]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  December 1993, Week 3

COMMUNET December 1993, Week 3

Misleading W. Post lead on E-Libraries (& the NII) - Long

David Rothman <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Dec 1993 15:21:52 -0400

Some knowledgeable folks may feel a little grouchy about the lead of a
Washington Post story today--headlined "Annenberg's Education Gift Will
Fund Electronic Libraries."

Yes, Walter Annenberg's plan could do good. My TeleRead article in the
Post last spring ended with the observation that if Andrew Carnegie were
alive today, he would be funding experimental electronic libraries. I'm
thrilled to learn of Mr. Annenberg's generosity, whether or not he read
my article or William F. Buckley Jr.'s column on my proposal ("The
TeleRead in Your Future").

At the same time, however, I believe that Post reporter Mary Jordan's
*lead* is unwittingly building up false expectations. The lead says:
"Thirty percent of the $500 million that publishing heir Walter H.
Annenberg is donating to public education will go to the nation's nine
largest school districts, and millions more will create an electronic
library designed to give the poorest public school in Appalachia the
same books, plays, music and other resources available at Harvard."

John, I realize you didn't write the article, but as long as you've been
a rather savvy electronic ambassador of sorts for the Post, you might
tell Mary Jordan that her lead will make some citizens and government
officials more smug than they should be. I empathize with all overworked
writers on the deadline and suspect that she might have written a
different lead if she hadn't been under the usual time pressures. What's
more, I can entirely forgive the headline writer for writing something as
vague as, "Annenberg's Gift Will Fund Electronic Library"; I know the
space constraints involved here.

Still, think about the total impression passed on to the public, thanks
to the lead in the Post and perhaps similar leads in other newspapers.
Will every student in Appalachia *really* be able to dial up as many
books as students at Harvard? Just what is meant by the word "designed"?
I myself have a "design" for electronic libraries-- TeleRead--but
there's a difference between "design" and reality. Mr. Annenberg is
worth at least a few billion, but even he lacks the resources to bring
e-books to all.

Even if the entire $500 million went for databases for schoolchildren,
it would be a drop in the bucket. Just the annual editorial costs of the
American book industry are easily in the billions. And forget about the
costs of electronic magazine clips and other material, year after year.
What's more, who'll pay for all the computers with which the children
read the material?

To be sure, the Post article eventually did make clear that Annenberg's
plan wasn't a complete solution, and that government and other business
people would need to help. However, I suspect that most readers of a
story like this will skim the lead and move on to another news
story--happy that e-book issue is being addressed.

Especially thorny are the copyright questions. When I testified at an
interagency hearing on the NII, it was quite clear to me that some nasty
battles loomed ahead. And the just-announced suit of the National
Writers Union--against the owners of the New  York Times and other
publications--is one more indication that writers will not fall asleep
while their works are distributed far and wide without fair
compensation. Certainly, too, publishers share similar concerns about
books and articles circulating without property rights addressed. Just
one paragraph in Mary Jordan's Post piece alluded to "intellectual
proprerty rights," however. Alas, we'll never overcome our Savage
Inequalities without changing our present copyright system to be fair to
schoolchildren and billionaire publishers alike. We musn't replicate
online the outrages of the paper era.

A year or so ago, Apple's Steve Cisler come up with some 1988 statistics
for per-capita expeditures on library materials in California. Beverly
Hills was spending around $80 a year, while one rural county in the
same state could scrape up just a few dollars. A story today on your Page
A6, mentioning educational inequalities in Michigan, also serves to show
the mess we have now. What's more, I've just read of possible plans for
librarians in Maryland to start charging for some electronic information
dialed up from home--not the best news for the poor.

You can see, then, what I'm driving at. Even if Walter Annenberg pays
for the physical parts of a database (I'm not sure exactly what's
involved here) his plan is a long way from a total solution. Last I
knew, Mr. Annenberg could not enact copyright law.

Another solution exists, however--TeleRead, a way to build on his
efforts and others while addressing issues such as equipment costs and
copyright. TeleRead includes:

1. A government-industry program to drive down the cost of
sharp-screened, tablet-style computers (with separate keyboards)
designed to encourage reading, writing and other worthwhile activites,
including the K-12 networking of the kind that Dave Hughes and Frank
Odasz have championed. Glitzy multimedia has its place and could
eventually be included. But let's concentrate first on spreading more
basic technology around. Cliff Figallo of Well fame put it beautifully
when he said he'd rather see many people using "following-edge"
technology than fewer people using the "leading-edge" variety. By the
way, TeleRead is a multi-vendor, Free Enterprise approach that would
create opportunities for many companies--not just a favored few.

2. A *comprehensive* online national library of books, articles and
educational software for all Americans, rich and poor, students and
nonstudents--with fair compensation for writers, publishers and others.
The Clinton administration has taken a healthy interest in life-long
learning; clearly school-based solutions are just a start. General
revenue and small subscription fees based on family income would pay for
the library online. Existing librarians in many locations, not just
Washington, D.C., would manage the database; and publishers and writers
could easily bypass the librarians by gambling fees up front when they
posted books.

3. Cost-justification of the above, through a program to use the same
technology for government forms. Americans are spending hundreds of
billions of dollars a year in time and money on paperwork for IRS,
Social Security and other agencies. If mass use of electronic forms
reduced those expenditures by just a fraction, we could justify the cost
of the national database. In effect we'd be diverting resources from
paperwork-related activites in the private and public sectors to
knowledge-spreading activities in the private sector. There is much more
of a relationship between the NII and NPR than even the Clinton
Administration realizes. Remember the old rule of information
management: Multiple applications make much more sense than single apps.

I hope that the tech-smart civil servants on the ACE list will give the
matter some thought, and that Vice President Gore will discuss the
NII-NPR relationship when he next speaks out on NII issues--which I
understand that he'll do very shortly. Mr. Gore recently wrote me about
TeleRead: "I am impressed with this detailed and very professional
presentation. The information you provided certainly appears to contain
ideas that merit careful atttention."

Cordially,
David H. Rothman

For innocent and not-so-innocent bystanders: The latest teleread.txt
(this proposal is continually evolving) is available by e-mail to me at
[log in to unmask] Length is 170K, though I can send it in a flash.
Please make sure that you direct private messages to me, not the list.

David H. Rothman                             "So we beat on, boats against
[log in to unmask]                            the current...."
805 N. Howard St., #240
Alexandria, Va. 22304
703-370-6540(o)(h)
NOTE TO PEOPLE REPLYING *PRIVATELY* TO MY LIST POSTINGS: PLEASE DIRECT YOUR
 TO THE ENTIRE LIST. BE CAREFUL THAT YOUR SOFTWARE DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY
                   SEND YOUR NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE, TOO.
  I *encourage* online, noncommercial reproduction of my public postings.
       Permission hereby granted--implicit, explicit, whatever. Down
          with unnecessary restrictions on the flow of knowledge!

%%% overflow headers %%%
Cc: "COSNDISC" <[log in to unmask]>, "Publib" <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Communet" <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], "Ednet" <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Steve Cisler" <[log in to unmask]>, "Billy Barron" <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Arthur R. McGee" <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Dave Hughes" <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Robert Oakley" <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Cliff Figallo" <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask],
        "Anthony" <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Jonathan David Abbey" <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask],
        "Gordon Cook" <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Frank Odasz" <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask],
        "James M. Fallows" <[log in to unmask]>,
        "Ira Flatow" <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], "ALA Washington Office" <[log in to unmask]>
%%% end overflow headers %%%