MEDLIB-L September 1993

'Medline Missed' au responds

"Thomas L. Mead" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Sep 1993 16:31:07 EDT

Last week's message, "Medline Missed Things," elicited interesting responses
& discussion! Terrific!

One theme was this: some folks figure that a reference (to the article which
provoked the emotions which resulted in the harangue) should have been
included in the message, and that I should hurry up and provide it.

I disagree and here's why:

a) I think the current proper, accepted PUBLIC way to offer comments about a
specific published journal article is to write a letter to the editor. New
ways of commenting on literature will be invented. But at the present time,
authors who don't monitor specific discussion-lists (like ours) would not
have the ability to know-about or respond to the discussion of their work.
Taking them out of the loop would be rude, politically dangerous,
counterproductive, etc.

b) the particular paper I had just read was, I believe, just one of many
examples of Medline-misapplication or misinterpretation. I was ranting about
what I considered to be a GENERAL Medline-abuse. The faulty expectations of
Medline are based, in my opinion, on public misunderstandings of its
definition, size, indexing-realities, and 'searchability' on various
permutations of the data (different 'mountings.'). Unfortunately, I am not
prepared to supply a bibliography of works where faulty Medline searches were
a crucial aspect; I think this would be an interesting project sometime.
Actually, I'll BET someone has either done it or is working on it even as we
speak!

4 out of the 6 people in yesterday's advanced locally-mounted MEDLINE
workshop here were concerned that they "might be missing something when they
did their MEDLINE searches..."

I said: "Your fears are fully justified. You are missing something. You most
always will. The flip side (getting TOO MUCH) is just as ugly a problem.
(...If you've got 12,000 in your set and you're clueless as to what to do
next, you might as well have nothing...) Attending today's workshop will
help, I promise. But there's no perfect search..."

And: "There's an art to indexing and there's an art to searching; we'll try
to minimize the mysteries as much as possible this morning, but imagine two
groups of artists -- with "interfaces" (designed by programmers,
committees, companies, governments, and universities) between them. Would
you expect perfection in their communications?"

One final sticking-out of the neck. Someone from NLM-Serials may chop it off
-- I'm no serials librarian! (The point of this, below, is to show that
there are lots of worthy journals not indexed by MEDLINE, so you've just GOT
to "miss" all sorts of stuff...)

If you do this on SERLINE on MEDLARS:

===SET ONE===
(oc) open and not med (ai)
...you'll get 24,768 hits...
[Twenty-five thousand serials in SERLINE which are ALIVE and which are not
indexed in MEDLINE; well that says SOMETHING!...]

(But not really maybe, so let's continue down this path with:)

===SET TWO===
(ai) ba or em or ca or pa
...you'll get 12,643 hits...
[There are more than 12,000 records in SERLINE with BA, EM, CA, or PA in the
abstracting & indexing field and I wish I knew how up-to-date and accurate
this is; must be fairly awful to maintain...] ["(ai) ba" (alone) yields 8645
which is fairly close to my understanding of the journal-coverage of
Biological Abstracts, so this field might be pretty good; would love to hear
from NLM on this...]

(and lastly:)

===SET THREE===
1 and 2
[...I want those which are indexed in (BA, EM, CA, or PA) and NOT Medline and
are alive 'n kickin'...]
...and you get 4481

you needn't limit to English language, but if you do, you get 2961.

HENCE (even if I'm somewhat "off" on my SERLINE skills...) there are LOTS of
journals (serials, whatever) that are alive and considered good-enough to
trouble the folks at Chemical Abstracts, Biological Abstracts, Excerpta
Medica, or Psychological Abstracts -- and they're not in MEDLINE. Why?
because Medline is not meant to be the biggest-grandest thing in the world.
So: all the indexing improvements and careful searching in the world are not
going to save you or the end-user from "missing things." (Which is not to
say we shouldn't concentrate on these matters; but we ought to EXPECT to miss
things and have a better-than-vague idea WHY we missed things, and not tell
end-users that they have any prayer of doing comprehensive searches...)

The solution ??? (when comprehensiveness is an issue): maybe it is DIALOG's
"One-Search" and associated 'removal-of-duplicates' feature, used with
EXTREME care and preparation and testing. Perhaps there are similar tricks
on other vendors.

Here (below) are a few titles ("prt ti,ai compr") of serials from that final
set of 2961. (English language serials which are alive and which are not in
MEDLINE and which ARE in at least one of 4 other big bibliographic files).

--Tom

Thomas Mead, MLS
Information & Education Department
Biomedical Libraries
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 650-1741

TI - ANNALS OF BIOLOGY
AI - CA ; BA

TI - ANNALS OF BOTANY
AI - BA ; CA ; EM

TI - ANNALS OF CHILD DEVELOPMENT
AI - BA

TI - ANNALS OF THE COLLEGE OF MEDICINE, MOSUL
AI - BA ; CA

TI - ANNALS OF EPIDEMIOLOGY
AI - EM

TI - ANNALS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES (INDIA)
AI - BA ; CA

TI - ANNALS OF PHYSICS
AI - CA

TI - ANNALS OF THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS OF
      CANADA
AI - EM ; BA

TI - ANNALS OF SAUDI MEDICINE
AI - BA

TI - ANNALS OF SCIENCE
AI - BA ; CA

TI - ANNUAL PROGRESS IN CHILD PSYCHIATRY AND CHILD DEVELOPMENT
AI - BA ; PA

TI - BIOLOGICAL MAGNETIC RESONANCE
AI - CA

TI - BIOLOGICAL MEMOIRS
AI - BA ; CA

TI - BIOLOGICAL REGULATION AND DEVELOPMENT
AI - CA

TI - BIOLOGIST
AI - CA

TI - BIOLOGY OF CARBOHYDRATES
AI - BA ; CA

TI - BIOLOGY AND PHILOSOPHY
AI - BA

TI - BIOLOSKI VESTNIK
AI - BA

TI - BIOMATHEMATICS
AI - BA

TI - BIOMEDICAL AND CLINICAL ASPECTS OF COENZYME Q
AI - CA

TI - BIOMEDICAL LETTERS
AI - BA ; CA ; EM

TI - BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH
AI - BA ; CA ; EM

TI - COGNITIVE THERAPY AND RESEARCH
AI - PA ; BA ; EM

TI - COLD SPRING HARBOR MONOGRAPH SERIES
AI - CA ; BA

TI - COLEOPTERISTS BULLETIN
AI - BA

TI - COLLEGIUM ANTROPOLOGICUM
AI - BA ; CA

TI - COLLOID AND POLYMER SCIENCE
AI - CA ; BA

TI - COLLOQUES INTERNATIONAUX DU CENTRE NATIONAL DE LA RECHERCHE
      SCIENTIFIQUE
AI - BA

TI - COMMENTS ON MODERN BIOLOGY. PART A, COMMENTS ON MOLECULAR AND
      CELLULAR BIOPHYSICS
AI - CA

TI - COMMENTS ON MODERN BIOLOGY. PART B, COMMENTS ON TOXICOLOGY
AI - CA

TI - COMMUNICATIONS IN APPLIED CELL BIOLOGY
AI - CA

TI - COMPARATIVE HAEMATOLOGY INTERNATIONAL
AI - EM

TI - COMPARATIVE PATHOLOGY BULLETIN
AI - BA

TI - AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHARMACY AND THE SCIENCES SUPPORTING PUBLIC
      HEALTH
AI - BA ; CA ; EM

TI - AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICS
AI - CA

TI - AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PRIMATOLOGY
AI - CA ; EM ; BA

TI - AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY
AI - CA

TI - AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SCIENCE
AI - BA ; CA ; EM

TI - AMERICAN LABORATORY
AI - BA ; CA ; EM

TI - EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY
AI - PA

TI - EUROPEAN POLYMER JOURNAL
AI - CA ; EM

TI - EUROPEAN PSYCHIATRY
AI - BA ; PA ; EM

TI - EUROPEAN RESPIRATORY REVIEW
AI - EM

TI - EUROPEAN REVIEW OF APPLIED PSYCHOLOGY
AI - PA

TI - EUROPEAN SPINE JOURNAL
AI - EM

TI - JOURNAL OF FOOD PROTECTION
AI - EM ; BA ; CA

TI - JOURNAL OF FOOD QUALITY
AI - CA ; BA

TI - JOURNAL OF FOOD SAFETY
AI - CA ; BA

TI - JOURNAL OF FOOD SCIENCE
AI - BA ; EM ; CA

TI - JOURNAL OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
AI - EM ; CA ; BA

TI - JOURNAL OF THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE
AI - CA

TI - PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF PHARMACY
AI - CA

TI - PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF PHARMACOLOGY
AI - CA

TI - PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF SCIENCE
AI - BA ; CA

TI - PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH
AI - BA ; CA ; EM

TI - PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF ZOOLOGY
AI - BA ; EM ; CA

TI - PALLIATIVE MEDICINE
AI - EM

TI - PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF LONDON. SERIES A.
      MATHEMATICAL AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES
AI - BA ; CA

TI - PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOUTH DAKOTA ACADEMY OF SCIENCE
AI - BA ; CA

TI - PROCEEDINGS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO MEDICAL SCHOOL
AI - BA ; EM

TI - PROCEEDINGS OF THE WESTERN SOCIETY OF WEED SCIENCE
AI - CA

TI - JOURNAL OF MARRIAGE AND THE FAMILY
AI - PA ; BA

TI - JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE. MATERIALS IN MEDICINE
AI - CA ; EM

TI - JOURNAL OF MATERNAL-FETAL MEDICINE
AI - EM

TI - JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL PSYCHOLOGY
AI - BA ; PA

TI - JOURNAL DE MEDECINE LEGALE DROIT MEDICAL
AI - CA ; EM

TI - JOURNAL OF MEDICAL COLLEGES OF PLA
AI - CA

TI - JOURNAL OF MEDICAL PRACTICE MANAGEMENT
AI - EM

TI - JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE
AI - EM ; BA ; CA

TI - JOURNAL OF MEMORY AND LANGUAGE
AI - PA

TI - JOURNAL OF MENTAL HEALTH
AI - EM

TI - JOURNAL OF MENTAL HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
AI - HLI ; PA