]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  December 1993, Week 2

COMMUNET December 1993, Week 2

Re: Mailing list for non-profit and social issues

Desk Top Assistance <[log in to unmask]>

Communet: Community and Civic Network Discussion List

Tue, 14 Dec 1993 06:49:16 -0800

Thomas and Madeline,

Thanks for doing such great work on determining interest in
developing some Internet connection for the "nonprofit list." I'm
sorry I have not been able to participate the past few days but my
job as a nonprofit computer consultant had taken me into the field
where it is often difficult to get access to the net. Alas, I was
about 500 pages behind in my reading...

I must say that I find a curious situation replicated here, one
that I find all the time among my constituents. Mitra at Pandora
has also very perceptively identified the problem. The discussion
has been almost exclusively about which tools to use, listserv vs.
newsgroup. Some have even nixed the idea of our BBS without
discussion even though there is appropriate *content* there and
the tools exist to internetwork it to *any* other solution.
(Thanks for logging in, Tom, to get a first- hand look.)

Before proceeding I would like to see a serious discussion of two
prerequisites:  what is the mission or purpose of this list (what
kind of content/information exchange would it promote) and who
should be a part of it? From my reading of the past few days of
COMMUNET, I don't think there's a clear direction on this.
Answers to these questions will determine the choice of tools, not
the other way around. And answers to these questions will
certainly be used in accurately publicizing the list or group.

As for content, let me start by saying that I think the purpose of
the list should be to promote the appropriate use of information
technology in the nonprofit sector.  It should be geared primarily
for those of us you are in the business, whether nonprofit or for
profit, of providing technology support services that meet the
specialized needs of the sector. I think a large number of those
interested so far will agree with this.

Let me be a bit clearer. This notion is distinct from a list which
tries to discuss in a broadly conceived way the use of technology
by the sector. I can imagine many, "How do I do a mail merge in
Word"-type questions. While they need to be answered, it's best if
it's done by Microsoft or by a local consultant (we provide much
of our support online, but you probably don't want to ever know
about our local problems). It also is distinct from the notion of
a list of how to service underrepresented populations in the
information age, such as low-income people and people of color.
Again, a discussion that desperately needs to take place but the
Playing to Wins, etc. are in a much better position to take the
lead.

Rather, what I'm interested in discussing is how to effectively
help the nonprofit sector enter and navigate the information age.
Because nonprofits are now such a critical social institution,
performing services that were once the domain of government or the
private sector, their success is crucial to a functioning
democratic society. We agree that information technology is a
strategic lever that can expand the sector's efficiency and
influence.

But the sector does not agree with us, by and large. Spend any
time working with nonprofits and you'll soon discover that a
fundamental tenet of their belief system is that technology is the
problem, not the solution. Because they identify societal problems
with "progress" and progress is largely enabled by human
development of technology, nonprofits are very resistant to
embrace the enemy. How do we convince them otherwise?

Luckily the culture is changing around us. More an more nonprofit
managers and Board members are becoming conversant with
information technology from other life experiences such as school
and other vocations. But that will not solve the problem of how to
think about information technology from a nonprofit perspective,
that just like any tool it helps us do what we think is important
to do.  If your work as a nonprofit organization is important,
then chances are that there are appropriate information technology
tools to help you have a bigger impact and meet your mission more
effectively. We could use the "list" to help each other make that
case.

Another problem we face is quantifying the effect of a proposed
solution on a nonprofit organization. We *believe* that if a
nonprofit adopts our recommendation that they will save money and
time. But most of the time we do not *know* how much time or money
will be saved, thus making it very difficult to measure or
evaluate success. Of course, this problem is manifested in the
private and public sectors, but they have already been convinced
that they need some solution. Our constituents and their
donors/funders are not convinced, and until we develop some
methodologies for approaching this problem we'll all be pushing
the rock uphill.

There are lots of other ideas I could put on the table about what
the content might be on such a "list." What is meant by
appropriate technology? What are the sector's vertical markets and
are they being served effectively? How are emerging technologies
likely to impact or be used by the sector? How do we actually
define products that are tailor made to the sector's needs,
instead of simply adapting technologies developed for business or
home use? How does the sector effectively intervene in the policy
deliberations on the National Information Infrastructure?  I'd
like others to outline their ideas for content before proceeding
much further with the formation of a list or group.

I'd also like to see many more involved in the discussion. As
Chair of the Technology Resource Consortium, I've cc:ed this
message to our members because virtually none are on the COMMUNET
list. Hopefully they will reply to this message, and in any event
I can provide a list of e-mail addresses at the appropriate time.
Among us we can come up with another 50 list subscribers because
we are the national professional association of nonprofit
technology support organizations that provide education about and
access to information technology to the nonprofit sector, and we
all have out own networks that we can pull in to the discussion.

Finally, I'd like to make a pitch for IGC as the home for whatever
Internet connection the list adopts. It's not because the tool is
simple to use or that TRC has it's online home there. Rather, like
the members of TRC, IGC is a nonprofit itself, and like the
members of TRC, they have been in the business of serving the
nonprofit community for a very long time. We've learned a few
things. And IGC has full mastery of its own tools, including
internetworking. Whatever the content and audience demand, IGC can
provide.

I think we should proceed, but after discussing a bit some of the
issues I've raised above. It's great to keep the wave going, but
I'd hate to prematurely launch something about a clear idea of
what our mission and audience are. Toward that end, I'll check in
more frequently now that I'm back int he saddle.

Marshall Mayer