Re: UpToDate vs. DynaMed pricing

"Truex, Eleanor" <[log in to unmask]>

Truex, Eleanor

Fri, 9 Apr 2021 15:47:08 +0000

2 thoughts:
From your quoted statements:  "Our acquisitions person has asked what is the best price we can get, and our rep replied with "tell us what you would be willing to pay."  Our acquisitions person has never had a vendor rep respond in this way before and it took her off-guard."

Although this was probably an attempt at a "joke", this does not sound out of character for UTD. I would have responded with a raised eyebrow, a deadpan face and "Ambitious" with a deliberate low ball offer. YMMV.

" The rep is fully aware that we are looking at DynaMed and could be switching and offered the fact that they have the most premiere doctors in their respective fields sitting in offices in Boston whose sole jobs are updating UpToDate every day, and that is what justifies the hefty price."

This is disturbing on several layers. Mostly, IF these physicians are solely sitting in an office, updating UTD, they will very quickly be completely  OUT OF DATE. Same holds for DynaMed. IMO, the hefty price tag is due to UTD's being the only game in town for a long time, and the indoctrination of its use in med schools. Frankly, solely relying on any secondary point of care tool is dangerous practice for any level of any healthcare provider.

I firmly support the use of PoC tools in acute care. I also firmly deplore the use of such secondary resources as references for pedagogy and research. But that ship seems to have sailed. I have also seen residents and Attendings literally freak out when UTD has gone down (for 2 whole days over a Labor Day weekend. Good times). It's ONE TOOL, not the Holy Grail of Medicine.

Eleanor Truex, BSN, RN, MLIS
Medical Librarian, Chicago-Metro Region

Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL  60657
773.665.3038 o

Saint Francis Hospital
355 Ridge Avenue
Evanston, IL 60602
847.316.2460 o

Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center
2233 West Division Street
Chicago, IL 60622
312.770.2219 o