IT-DISCUSS April 2020

Re: Zoom unsafe?

Luben Dimov <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Apr 2020 02:09:50 +0000

And if you want something even more inconvenient, but with unparalleled
guarantees for respect of your privacy, see the recommendations from a
week ago by the Free Software Foundation (the GNU/Linux and GPL
people), who just had their annual meeting online using only free (as
in Freedom) / "Libre" software:
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/better-than-zoom-try-these-free-software-tools-for-staying-in-touch
Other places on their site they have a ton more tips and suggestions on
how to avoid using software and services that control your computer and
your data, rather than the other way around.

Luben

--
Luben Dimov, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Forestry
312J Aiken Center
Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405

802-656-0616
https://www.uvm.edu/rsenr/profiles/luben-dimov

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoffrey Duke <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Zoom unsafe?
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 20:47:52 +0000

Looking for an alternative to Zoom for personal communications? Skype,
Microsoft’s consumer audio/video communications service, provides free
conference calls with no account required, just create a “meet now”
link. (And observe the cautions below about protecting that link!).

https://www.skype.com/en/free-conference-call/
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34926/what-is-meet-now-and-how-do-i-use-it-in-skype
https://www.skype.com/en/features/

If all your folks are on Gmail/Google/Android, Google Hangouts might be
an easy option. (up to 10 people; requires account)

If all your folks are on Apple platforms, I have heard people mention
something called FaceTime.

Stay connected. Stay safe.

—Geoff