]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  March 2020

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE March 2020

Re: what is going on in Brooklyn with respect to the coronavirus s ituation?

Mandi Smallhorne <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Mar 2020 12:06:39 +0200

Existing evidence shows that Vitamin C may reduce the duration of a cold by
a day. However, "Researchers at Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University
launched a clinical trial with 140 patients in February to test whether
ultrahigh doses of vitamin C, delivered intravenously, could treat the viral
infection more effectively than a placebo. The test group will receive
infusions twice a day for seven days, with each infusion containing 12g of
vitamin C. (The daily recommendation for an adult man is only 90mg.)

"The trial will be completed in September, and no results are yet available,
according to ClinicalTrials.gov. In the meantime, Chinese scientists have
launched dozens of other clinical trials as well, testing everything from
antivirals to antibody therapies to traditional Chinese medicines." (From
livescience.com)
Since COVID-19 research is being pushed out every day, even preliminary
results, I am sure we will know long before September if there's any real
effect.

Mandi Smallhorne
Freelance science journalist