]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  October 1993, Week 3

COMMUNET October 1993, Week 3

Mental Health Industry Network Development

"R.Wayne Smith" <[log in to unmask]>

R.Wayne Smith

Sun, 17 Oct 1993 14:34:22 -0700

--0-370566536-750894225:#21330

(Hello, Miles.
I did manage to get to the ftp site once I had the address.  I have been
using the gopher at the University of Washington's UW Information Network.
 I would imagine it to be "well connected", so would imagine that it was
just a matter of congestion.  I will prolly get back to civicnet and do
some browsing, shortly.)

Your idea of introducing the mental health industry to Communet (which I
have been receiving for some time), kinda gives me a case of "stage
fright".  I realize that it is a good idea, but after over 15 months of
"working" with the local mental health industry (MHI) trying to get them
to improve the services they already provide, I really feel that if I
mention _this_ idea to them, they are going to _totally_ freak when they
learn of some of the price tags to consider.  I begin to feel that the
reason more people aren't aware of the MHI is because these people have
been expending so much energy wrangling over the dollar, they don't have
the resources to do their job.  And they _really_ don't like it when I
point this out to them.

So, again, it's "great idea, Wayne, go for it!".  But I really don't have
the experience to do most of the "better ideas" I'm tossing at them now!

To date, I've managed to develop an interest here in Whatcom county of
exploring and implementing the "clubhouse model of psychosocial
rehabilitation".  [hopefully, the "attachment" got to you. :-)]
Unfortunately, the folks that would be most instrumental in developing
this project (Community Support Program managers) don't seem to want to
tackle it.  The people that are working at it are "day treatment" (better
known as "day care" by those misfortunates that are directed to it)
professionals that are firmly wedded to the illogical, incongruent
attitude that "lesser functioning mental health consumers _need_ day
treatment!".  Besides, the pre-vocational clubhouse model requires that
staff persons relenquish some of their control over the lives of these
consumers.

Probably, in large part, due to the MHI not having spread the need for
mental health services far enough, this area is one that is generally
among the first to go when budget crunches happen.  As such, the industry
is undergoing a shift to something called a managed care model, rather
than the present fee for services model.  As I understand it, instead of
an agency billing for services rendered, they will recieve a flat rate for
each consumer based on the consumer's level of need.  There is the fear
that this may cause some reduction in the level of support for consumers.
As such, there is gonna be a sudden interest in developing a clubhouse
program here.  (There are over 300 clubhouse programs in the world today,
with some being in Egypt, Australia, Germany, Pakistan, South Africa,
Portugal, etc.)  Therefore, I feel that I can get to work on the next step
of my "plan".

One of the goals of clubs, (and the MHI in general), is "improvement of
quality of life", and to re-integrate the consumer with society.  One of
the biggest issues is that of isolation from the surrounding community.
And since there exists that isolation, it is almost given that they know
very little of the world.  From years of BBSing, and most recently,
exploration of the Internet "cyberspace" I _know_ that horizons can be
expanded greatly through this medium.

I guess the idea is beginning to set in with our state's MHI; DSHS Mental
Health Division, Office of Consumer Affairs (a new office staffed
_entirely_ by mental health consumers), has just implemented a BBS for use
by MHI consumers and family advocate groups.  This board has an 800
number, so consumers and advocates can call from all over the state.

Another step has been the development of "Regional Support Network" MIS
systems.  Primarly, I think, this is to decentralize the information
sharing and billing functions throughout the state so that the state
system isn't quite so bogged.  Since these systems are generally run on
minis, there is also the inherent capability of message passing.  This
capability has the potential to connect service providers with consumers
and family groups through the OCA BBS.  (DSHS has a LAN.  The MIS
"terminates" somewhere in DSHS.  The SysOp of the BBS can be connected to
the LAN.  That connection _could_ be made to the same machine that runs
the BBS.  Also, DSHS has an "Internet Pilot Project" going on.)

What with the health care aspect of the NII, it would seem that DSHS (or
some entrepreneurial soul within the industry) could develop some sort of
MHI Internet capacity.  And, as I feel that mental health issues are at
the root of virtually _all_ of our planet's problems, it seems, to me,
that that system should also connect to the incubating community networks.
 I think the possibilities of that ought to be obvious.

Now, how do I do all that?!!

While I was a member of a clubhouse in Edmonds WA, (Freedom House), I
was instrumental in initiating development of a computer "network" such
that clubhouse business could be done on 4 computers.  This also would
allow for exposure of the consumers to computers.  I also installed a
modem in one of the machines and set it up.  I spotted the "communications
unit" staff person on the OCA BBS!  And found out that he intends to make
chiecking in with the BBS one of the units daily "tasks".   I guess
Freedom House is about to find out about the world of "computer mediated
communications", and learn something about "outside".  (I've been sort of
_lot_ of info to them concerning the NII and the Internet.  Most of the
material I have been sending, I found somewhere on the the Internet.)

Unfortunately, there are still a _lot_ of people in the industry and in
clubhouses that don't know how to use a modem.  If I could afford it, I
would prolly being running all over the state insuring connectivity.
Unforunately, I can't.  Is this something that a grant from somewhere
could be useful for?  Or maybe, one of the "projects" CCN mentioned?

And wouldn't it be great if other types of human services agencies were
able to connect to the Internet?  I'm thinking specifically of the Whatcom
Opportunities Council and the Volunteeer Health Resources Network; two
groups that are there with answers, suggestions, and/or support for
various aspects of the human services arena in Whatcom county.

I'm 37yrs old.  I have felt _totally_ disenfranchised from our society for
a long time.  Since 1980, I have basically turned my back.  (... hmmm..
wasn't that the start of the "Republican Era"?)  I now feel that there is
something that I want to do; something I want to give to society.  For the
first time since 1980, I feel like there is a "job" out there that is
worth doing!  I'm just not sure how to go about getting paid it!

Comments, ideas, suggestions welcomed!

Thank you!

10/17/93 1410hrs

--0-370566536-750894225:#21330

           A Clubhouse is a Community and a Culture.

The "clubhouse model" is a social invention in community rehabilitation
of individuals diagnosed with acute or chronic mental illness.  It is an
intentional community designed to create a restorative environment
wherein individuals who have been socially and vocationally disabled by
mental illness can be helped to achieve or regain the confidence and
skills necessary to lead vocationally productive and socially satisfying
lives.

A Clubhouse is a place where the distinction between "clients" and
"staff" is blurred into a concept of "Club Colleagues".  It is a place
to be with others and a place where Colleagues care about one another.
As in any Family or close knit community, the presence or absence of any
individual is acknowledged.

Clubhouse work is conducted by teams of colleagues that operate four
Units.  A typical Clubhouse will have a Communications Unit, a
Vocational/Educational Unit, a Colleague Support Unit and a Cafe Unit.

The Communications Unit facilitates communications between the club
and the surrounding community with a Clubhouse newsletter.  Also called
the Administration unit to reflect it's responsibility for over-all
operational aspects of the Clubhouse.

The Voc/Ed Unit empowers colleagues by assisting in their educational
and/or vocational pursuits: educational assessment, paperwork
assistance, GED preparation, job skill assessment and building, etc.

The Colleague Support Unit is essentially "peer support".  This unit
exists to support colleagues in whatever they may need.  Housing
assistance/advocacy, benefits advocacy and crisis support are some of
the services available from this unit.

The Cafe Unit operates a small restaurant in a business format that
provides a meal at a reduced cost to the colleague.  As a catering
enterprise, this unit can generate funds for the Clubhouse.

All units are constructed in such a way as to ensure that each colleague
feels wanted as a contributor to the unit.  Each unit is set up so that
it will not work without the cooperation of the colleagues; indeed, the
entire Clubhouse would collapse if members did not contribute.

Participation in the Clubhouse can be viewed as a "natural process" that
is essential to the growth and well-being of all individuals.  They are
members of a club and voluntarily provide their help and assistance.
They do not regard themselves as undergoing a formal rehabilitation
process, in which something is being done to them.  The goal is to
establish a foundation of better work habits, enriched social skills,
and a more hopeful view of the future.  Many discover that although they
are viewed as disabled, there are many ways they can still be
constructive, helpful, and needed.

In short, a Clubhouse is about establishing a community where there are
real friends, real coworkers, real contributions to offer, and where
there is a "flavor" of "extended family".

          WHATCOM    CLUBHOUSE    DEVELOPMENT    TEAM

WCDT is a collaborative effort of mental health consumers, advocacy
groups and local mental health professionals.  Our purpose is to
research the development of a Clubhouse for mental health consumers in
Whatcom county.

--0-370566536-750894225:#21330--