LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  December 1993, Week 2

COMMUNET December 1993, Week 2

Re: Help - Culture Preservation

"Gary S. Trujillo" <[log in to unmask]>

Communet: Community and Civic Network Discussion List

Fri, 10 Dec 1993 15:23:23 -0500

> I remember reading about the use some American Indians are making of the
> Internet to help preserve their unique identities. Can someone point me to
> an appropriate site or listserver that handles some of their work? My
> University has close ties to an Inuit community in the Arctic, and I would
> like to introduce the Internet to them, without any Government
> interference.

Jon,

You might be interested in the NativeNet mailing lists.  Here are
instructions for subscribing.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Gary

[This is a portion of the NN-INTRO PURPOSE description which you can obtain
from the TAMVM1 LISTSERV, using instructions given below.]

File:         NN-INTRO PURPOSE (abbreviated)
Last update:  22 April 1993
Author:       Gary S. Trujillo  ([log in to unmask])

What has come to be known as NativeNet began in the fall of 1989, following
my attendance at a conference at Smith College in Northampton Massachusetts
(described below), when I sought to describe some of my feelings about that
experience to a few electronic correspondents who I felt shared my interest
in the subject.  An interesting enough dialogue developed that I decided to
establish a mailing list and to attempt to actively facilitate a discussion
on a broad range of subjects relating to indigenous people and their issues,
which I have come to feel are really "our" issues, whoever we are, in an
increasingly interdependent world society.

I have operated this mailing list by means of a fairly small UNIX-based
system in my own home, on which I've implemented software which handles
the mailing list message relay function.  In the summer of 1991, the bulk
of the mailing list was transferred to a LISTSERV mailing list operated by
Texas A & M University, based at a site known as "TAMVM1" - which provides
both mailing list distribution and archiving, and which makes it possible
for users to administer their own participation.  At the present time,
there are four distinct NativeNet mailing lists based at TAMVM1, one known
as "NATIVE-L," which provides a general forum for exchanging information
and perspectives on matters relating to the indigenous peoples of the
world, a second, called "NATCHAT," which exists to provide a forum for
general discussion, and another, called "NAT-1492," which deals specific-
ally with the five hundred year anniversary of the voyage of exploration
of Christopher Columbus to the "New World," and the havoc that ensued for
the native peoples of the Americas.  The "NAT-LANG" list is for exchanging
information concerning the languages of indigenous peoples.  A list called
"NAT-EDU," which deals with issues regarding the provision of culturally-
sensitive educational programs for Native people and better and more accurate
educational materials concerning Native people for mainstream students has
been established at INDYCMS.  All of these lists are self-administered, in
the sense that subscribers can come and go at will by means of the commands
provided by the LISTSERV software.  (For a full list of current mailing
lists, and instructions on how to subscribe and post to them, please
retrieve "NN-INTRO LISTS" from the TAMVM1 listserv.)

NativeNet has attracted a wide following in the academic community, and
many indigenous people have expressed an interest in using computer
communications technology for the purpose of helping their communities
keep in touch with one another, and for a variety of more specific needs.
Volunteers are always needed to help develop these projects.  (Please
retrieve "NN-INTRO PROJECTS" for a full list of the projects.)

SUBSCRIBING

You can subscribe to any of the mailing lists whose names are listed
below by sending a message to the indicated subscription address (N.B., the
character at the end of the native-l list name is the letter L, and the last
character of the host name tamvm1 is the number ONE).

list name          description                subscription address

native-l    general information exchange    [log in to unmask]
natchat     general discussion              [log in to unmask]
nat-1492    Columbus quincentenary          [log in to unmask]
nat-edu     native education                [log in to unmask]
nat-lang    native language                 [log in to unmask]

To subscribe to one of these listserv-based lists, send a message to
the indicated subscription address.  Your message should be of the form:

        subscribe <listname> <Your Full Name>

where <Your Full Name> is your full name (not your email address), and
<listname> is one of the list names given above. For example, Mary Doe
could subscribe to the NAT-EDU list by sending the  message:

        subscribe nat-edu Mary Q. Doe

to the address [log in to unmask]

Some people at Internet sites apparently cannot send to Bitnet hosts using a
.bitnet suffix.  In that case, you can use [log in to unmask] in place
of [log in to unmask], and [log in to unmask] rather than

Bitnet users can simply use the hostnames TAMVM1 and INDYCMS, and would, if
using the CMS interface, send a message like:

        tell listserv at tamvm1 subscribe nat-1492 John Smith

UNSUBSCRIBING

In order to unsubscribe from one of the NativeNet mailing lists, you
need to send a message to the appropriate listserver.  For the NATIVE-L,
NATCHAT, and NAT-1492 lists, send a message to "[log in to unmask]"
or "[log in to unmask]" saying:

        signoff NATIVE-L
     or
        signoff NATCHAT
     or
        signoff NAT-1492
     or
        signoff NAT-LANG

For NAT-EDU, send the message instead to "[log in to unmask]"

If you just want to turn off mail during a period of absence, so that your
mailbox doesn't overflow, send instead the message:

        set NATIVE-L nomail
     or
        set NATCHAT nomail
     or
        set NAT-1492 nomail
     or
        set NAT-LANG nomail

(Later you just say "set NATIVE-L mail," etc. to re-enable mail to the
accounts.)

Copies of articles posted to the NATIVE-L, NAT-1492, and NAT-EDU mailing
lists are available from archives automatically maintained by the LISTSERV
software.  You can retrieve articles from the archives based on the subject,
sender, and/or date fields of article headers as well as based on the text
content of articles themselves, by means of database-style retrieval commands.
This facility is described in the article which you can get from the LISTSERV
file called "nn-intro archives."  I would encourage you to browse through the
archives to get some sense of the scope of the kinds of subjects we have dis-
cussed and exchanged information about since May of 1991, when the NATIVE-L
LISTSERV was started, and since September, 1991, when NAT-1492 began.  (Prior
to May, 1992, when NATCHAT began operation, discussion was carried in the
NATIVE-L list.)

Following is a list of informational files presently obtainable by means of
sending a message to the address "listserv@tamvm1" from Bitnet sites or to
"[log in to unmask]" or "[log in to unmask]" from Internet sites.

    nn-intro intro       this file
    nn-intro purpose     NativeNet origins, goals and current directions
    nn-intro lists       mailing lists - signup & posting instructions
    nn-intro archives    getting articles and files from LISTSERV archive
*   nn-intro projects    projects now underway and being planned

[ The "nn-intro projects" file is currently undergoing revision, and is not
  currently available.  An announcement will be made via NATIVE-L when it is. ]

To get one or more of these files, simply send a message to one of the TAMVM1
listserv addresses given above containing the text:

        get nn-intro <filename> NATIVE-L

For example, to get the archives article, use the message text:

        get nn-intro archives native-l

(Note that the NATIVE-L name need not be in uppercase letters - it's just
the fact that some people mistake the "l" character for the numeral "one"
when it is written in lowercase that has caused me to use NATIVE-L rather
than native-l in most examples.  Note, however, that the Bitnet host at
Texas A & M is TAMVM1 - that IS a one at the end!)

Please let me know if you have any problems with this facility.  If you do
send in a problem report, please send me a copy of the error message you get
what the cause of the problem might be.

Again, welcome to the NativeNet electronic community!

Gary

--
    Gary S. Trujillo                            [log in to unmask]
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst