SKIVT-L March 2021, Week 4

Daily Morning Vermont Weather

Wesley Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Mar 2021 06:50:02 -0400

Expires:202103232000;;402175
FPUS51 KBTV 230724
ZFPBTV

Zone Forecast Product for Vermont
National Weather Service Burlington VT
321 AM EDT Tue Mar 23 2021

VTZ018-232000-
Eastern Addison-
Including the cities of Bristol and Ripton
321 AM EDT Tue Mar 23 2021

.TODAY...Sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. South winds around 10 mph
this morning, becoming light and variable.
.TONIGHT...Partly cloudy until midnight, then clearing. Lows in
the upper 30s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
.WEDNESDAY...Partly sunny with a slight chance of rain showers in
the morning, then mostly cloudy with a chance of rain showers in
the afternoon. Highs in the upper 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Chance of rain 30 percent.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of
showers. Lows in the mid 40s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph with
gusts up to 25 mph.
.THURSDAY...Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s. South winds 10 to
15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...Rain likely. Lows in the upper 40s. Chance of
rain 60 percent.
.FRIDAY...Rain. Very windy with highs in the upper 50s. Chance of
rain 80 percent.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...Rain likely. Breezy with lows in the lower 30s.
Chance of rain 70 percent.
.SATURDAY...Partly sunny with a chance of snow showers. Highs in
the lower 40s. Chance of snow 40 percent.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow.
Lows in the upper 20s.
.SUNDAY...Rain likely or a chance of snow. Highs in the lower
40s. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...Rain likely or a chance of snow showers. Lows
around 30. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
.MONDAY...Partly sunny with a chance of snow or rain showers.
Breezy with highs around 40. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

$$

Expires:202103231100;;410328
ASUS41 KBTV 231030
RWRBTV
VERMONT REGIONAL WEATHER ROUNDUP
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
600 AM EDT TUE MAR 23 2021

NOTE: "FAIR" INDICATES FEW OR NO CLOUDS BELOW 12,000 FEET WITH NO
SIGNIFICANT WEATHER AND/OR OBSTRUCTIONS TO VISIBILITY.

* THESE REPORTS ARE NOT UNDER NWS QUALITY CONTROL AND/OR DO NOT
  REPORT WEATHER SUCH AS PRECIPITATION AND FOG.

VTZ001>019-231100-
_____VERMONT_____

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
BURLINGTON     CLEAR     34  23  64 E5        30.26R WCI  30
MONTPELIER     CLEAR     25  19  78 CALM      30.31S
MORRISVILLE    CLEAR     24  21  88 CALM      30.29R
ST. JOHNSBURY*   N/A     25  20  81 MISG      30.29S
LYNDONVILLE*   FAIR      29  20  68 CALM      30.30S
MIDDLEBURY*    FAIR      33  24  69 CALM      30.27S
RUTLAND*       CLEAR     32  23  69 SE8       30.30R WCI  25
SPRINGFIELD    CLEAR     25  19  78 CALM      30.32S
HIGHGATE*      FAIR      37  20  49 S5        30.25S
NEWPORT*       FAIR      30  17  59 SW6       30.27S WCI  24
BENNINGTON     CLEAR     28  20  71 CALM      30.29R
ISLAND POND*     N/A     19 N/A N/A CALM        N/A
GALLUP MILLS*    N/A     25 N/A N/A MISG        N/A
MT. MANSFIELD*   N/A     43 N/A N/A W20         N/A

_____LAKE CHAMPLAIN_____

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
BURTON ISLAND*   N/A     37  30  75 S9G15       N/A  WCI  31
COLCHESTER RF*   N/A     39  28  65 S16         N/A  WCI  30
DIAMOND ISL*     N/A     41  27  56 S5          N/A

$$

Expires:No;;402902
FXUS61 KBTV 230746
AFDBTV

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Burlington VT
346 AM EDT Tue Mar 23 2021

.SYNOPSIS...
A strong area of high pressure will continue to produce very warm
and dry conditions across the North Country today into Wednesday. A
few isolated showers are possible on Wednesday and slightly cooler
temperatures due to more clouds, but near record warmth returns for
Thursday. A better chances for rain develops on Friday, along with
cooler temperatures going into the weekend.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
As of 345 AM EDT Tuesday...Another very warm and dry day expected
across the North Country, as water vapor shows mid/upper lvl ridge
anchored along the eastern CONUS. Have noted some mid/upper lvl
clouds acrs central/eastern Great Lakes this morning, which may
filter the sunshine from time to time today. However, progged 925mb
temps btwn 8-9C again today, with very dry bl conditions will result
in highs well into the 60s to near 70F. Once again critically low
min rh values expected with values in the 14 to 21% range with very
dry fine fuels. See fire weather section below for additional
details. Winds generally trrn driven this morning, become south 5 to
10 mph this aftn. Tonight, gradient increases as sfc high pres
slides into the Gulf of Maine, while 994mb low pres approaches the
western Great Lakes. This combined with very dry bl conditions and
develop thermal inversion wl produce a wide range in temps once
again. Warmest values wl be midslopes and wider valleys, with lows
upper 30s to upper 40s, while mid 20s possible SLK and
eastern/central VT. Weds wl be slightly cooler with more clouds, but
highs still well above normal for late March. Mainly in the mid 50s
to lower/mid 60s. A weak ribbon of enhanced 850 to 500mb rh and
associated 700 to 500mb elongated vort may overcome very dry bl
conditions to produce a few light rain showers. Have mention chc
pops mainly acrs the dacks into the higher trrn of northern VT, but
any qpf wl be <0.10, as best forcing/moisture stays to our nw.

&&

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
As of 345 AM EDT Tuesday...For Wednesday night, an occluded boundary
will lift across our forecast area while surface low passes well
northwest of Ottawa. Meanwhile, a weakening surface trough along the
coast. With the antecedent dry air in place and building heights,
there should not be much in the way of precipitation. Better
dynamics remain outside our region as we sit between these two
systems with low-level divergence across our area, and can be noted
in q-vector fields at 850mb.

Behind the system, we will sit firmly in the warm sector, with
clearing skies with relatively dry air in place. With the building
ridge and 925mb temperatures warming towards 12-14 C in a pre-green
up environment, think we have a shot at making our first 70 degree
reading at Burlington. The one inhibiting factor will be the higher
relative humidities in the PBL compared to the last few days. Thus,
the forecast may be a bit on the warm side, but anticipate mid 60s
to near 70 for high temps. Several climate sites are looking at
potential daily max temperature records being broken, whether we hit
70 F or not.

&&

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...
As of 345 AM EDT Tuesday...Our long stint of unimpactful weather
comes to an end Thursday night. Precipitation is expecting through
Friday night as a quick moving, but dynamic system crosses the
region. This will deliver some much needed rain with at least
0.50"-1.00" of liquid, with locally higher amounts possible. The
greatest rainfall amounts are most likely across northern New York.
Additional precipitation is expected Sunday into Monday.

A vigorous, negatively tilted trough with a coupled upper jet
structure will move into the Ohio River Valley Thursday night. Upper
ridging will break down under the influence of this trough and a
strong warm front will lift northwards. Some discrepancies remain
with regard to the low track, but any solution will provide us
opportunity for rain. The warm frontal precipitation should start
just after midnight on Friday and continue into the morning hours.
PWAT values surge to the 99th percentile with a favorable moisture
tap from the Gulf of Mexico efficiently transported from an 850mb
jet of 50-60kts extending along much of the I-95 corridor. The
question is whether this jet lifts into our area or if a low track
along or just south of our region keeps that LLJ at bay. If the LLJ
moves into our area, we will see some dry slotting cut into
precipitation totals. If not, we could see higher precipitation
totals. As the low departs Friday night into early Saturday, a sharp
cold front will descend southwards. We will see a transition from
rain to mountain snow showers on northwest facing slopes as we
transition to northwesterly flow behind the system. An isallobaric
couplet should develop as the surface low will be quickly deepening
as it translates across our forecast area. Thus, northwest winds
could be quite breezy as the cold front marches through. Will keep
an eye on that as we get closer to the event.

Due to recent dryness, not anticipating hydro concerns at this time.
Forecast snow melt seems to be overestimating basin average SWE.
Taking that into account, expect sharp rises across rivers, but
holding off on stronger wording until we get into the range of
higher resolution models that will handle this dynamic system
better. We will continue to monitor the hydro aspect as well.

Dry weather will not last long. After a brief drying out on
Saturday, we will see an amplifying northern stream trough interact
another system in the Central Plains. This feature will move towards
the North Country on Sunday. Thus, another dynamic system appears
likely to impact the North Country Sunday or Sunday night. Due to
the colder air from the previous system, we may have to watch
thermal profiles at the onset for a potential mix. With the
precipitation, anticipate near normal highs, but overnight lows will
be above normal.

&&

.AVIATION /08Z TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...
Through 06Z Wednesday...High pres both aloft and at the sfc will
continue to produce vfr conditions for the next 12 to 24 hours
acrs all our taf sites. Light mainly trrn driven winds expected
at 3 to 7 knots during this time frame.

Outlook...

Wednesday: VFR. Slight chance SHRA.
Wednesday Night: MVFR/IFR conditions possible. Slight chance
SHRA.
Thursday: Mainly VFR, with local IFR possible. NO SIG WX.
Thursday Night: Mainly VFR, with local MVFR possible. Likely RA.
Friday: Mainly MVFR, with areas IFR possible. Likely RA.
Friday Night: Mainly MVFR, with local IFR possible. Chance RA,
Chance SN.
Saturday: VFR. Slight chance RA.

&&

.FIRE WEATHER...
A period of very warm and dry weather continues across the North
Country, as year to date precipitation is 1 to 3 inches below
normal, with parts of central/eastern VT and northern NY in moderate
drought conditions. These pre green-up conditions have resulted in
very dry fine fuels in the Champlain, Saint Lawrence and lower CT
Valleys, where snow coverage is very limited. Very warm temperatures
are expected again today with critically low minimum relative
humidity values in the 14% to 21% range. A few more high clouds may
result in slightly higher relative humidity values today. However,
with surface high pres nearby, expect light south winds at 5 to 10
mph to prevail during the afternoon hours. The highest temperatures
and lowest relative humidity values will occur between 1 PM and 5 PM
today. A widespread precipitation event is possible on Friday.
Outside burning of yard debris and brush is not advised again today,
given the very dry conditions.

&&

.CLIMATE...
Daily record high temperatures are possible on Thursday, especially
in the Champlain Valley and points east.
Here are records for 3/25:

Date     KBTV     KMPV     K1V4       KPBG
03-25  68|1996  64|1996  57|2003    65|1987

&&

.BTV WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
VT...None.
NY...None.