Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  December 1993, Week 2

COMMUNET December 1993, Week 2

[MEETING] Chicago Info infrastructure

Communet: Community and Civic Network Discussion List

Thu, 9 Dec 1993 09:24:41 -0600

A CALL FOR ACTION ON INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE IN CHICAGO

[INTRO]

This is the introduction message posted to various news groups
and mailing lists.  For this, the first Chicago area meeting to
begin addressing II issues in the Chicagoland area, the
coalition building process and begin the dialog for this
coalitions position concerning NII and formulate a CA-II as it
effects all of us in the northern Illinois region.

The other posts are 1. Announcement 2. A rough draft of the
purposes of this meeting and 3. Another rough draft of a mission
statement.  I cribbed this from the Coalition for Networked
Information in Washington (CNI) and messaged it a bit, still
very rough.

You can also get all four by fingering me at
[log in to unmask] and save yourself some time. B-)

A topic for ongoing discussion both online and off is
integrating various policy positions promogulated already on
national levels, and synthesizing them for applicability in the
Chicago area i.e.  Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility (CPSR), Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF),
Libraries For the Future (LFF) and others.

PROBLEM:

We do not have Information Infrastructures (II) for our schools,
libraries, local governments or communities.  Information
Infrastructure - "we don' got one."

"If you look out over the city you see infrastructure, roads,
brick, bridges, skyscrapers but you do not see community!  There
are no lines at the border of Chicago, no fences where one
community ends and another begins, community is invisible.
People feel isolated even in their own buildings, even on the
same floor!  Life on the Internet is also invisible, when you
are not on line this global community can't be seen. Many times
you have probabily struggled to explain what you are really
doing at the computer and why it was important. Pull the plug
and the Internet community disappers.  In fact the
infrastructure for this is also hidden, small wires, little
boxes, flashes of light and the dance of electrons.  But when on
the internet, specifically newsgroups or mailing lists, the
sense of community is very powerful.

We want to build the invisible, infrastructure. To make the
invisible, community, visible.  This is a noble task."

[ The meeting announcement ]

                   I L L I N O I S  -  C H I C A G O  area
                        C O A L I T I O N   for
             N E T W O R K E D    I N F O R M A T I O N  for
                C O M M U N U I T Y   E M P O W E R M E N T
                            ( I. - C.  N.I.C.E. )
           [ Chicago Coalition for Information Infrastructure ]*

Volume 1 Number 1                                December 7, 1993

You are reading the first of our         For further information please
weekly newsletters!                      feel free to contact:

Our first meeting is scheduled for       Kang Chiu at (708) 291-8732
this Sunday, December 12th at
1:30 p.m..                               Carl Davidson   384-8827

Our first meeting will be held on        Don Goldhamer   702-7166
the DePaul University campus.            e-mail [log in to unmask]

WHERE:                                   Jay Hopkins at  747-4502
Schmitt Academic Center                  HOME: 478-0830
Room 280                                 e-mail: [log in to unmask]
                                                       or
ADDRESS:                                     (FOR IMPORTANT E-MAIL)
2320 N. Kenmore Ave.                     [log in to unmask]

                                         Dr. Patricia Morrelli 794-2760
LENGTH OF MEETING:                       e-mail: [log in to unmask]
This first meeting will not be
more than 1 1/2 hours long.              David Williams at 747-4629

HINTS:
The DePaul campus is adjacent to              S E E   Y O U   O N
the CTA elevated at Fullerton.
                                               S U N D A Y  ! ! !
The Schmitt Academic Center is
1 block west on Fullerton past
the elevated station and
1 block South of Fullerton.

* Help, we need a good name.  :-)

(c) 1993 Jay Hopkins for the CCII project

 [ Heres the purpose of this first meeting ]

       Chicago Coalition for Information Infrastruture ( CCII )

THE PURPOSE OF THIS AD HOC MEETING IS TO:

(A) Draw together an initial group of interested parties
representative of diverse interests, to address questions
concerning information infrastructure (II) issues in Chicago-
land area.

(B) Clarify the mission statement, and draft a short list of
initial projects.^1

(C)  Identify groups and organizations with interests in
II issues that should be contacted.

(D) Coordinate a process for contacting the identified groups as
part of a coalition building effort here in the Chicago area.

(E) Plan for the next meeting.

Suggested work items for the next meeting in January:

Funding issues. How much from where.  Models from OTA, NSF,
local, state, federal.  Corperate sponsorship, grants, donations,
membership fee structures.

Community outreach - multi level across library, school, LSC,
aldermanic.  Coordination efforts with State agencies, municipal
groups as well as municipal workers.

This Coalition is open to the public.  No groups, organizations,
agencies or persons are excluded from membership in this
Coalition. Each is vital part of this community of communities
called the Chicago-land area and makes a unique contribution to
the flavor of this region and can make a difference.

^1
  Some suggested projects are 1) a BBS,  2) a Chicago Free-net,
3) Development of a community gatekeepers program for II issues
in each neighborhood. 4) To form working groups to address
special topics such as: policy/legislation analysis and
formulation, technology assesment and implementation, grass
roots and community issues, education and advocacy, and
a steering body for the above groups.  Really, what ever REALLY
works in coalition type structures.

[ Heres the mission statement ]
         [ROUGH DRAFT of MISSION STATEMENT OF THE ]

      CHICAGO AREA COALITION for INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE
                   (This a temporary name)

MISSION

*  The mission of the Chicago Area Coalition for Information
Infrastructure is to promote the creation of and access to information
infrastructures in networked environments on community, institutional,
and municipal levels in order to enrich and empower the citizery of the
Metropolitian area,their communities and there local governances and to
enhance personal, community, municipal productivity, vitialize economic
development, education and promote the common good.

*  The Coalition pursues its mission by proposing Information
Infrastructure development and seeking to realize the information
distribution and access potential of existing and proposed high
performance computers and networks that support the education,
production, and consumption activities of the wide variety of citizens,
communities, institutions, organizations and local governmental bodies in
the Chicagoland Area.

*  The Coalition accomplishes this realization by undertaking activities,
on its own and in partnership with others, that formulate, promulgate,
evaluate, and promote proposals,policies, and protocols that enable
powerful, flexible, and universal access to networked information
resources at the local levels in the Chicagoland Area.

*  The Coalition directs the combined intellectual, technological,
professional, and financial resources of its members according to a
shared vision of how the nature of information management is changing and
will continue to change through the end of the 20th Century and into the
beginning of the 21st.

GOALS AND OBJECTIVES

*   To inspire, by promulgating vision statements that (a) project the
future characteristics and capabilities of high performance computers and
advanced networks, and (b) analyze those characteristics and capabilities
in terms of their likely impacts, both positive and negative, on the
local level.

*   To inform, by identifying, endorsing, supporting, and coordinating
projects that (a) are collaborative, (b) seek to advance the
understanding of or the state-of-the-art relative to the vision
statements, (c) recognize the need for open architectures and standards,
and (d) fully disclose their objectives, methods, and findings.

*   To influence, by advocating principles, guidelines, and positions
that address the behavioral, social, cultural, and economic processes and
structures that both enable and constrain the use of high performance
computers and advanced networks as infrastructures for communication.

*   To integrate, by providing opportunities for information workers at
all levels in libraries, higher education, municipalities, organizations
and the citizenry to work with each other and other communities in a
common enterprise directed toward a shared future.

--
         "Everything in moderation... _Except_ moderation" -- me
     [log in to unmask]         [log in to unmask]