Walden, R. R., Woodward, N. J., & Wallace, R. L. (2019). Revaluating point-of-care resources: Community engagement in difficult collection choices. Medical Reference Services Quarterly, 38(1), 22-30. doi:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dx.doi.org_10.1080_02763869.2019.1547055&d=DwIFAw&c=II16XUCNF0uj2WHDMBdftpHZzyfqZU4E6o4J8m7Yfh-XF5deecOtjPXuMFvj1uWy&r=Jol5I1j0BF0x8VuSrsa6Q6PzMKP9cqXH5gTSaAdMkmI&m=Zcn7u8oZXpfBCLG6vbGTFUo_jaL5Byb-M9zEMpjVKbM&s=pCXyrHLzAMkalfGOFFPQfsej1htqD1vK7adKYO4v-Mo&e=

Here are some literals from some librarians.

"Hi.  We have both products, UpToDate and DynaMed.  We were all set to not renew UTD for a year or two and exclusively use DM.  Our proposal was met with approval of our CMO.  If you want to see a copy of our proposal, let me know.  It's about a year old now.  We even went a step further to obtain physician champions and ownership for the change by a good selection of our providers.

The rest of our providers provided such a backlash that we weren't able to move forward with this, and our CMO said for us to keep UTD.  He literally felt embattled by his colleagues.

So, you might want to prepare for these challenges:

  *   UTD marketing directly to your users & your Administration
  *   Providers having your finance dept to reimburse them for their own UTD individual accounts
  *   Potentially not having complete support from CMO and other physician leaders choosing to "pick their battles" when faced with backlash from many colleagues wanting to keep UTD
  *   Increased training and marketing

Now my method is to increase training and use of DynaMed so that in the future we'll have more support from people willing to try the complete transition."

Hi Dave - ours is not a success story as in a transition to DynamedPlus.  UTD had been our go to POC tool but we had Dynamed as part of one of our library EBSCO package.  After some campaigning, we dropped UTD for a 2 year DynamedPlus contract (2 year DynamedPlus contract was 1/2 the cost of UTD for one year).   We did not renew this February with DynamedPlus - the physicians & clinicians wanted their UTD back.  I shared articles comparing the positives of DynamedPlus to UTD, I did demonstrations and we had education events to promote DynamedPlus while it was here.  It was a tough crowd - So I have embraced the return of UTD (it's not out of my cost center fortunately).

Actually, we haven't made that move, but I know that our Ebsco rep. has been trying!  Right now, only 2 of the 3 hospital libraries have a DynaMed subscription.  We can't even get commitment from all the libraries at this point!  Anyway, I had my reservations about DynaMed actually being a viable replacement for UpToDate, but after seeing the new DynaMed in action I am impressed with the changes they've made.  The images look great, the residents love the format the text, and the app is now much easier to download.  They've come a long way, my only dislike is that DynaMed doesn't have nearly as many topics that UpToDate has, which is why we still have both.

If you're not pressed for time, I'd recommend doing a number of promotional events for DynaMed before the contract for UpToDate ends.  Last week I invited our Ebsco rep. to give an overview of the new DynaMed platform to the residents.  To my surprise, she brought with her a Change Agent to observe how the residents react to DynaMed.  However, the Change Agent left by the time the presentation started because she was needed elsewhere.  It was poorly coordinated, but I just thought it was interesting that they have someone there that had a specific role to play with regards to transitioning DynaMed to the clinicians.

Also, be aware that my Ebsco rep. informed me that UpToDate will do all they can to contact the physicians to tell them that their institution is no longer paying for UpToDate and that if they want to maintain their access they would have to dish our $800 per year.  So, it is definitely going to be retaliation that the institution will have to prepare for.  Hope this helps!

Please be sure to talk to your pharmacy team too. Our pharmacy team is also very dependent on UpToDate

So how did it go? We went right back to UpToDate. We gave it a year, but people were not happy, like NOT HAPPY. To the point that admin was willing to pay the UpToDate price after that year.

Any time rumors start that we are getting rid of it again, people freak out.

So I would recommend that, if this is being made because of cost that the budget people be prepared. I don't know what the culture at your institution is but here they encourage open communication and it was that UpToDate was the only thing for them.

The few who gave Dynamed+ a chance felt is served their needs, but a lot of people just wanted it to be UpToDate and didn't want to work with it when it wasn't.

[How long did it take?]  A year.  Make sure your explanation why you changed is the same every time.

We tried, and how it went was more controlled by administrative issues than anything else. My community hospital library (CDH) never had UTD - I had Dynamed. Another nearby community hospital library did, in-house-only use. It worked. For a while. Then we were merged. We opted to drop UTD and go with DynaMed, then upgraded to DynaMed Plus. The grousing never went completely away, but they used DMP. Then we were gobbled up by a giant academic medical center, who (of course) had UTD. That opened the floodgates of woe: "THEY have it! Why can't WE have it?" (this in top of the fact that our "satellite" locations were not (and are not) licensed to access the downtown location's resources). Agreed, it didn't make sense financially to maintain both tools, especially after DynaMed's price shot up.  There were literally YEARS of meetings, discussions, arguments, whining, etc., over what to do. And - of course - UTD won. So we have UTD, but the libraries do not pay for it. I frankly have no idea who does in the corporate labyrinth.

The physicians grudgingly accepted using DMP for a time, aided by the fact that our VP of Medical Affairs agreed to take the heat for the decision and take all the calls of complaint (it was the Medical Exec Committee who made the final decision to go with DMP). But as soon as we became part of the larger system where UTD was available, it all went south. Even our CIO, who fought ardently for DMP, couldn't sway them. Takeaway is: (1) if it's the library making the decision, you will take the blame. (2) The ONLY way it will succeed is with complete support of execs. (3) The complaining will NEVER go away completely. (4) Admin will always find the money if it's something the physicians want. (5) In which case, you will end up with UTD.

As a corporate decision we too made the change from UpToDate to dynamed plus.  It was due to cost.  The switch over was fine, but after a few weeks I surveyed my medical staff and no one was or had been happy with dynamed plus.  Good luck

...most of our physicians (particularly our newer starters) don't seem to mind. As long as they have access to a high-quality point of care tool that seems to be what matters. However, six months after switching we were still getting odd emails going 'It's a real shame Up To Date is gone-can we get it back please?' from a few of our consultants (senior attendings). In short, you may encounter some resistance but people seem to get used to a new system fairly quickly.

Dave

Dave Castelli, MLS, MSM
Senior Medical Librarian
UCR Medical Library @ Intermountain Med Ctr
5121 S. Cottonwood Street
Murray, UT 84107
(801) 507-5142  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Perfect is the enemy of good -Voltaire

*** Forward future requests for articles to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ***

U.S. Copyright law (Sections 107 and 108) protects the attached document(s).  No further reproduction or distribution of this document is permitted by electronic transmission or any other means.  After making one paper copy, please destroy the digital file.

NOTICE: This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from reviewing, using, disclosing or distributing this e-mail or its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this e-mail and its contents.