Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ISOGEOCHEM Home

ISOGEOCHEM  February 2021

ISOGEOCHEM February 2021

Re: quartz ampoules

"Ambrose, Stanley H" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Feb 2021 04:42:05 +0000

Hi Linda,

In addition to extra-dark safety glasses, there is a potentially more important safety concern:  Quartz vapor is generated while making tubes. Respirable quartz vapor is considered a health hazard by OSHA and NIOSH.

Our glassblowing bench is an open-faced fume hood.

Respirable dust from cutting the glass and the tube cracker should also be avoided: a risk for silicosis. N95 masks - if you can get them?

The first reference below describes the OSHA and NIOSH standards for respirable fused silica: The second references the OSHA and NIOSH documents.

Dawn Tharr Column Editor (1991) Case Studies: Airborne Emissions from Carbon Dioxide Laser Cutting Operations. Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 6(8): 652-654, DOI: 10.1080/1047322X.1991.10387955

Alan Fleeger and C. Eugene Moss (1990). Airborne emissions produced by the interaction of a carbon dioxide laser with glass, metals, and plastics ILSC 1990, C23; https://doi.org/10.2351/1.5056029

If you can meet the safety standards, making your own sealed tubes is simple and "cheap", although the glass is expensive. Corning Vycor 9mm OD is the standard for sealed tube combustion. Making your own tubes is a useful skill, and an art form in the skilled hands of Arndt Schimmelmann. A 9-inch tube segment melted in half makes two 4.5-inch ampoules. After loading the sample, tube can be joined to a cleaned remnant of a used tube segment and a neck can be formed. Torching sample tubes on the vac line generates much less vapor if the 9 mm tubes have been formed with a neck.

6mm OD Vycor can be formed into 1.5 cm weigh boats by melting 3-4 cm segments at the midpoint.

Anneal tubes and weigh boats at 800°C in a muffle furnace before loading samples.

Stan

Stanley H. Ambrose, Professor
Environmental Isotope Paleobiogeochemistry Laboratory
Department of Anthropology
University of Illinois, Urbana
Urbana, IL 61801 USA
217 244-3504