Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 1994, Week 5

MEDLIB-L April 1994, Week 5

JCAHO Survival

Health Sciences Libraries Consortium <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Apr 1994 15:48:19 EST

Our JCAHO visitation was yesterday and today.  Last week a friend told
me that there had been some useful reports on visitations on MEDLIB.  So
Wednesday night I overcame my fear of addiction and read through the list
directory.  There weren't the first hand reports that I'd hoped for (And
a thank you to Connie for the one in National Network), but the discussion
on patient education materials turned out to be very useful.

Basically, here's how the day went:

At 10:00 I was scheduled for a meeting with the Administrator member of the
team, our Data Processing Director (Yes, we still use the term Data Process-
ing), the Medical Records director, and two of our administrators.  I was a
bit nervous since there is minimal interaction between our departments.  The
hospital is not networked and my experience with DP has been less than posi-
tive/helpful at times when it's mattered most.  The Medical Records director
and I had been sharing whatever we'd gleaned about visitation from other
hospitals, but that is the extent of our interaction.  About the only thing
we have in common since we don't even report to the same person (any of the
3 of us) is that we all happen to be on the same floor.

At any rate, we started late because not enough time had been allocated for
Pharmacy since we have both inpatient and outpatient operations.  Bob Matthews,
our visitor, gave a brief explanation of why JCAHO is linking the three depart-
ments in its new approach to things.  He then asked us to introduce ourselves
and tell how the three of us interacted.  I was second and as soon as I said
Library, he said "Oh, well I visit you this afternoon so we don't have to spend
time on you now."  In as much as the administrative assistant sending out the
schedules for the visit hadn't notified me of the meeting and said "Well, gee,
I don't know anything about it, I'll ask  Jim [her boss] and get back to you"
and then never did, (The Medical Records director had been the one to clue me
in on the meeting) I sat there mentally kicking myself for having pushed to be
at the meeting -- especially since I walked in to my office at 9 to find a
message from the administrator I report to telling me that I should be sure
to have a Safety page in my procedures manual since several people had been
asked for theirs yesterday.  My procedures manual is a joke -- in the three
years that I've been here I've been too busy updating the library to update
the written stuff.  My predecessor's was dated 1982 and included a long
range plan with item 1c reading "Get rid of one plant."

Matthews asked the Data Processing director to describe his needs assessment process.  He also asked about PC use throughout the hospital.  The Medical
Records director was asked what other Medical Records Departments are doing that
she would like to implement.  She was also asked how our physicians use the lackof a clinical system to gather data for writing papers.  She has implemented a
fairly efficient way of accessing what is computerized to identify appropriate
records to pull for specific parameters so she came through that one well.  (She
has only been director for about six months, but was the assistant for several
years before that.)

The final question was to ask us each what we were doing for CQI.

Matthews and the administrator to whom I report (actually, I am split between
him and the Ophthalmlogist-in-Chief, but that's another long story) arrived in
the library ten minutes behind schedule.  In the 20 minutes remaining, we had
a tour, he expressed interest in our historic collection and wanted to see the
oldest book.  He was pleased that we had MEDLINE on CD-ROM, but didn't know
that it was more than Ophthalmology journals and was not full text.  He asked
about linkages so I told him about the Health Sciences LIbraries Consortium
through which we access this list and the rest of the world, our Association
for Vision Science Librarians reflector list, and the other consortia to which
we belong.  He also asked about our audiovisual resources.  The final question
was who uses the library and what do we do for patients.  Here's where I am
extremely grateful to you all.  After Wednesday night's browse through 690
messages, I came in THursday morning and put together a folder of patient edu
cation stuff -- I included a list of the titles we'd purchased in the last
year and a sample sheet from Triad's Eye Care Notes (Thank you Reva Hurtes at
Bascom Palmer for putting me on to that last year).  I had also drawn up a
"disclaimer" statement in response to the discussion I read here, but that issue did not come up.  (I'd asked my administrator about it two years ago and he
didn't seem to think it was necessary.  But then he poaches software.  My lawyer
husband thought the two sentences I put together were safe.)  At any rate, he
pronounced us in good shape and left.  WHEWW, he did not ask to see my procedures manual!  (Three years ago I had been told "You've only been here three weeks so
so we won't ask to see your procedures manual this time, but will expect you to
have it updated next time.  No one here would/could tell me whether that was
ever put in writing.

I apologize for the length of this, but thought my experience could be helpful
to the next person in line for this triennial sweat test.  Please feel free to
call, write, fax, or whatever for reassurance, to ask questions, whatever.

One of our social workers suggested that the hospital gift shop start selling
shirts on Monday that read "I survived JCAHO."

                        Judy Schaeffer Young
                        Wills Eye Hospital
                        900 Walnut Street
                                                                                                        Philadelphia, PA 19107

Tel (215) 928-3288      Fax (215) 923-4510     E-Mail   [log in to unmask]