LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  June 1994, Week 5

COMMUNET June 1994, Week 5

Bell Atlantic/NYNEX Cellular

Eric Rabe <[log in to unmask]>

Communet: Community and Civic Network Discussion List

Thu, 30 Jun 1994 16:34:31 +0000

We thought that Internet users might be interested in the details of the=20
Bell Atlantic/NYNEX cellular alliance. While the attached News Release=20
provides an overview, a map of combined properties and other information=20
can now be found on our new World Wide Web server, as well as on our gopher=
=20
and FTP servers.=20

http://ba.com/www/ba_ny.html
gopher://ba.com/Wireless/Bell_Atlantic_NYNEX_Wireless
ftp://ba.com/pub/Wireless/Bell_Atlantic_NYNEX_Wireless

The Bell Atlantic World Wide Web server also provides links to other=20
telecommunication resources on the Internet. The Bell Atlantic WWW home=20
page is located at: http://ba.com/www/ba_ny.html

Eric Rabe
Bell Atlantic=09=09=09=09|   Internet:[log in to unmask]

For Release: Thursday, June 30, 1994

=09BELL ATLANTIC AND NYNEX TO COMBINE CELLULAR PROPERTIES
=20
=09ALLIANCE WILL SPEED "ANYTIME/ANYWHERE" SERVICE TO CONSUMERS;
=09POSITIONS PARTNERS TO COMPETE IN NATIONAL WIRELESS MARKET
=09

New York, NY -- Bell Atlantic Corporation (NYSE:BEL and NYNEX Corporation
(NYSE:NYN) today announced they will combine their cellular service
properties to create a leading company to compete in one of the great
national growth markets of the next 10 to 20 years -- wireless
communications.=20
    =20
"This new company will focus on the development and deployment of
'anytime-anywhere' capabilities across a broad market area, with great R&D
expertise and superior customer and network support systems," Bell
Atlantic Chairman and CE0 Raymond W. Smith said.=20

"Our extensive financial, marketing and technological resources make the
new venture a capable competitor in the rapidly developing wireless
marketplace against the likes of AT&T-McCaw and MCI-British
Telecom-Nextel. In addition, we expect to add new partners to our national
PCS (personal communications services] alliance."

NYNEX Chairman and CEO William C. Ferguson said, "Together, we are well
positioned to deliver the benefits of wireless technology to customers.=20
Our two companies share a common vision of wireless services.  By
combining our efforts, our new venture will secure a position of
leadership in the wireless communications industry by assuring that new
applications are brought to customers in a timely, cost-effective way.=20

"To a great degree, this joint venture is an extension of our existing New
York-northern New Jersey cellular partnership, and we know from experience
that we work well together to provide value for our customers and our
respective shareowners."

For 10 years, NYNEX and Bell Atlantic together have operated a cellular
system in the New York metropolitan area which, with a population of some
15 million people -- or POPs in industry parlance -- is the largest
cellular market in the nation.=20

NYNEX and Bell Atlantic together serve seven of the top 20 cellular
markets in the U.S. Their combined markets cover a population of some 55
million POPS.=20

Initially, Bell Atlantic will own 62.35% of the company, and NYNEX will
own 37.65%.=20

"By extending the Bell Atlantic-NYNEX reach from Maine to South Carolina
=ADincluding the densely populated, communications-intensive Northeast
corridor running from Boston to Washington, D.C. -- our joint venture will
be positioned to create a premier national wireless service provider that
will offer a new range of choice to consumers," said Lawrence T. Babbio,
Jr., Bell Atlantic executive vice president and chief operating officer,
and chairman of the joint venture's management operations committee.=20

The new joint venture also includes Bell Atlantic's properties in the
Southwest.=20

"We have the foundation for building a national wireless presence by
obtaining PCS licenses and by bringing like-minded PCS providers into our
new alliance," he said.=20

Babbio also committed the new company to employing the best business
practices culled from the operations of Bell Atlantic's and NYNEX's
existing mobile subsidiaries.  "We intend to provide our customers with
the best wireless service available anywhere," he said.=20

The new venture will develop an aggressive strategy for acquiring and
operating PCS licenses that are expected to be auctioned by the Federal
Communications Commission later this year.  The company will coordinate
existing cellular operations with newly acquired PCS licenses to quicken
the introduction of coast-to-coast personal communications services.=20

The parent companies have established a management operations committee to
determine how to best integrate their wireless operations while
maintaining excellent customer service and effective marketing efforts.=20
In addition to Babbio, the members of this top-level group will be
Frederic V. Salerno, NYNEX vice chairman=ADfinance and business development=
;
James G. Cullen, Bell Atlantic president, Ivan G. Seidenberg, NYNEX vice
chairman, president and chief operating officer; and William 0. Albertini,
Bell Atlantic vice president and chief financial officer.=20

The companies expect to close the transaction in the second quarter of
1995. The joint venture will be controlled equally by both companies.=20

NYNEX is a leader in helping people communicate by providing
telecommunications, directory publishing and information network and
delivery services to 12 million customers in the northern United States
and selected markets around the world.=20

Bell Atlantic Corporation, based in Philadelphia, is the parent of
companies which provide a full array of local exchange telecommunications
services in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and
Washington, D.C. The corporation is at the forefront of developing a
variety of new products, including video, entertainment and information
services.=20

In addition to being the corporate parent of one of the nation's largest
cellular carriers, Bell Atlantic has an ownership position in cellular
properties internationally.  In addition, Bell Atlantic owns an interest
in Telecom Corporation of New Zealand and is the parent of companies that
provide business systems services for customer-based information
technology throughout the U.S. and internationally.=20

=09=09=09        ###