]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  August 1994

SKIVT-L August 1994

*** The Colorado Skier - Lost Ski Areas - #16, Aug 18 ***

[log in to unmask] (Mark Wallace)

Thu, 18 Aug 1994 07:19:47 -0600 (MDT)

Following is an article I'm posting/mailing which was written
by a co-worker of mine who's hobby is ski area trivia.  The main
motivation for these postings is feedback, so if there is
anything you can add or respond to please do.  I'll pass along
any feedback you may have, but don't question this
information without consideration, I've seen some of his
resources.

Mark Wallace (aka Boris), Castle Rock, CO

Subject:  LOST "COLORADO" SKI AREAS  -  EDITION 16

Greetings from THE COLORADO SKIER

Researching "lost" Colorado ski areas is the hobby of THE COLORADO
SKIER.   But we ran out of lost areas in Colorado.  So we decided to
cover the whole country.  We've completed the SOUTHEAST and are now
working on NEW HAMPSHIRE.  Is your state next?

For more info on skiing and ski areas, check out our separately posted
companion articles entitled:   "THE COLORADO SKIER - TRIVIA",  "THE
COLORADO SKIER - SKI NEWS", and  "THE TCS LISTS".

            LOST "COLORADO" SKI AREAS  -  EDITION #16

EDITOR'S REMARKS:

 A. Lots of responses and feedback to SKI NEWS 9.  2nd highest all-
    time response count.  Once again we thank you for your support.

 B. Poor LOIS - She said:  "Now that you've finished NH, how about
    doing VT?"  We probably mislead her with our alphabetical order
    technique of doing "A-L" in the first batch and "M-W" in this
    batch.  That adds up to 24 lost NH areas.  Actually there are 70!
    So it will be a while before we finish NH.  Sorry about that.

 C. Some of the data in this post was obtained from "THE WHITE BOOK OF
    SKI AREAS", which is copyrighted by Inter-Ski Services, Inc.

1.  THE LOST SKI AREAS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

    {Copyright 1994, THE COLORADO SKIER.  All rights reserved.}

   Here is the info on the twelve NH ski areas we listed last time:

  MONADNOCK   (Jaffrey),  [obscure],  Located 3 miles west of Jaffrey
    off NH 124.   Called "Monadnock Bible Conference Ski Area" in 1968
    & 69.    A 1949 reference said:  "Winter sports area."  By 1979 it
    was "X-C only".
      Vertical Drop:  125 ft       Top:  1200     Base:  1100
      Lifts:  1 rope tow

  MONTEAU   (Woodsville),  [closed],  Located 7 miles east of
    Woodsville on Hiway 112.  Called "SWIFTWATER VALLEY" until 1979.
    Opened sometime before 1978 and closed in 1990.
      Vertical Drop:  635 ft       Top:  1475     Base:  840
      Lifts:  1 double chair, 1 rope tow

  MOOSE MOUNTAIN   (Brookfield),  [closed],  Located on Hiway 109 off
    Rte 16.  Reputed to be "One of the first ski areas in the state"
    (opening date ???).  Closed after the 1986/87 season.
      Vertical Drop:  1220 ft      Top:  1850     Base:  630
      Lifts:  1 double chair, 2 T-bars         Night Skiing

  OAK HILL   (Hanover),  [closed],  Located 1 mile north of Hanover on
    Hiway 10.  "The J-bar was introduced here in 1936."   Closed 1983.
      Vertical Drop:  300 ft       Lifts:  1 T-bar

  PINNACLE MTN   (Keene),  [closed], Located 5 miles east of Keene on
    Hiway 9.  Operated from before 1964 to 1978.
      Vertical Drop:  330 ft       Lifts:  1 T-bar, 1 Poma

  RICHARD TAFT RACING TRAIL   (Franconia),  [very obscure],  This is
    the name of the first "ski area" at CANNON MOUNTAIN way back in
    1932.  It was not lift served until the tram was built in 1938 and
    a rope tow was added on the upper, slalom portion.  There is still
    a trail by this name at CANNON.

    [OK, we were reaching here.  The "area" never had its own lift
    before CANNON MTN opened so, by our own rule, it was not a ski
    area.  However, the trail was so significant to early NH skiing
    that we thought it deserved its own listing.]

  ROSEBROOK   (Bretton Woods),  [name change],  Original name for
    BRETTON WOODS (still open) from 1972 to 1974.  Note that the
    current ski area is located on "Mt. Rosebrook".

  SNOW CREST   (Lebanon),  [name change],  Located 4 miles south of
    Lebanon on Hiway 120.  Changed name to WHALEBACK (still open) in
    1971 or 72.
      Vertical Drop:  500 ft       Lifts:  2 T-bars

  SNOW'S MOUNTAIN   (Waterville Valley),  [merged],  Was the original
    ski area at Waterville (1952).  Still open.  Located adjacent to
    and owned by the current WATERVILLE VALLEY which opened in 1966.
    The newer area was built on the site of the Mt. Tecumseh Racing
    Trail.  Snow's had separate snow reports in the seventies.
      Vertical Drop:  583 ft       Top:  2103     Base:  1520
      Lifts:  1 double chair

  TENNEY MOUNTAIN   (Plymouth),  [closed/name change],  Located 7
    miles southwest of Plymouth on Hiway 3A.  Opened before 1964.
    Last operated (as Tenney) for the 1989/90 season.  Reopened as
    LOOKOUT MTN (still open) in 1992.
      Vertical Drop:  1400 ft      Top:  2150     Base:  750
      Lifts:  1 triple chair, 1 double chair, 1 T-bar, 1 rope tow

  TYROL   (Jackson),  [closed],  Located 2 miles north of Jackson on
    Hiway 16B.  Opened in 1968.  Closed around 1981.
      Vertical Drop:  1000 ft      Top:  2450     Base:  1450
      Lifts:  1 double chairlift, 1 T-bar, 1 Poma

  WILDERNESS   (Dixville Notch),  [name change],  Early name for
    BALSAM'S WILDERNESS (still open).  Was also called WILDERNESS AT
    THE BALSAM'S in the mid-seventies.
      Vertical Drop:  1000 ft      Top:  2700     Base:  1700
      Lifts:  1 double chair, 2 T-bars

2.  WHO REMEMBERS THESE LOST NEW HAMPSHIRE SKI AREAS?

       Amherst-Bedford             Berlin Ski Jump
       Brookline                   Copple Crown
       Gorham                      Highlands Mountain
       Intervale                   Mt. Whittier
       Peckett's on Sugar Hill     Rockhouse Mountain
       Spruce Mountain             Woodbound Inn

3.  LOST SKI AREA FOLLOW-UP

 a. CROTCHED MOUNTAIN - JOSH and TED, two of our regular NH readers,
    both pointed out some errors in our Lost CROTCHED listing in LOST
    15.  The area MIGHT have changed its name to EVERGREEN if a
    certain sale had gone thru.  However the sale never happened and
    the area closed under the "CROTCHED" name.  Also, the ski area
    closed after the 89/90 season, not 90/91.  Thanks, guys.

 b. THE WHITE BOOK - We told Ted that our "Evergreen" info came from
    "The White Book" (TWB) and he said "What is that?"  For him and
    all of you:  "The White Book of Ski Areas" contains a listing for
    (almost) every operating ski area in the U.S. and Canada, plus
    helicopter operations, plus data on several areas in South
    America.  [There is also a "Blue Book of European Ski Areas".]

    For each area the data include:  Top, Base, Vertical, acreage,
    snowmaking acreage, lifts, lift capacity, season, hours, prices,
    location, phone numbers, etc.  Depending on their size, each area
    gets a quarter, half, or full page listing.  Some pix and trail
    map renderings.  The book has been published yearly since 1976 by
    Inter-Ski Services, Inc.  It comes out yearly in the Fall and
    costs about $16.95.  We have never seen it in a book store or
    library, but any good book store can order it for you.  JAN-ERIK
    says he always consults TWB before skiing a new area.

 c. THE WRECK OF THE HESPERUS - ILANA (CO) has been keeping us posted
    on the status of the "lost" HESPERUS ski area, west of Durango, CO
    which operated for several years after being dropped by TWB.  Now
    Ilana reports that the area failed to pass its state tramway board
    lift inspection and it did not operate for the 93/94 season.
    Probably dead  (whoops, we mean officially "Lost").

4.  OTHER LOST SKI AREAS - Our list of "lost" U.S. ski areas just
    passed the 1000 mark.  We have covered about 200 in these
    newsletters.  To help pick up the pace, here are some extras:

RHODE ISLAND     [Still Open:   YAWGOO VALLEY  (Exeter)]

 DIAMOND HILL   (Cumberland),  [closed],  Located 1 mile north of
   Cumberland on RI 114 in Diamond Hill State Park.  We sense a death
   and rebirth here.  Early on (1968 to 1976) there were 2 chairs.
   Then the area closed and seemed to reopen with just 3 rope tows in
   1977.  By 1981 there was only one rope tow listed and the ski area
   was operated by the "RI Division of Parks and Recreation".  Not
   listed since 1982.
     Vertical Drop:  290 ft        Top:  500      Base:  209
     Lifts:  2 chairlifts, 3 rope tows         Night skiing

 PINE TOP   (W. Greenich Center),  [closed],  Located north off Hiway
   165, 2 miles south of Escoheag.  Operated from about 1967 to 1981.
     Vertical Drop:  280 ft        Top:  580      Base:  300
     Lifts:  2 T-bars, 2 rope tows      Night Skiing

 SKI VALLEY   (Grant Mills),  [closed],  Located 1 mile north of
   Grant Mills, on Hiway 121.  Operated from about 1965 to 1986.
     Vertical Drop:  275 ft        Top:  475      Base:  200
     Lifts:  1 double chair, 1 Poma, 5 rope tows     Night Skiing

MISSOURI  [Still Open: HIDDEN VALLEY (Eureka),  SNOW BLUFF (Brighton)]

 MONACO   (DeSoto),  [obscure],  1 rope tow.  One reference - 1968.

 TAN-TAR-A   (Osage Beach),  [closed],  Located west of US 54,
   southwest of Ozark Beach, on the grounds of the huge "Tan-Tar-A"
   resort (900 rooms).  The ski area opened in 1964.  The entire
   resort was acquired by Marriott in 1978 ("Marriott Tan-Tar-A") but
   the ski area was closed about 1982.
     Vertical Drop:  175 ft        Lifts:  1 T-bar, 1 rope tow

5.  SKI AREA NEWS - FOLLOW-UP   (Thanks for all the info)

 a. WOE IS STOWE - The grandiose upgrade plans are on hold.  Seems the
    local zoning folks didn't care much for the mini-mall concept and
    said that the base lodge couldn't be open in the summer.  Yoicks!
    There goes the summer business and conventions, etc.  So the base
    lodge is definitely on hold - for re-design.  It seems to us that
    the snowmaking and new quad chairs could proceed independently but
    the 94/95 plans are uncertain.

    Also, the "base connector" CHAIR across Hiway 108 may have to be a
    GONDOLA - for safety reasons.  FWIW the base connector CHAIR at
    Loveland crosses a U.S. highway which is open in the winter.
    There is a net under the chair to catch skis and snowballs, etc.
    At Stowe, 108 (as we recall) isn't even open in the winter!  Stay
    tuned for further updates.  (Thanks WES and new reader ED)

 b. SUNDAY RIVER - CHARLIE reminded us that this thriving ski area in
    ME now owns ATTITASH, in NH.  The connector lift will be the
    world's longest gondola.  :<)

 c. THEIR MAGIC IS A LITTLE RUSTY - We thought that the MAGIC MTN, VT
    chairlifts had been removed by STRATTON.  Wrong, twice.  BRIAN
    (MA) has hiked the area and the chairs are still standing.  He
    reports that the whole area looks like they just turned off the
    power and closed yesterday.  Unfortunately the chairs haven't
    received any maintenance and looked a little rusty.  And it was
    BROMLEY that bought the area, not STRATTON.    Hey, Bromley,
    Stratton - same place, right?  Some of you may object to us saying
    that but we bet most of you can't tell the difference between
    PURGATORY and TELLURIDE, or BRIGHTON and SOLITUDE, or ALPINE
    MEADOWS and NORTHSTAR.  Think about it.

 d. UTAH - MICHAEL (Dusty, UT) reports the following Utah changes:
    PARK WEST has been sold and has changed its name to WOLF MOUNTAIN.
    A new base lodge at BRIGHTON.  No evidence of the proposed new
    "Baby Thunder" quad west of SNOWBIRD.  (Would this be the first
    step in the long awaited expansion into the "White Pine" area?)

 e. DEER VALLEY - and PARK CITY, UT are roughly on adjacent ridge
    complexes with the undeveloped "Empire Canyon" separating them.
    DEER VALLEY has struck a deal with a mining company which owns the
    canyon and intends to develop it with 7 new chairs and 47 new runs
    (doubling Deer Valley's size).  The town is starting to panic
    about the crowds and the infrastructure needed, etc.  Park City
    (town) is rapidly turning into an Aspen with rampant building,
    rising prices, and crowded streets.  Still a nice town to visit,
    tho (as is Aspen).

 f. KILLINGTON - is planning to replace their 25 year old gondola with
    a bigger, faster version  (finally - it was not only the longest
    lift in the U.S., it was the slowest!).   BTW, there are other old
    gondolas still operating at Park City, Mammoth, and Vail.

 g. SUGARLOAF, ME - We guessed wrong.  The new quad is not replacing
    the gondola.  It will start at the base to the right of the double
    runner chairs (near the First Aid bldg) and climb up between
    "Skidder" and "Competition Hill" and end above Skidder.  Looks to
    be over 2000 feet of vertical.  Also there will be two new runs to
    the right of Skidder.  Thx, to new reader, LARRY.

 h. A-BASIN, CO - Stays open longer in the spring (late June) than any
    other area in CO and sometimes the whole country (not counting
    TIMBERLINE).  This they do without any snowmaking, just depending
    on altitude and snow depth.  Now, the parent "KRMI" (owners of
    Keystone and Breck) is planning on adding snowmaking on the upper
    slopes so that they can stay open all summer!  Sounds like fun!

 i. SKI THE SUMMIT - is alive and well with ALL FOUR areas included,
    despite rumors to the contrary.  This we hear from a long time
    reader who is actually employed by one of the Summit ski areas.

 j. WE SURRENDER! - Courtesy of various Mooselets, we now have 3
    copies of the Burlington Free Press articles about the MRG sale.
    Thank you.    [P.S.  To Jon - we loved the Tuckerman Ravine
    articles.  Way cool.]   [P.P.S. - "Dr. Quackenbush" is a Director
    of MRG?  Be serious!  That's a name made up by Groucho Marx!]

6.  TRIVIA FOLLOW UP

 a. THE SALT LAKE CITY OLYMPICS - In re X-country at high altitudes,
    we stated that the events would be held at about 6900 feet near
    Park City.  MICHAEL (Gritty, UT) points out that altho the bob,
    luge, jumping, etc, will be held at the new Utah Winter Sports
    Park, the XC events will be held further "down" towards SLC at a
    place called  "Mountain Dell" at 6000 ft.  (Would that be near the
    old PARLEY'S SUMMIT ski area?)   Michael (Silt, UT) suggests that
    the chance for good snow there is nil.

    We knew someone would bite: No, Tom, SLC has not yet been selected
    to host the Olympics, but they are odds-on favorites for 2002.

 b. SKI WITH THE BEATLES - JEFF (CO) wanted to know where to find a
    picture showing THE BEATLES in ski togs (for his ski shop).  A
    little research revealed that they skied in the movie "Help", the
    scenes were filmed in Austria, and among the "still" photographers
    on the set were Paul's brother, who has a book with many early
    (B&W) Beatles pix, and Linda M, who was doing her first serious
    "shoot".  None of this helped us find the pic tho (see item "c",
    below).  However, we did eventually find a pic showing the "Fab
    Four" in identical black outfits, with lace boots, and one very
    long scarf wound around all four of their necks.

 c. TRIVIA IS EVERYWHERE Department -  (1)  We were thumbing thru a
    1968 ski magazine and came across an article on "skiing
    celebrities".  Sure enough there was a picture of The Beatles (see
    above) which we had been searching libraries for, for weeks.

    (2)  When we mentioned that we keep lists of tourist gondolas and
    trams, "John R" of NM, said how about the "gondola across the
    Mississippi River" built for the World's Fair in New Orleans.
    Wow!  We didn't know about that one.  But guide books don't list
    it.  We were about to send our two Lafayette, LA readers off to
    The Big Easy to do field research  (No, it's over the river guys,
    not Bourbon St!)  when we came across an article about  "World's
    Fair, ten years later".  The article said that the gondola failed
    as a commuter/tourist system, the cars and cable had been removed,
    and the towers were about to be demolished.  Too bad.

    (3)  We were reading a golfing magazine about an upstate Michigan
    golfing resort called "Treetops".  It has three famous designer
    courses (e.g., Jones, Fazio).  In the middle of the article it
    stated that there was also an old ski area there.  It was
    originally called "SYLVAN KNOB", and now the whole complex is
    called "Treetops/Sylvan".     Trivia is everywhere!

7.  POTPOURRI

 a. FRIENDS & FAMILY - Mark told JON that he was receiving two TCS
    issues because we E-Mail him one and we E-Mail to the Moose (VT)
    mailserver which sends him another one.  Solution?  Simple, we cancel
    our copy, so he can continue on Moose.  Wait, he says plaintively:
    "Maybe two copies isn't so bad - I would still like to be included
    in the list of folks reading and contributing to TCS".   What a
    nice thought!  Thank you.

    However, we don't look at it that way.  The E-Mail list is simply
    a delivery method, no different than posting.  We keep a separate
    "Friends and Family" list of 280 readers who have E-Mailed To TCS
    with some interesting comment, criticism, or question (JON
    qualifies).  That's the "A" list.  In fact there are about 30
    names on the E-Mail list which aren't on the "F & F" list because
    they haven't yet given us any feedback.

    So, write to us and you are a friend for life (shudder); ask to be
    on the E-Mail list - sure, "junk mail is us".   ;<)

 b. CONDOS VS LIFTS - Tom Moore wrote a lengthy treatise about the
    CROTCHED MOUNTAIN demise where he said that the problem with them
    and several other Eastern ski areas was that the owners spent more
    money on condos (trying to make a quick buck) than on lifts,
    snowmaking, etc, and eventually the skiers stopped coming.   Then
    BRIAN voiced a similar comment:  "I'm willing to bet that Magic
    Mountain, VT could be a going concern, if run as a ski area,
    rather than a condo development".

    We agree.  The worst dead ski area we ever saw was STAGECOACH
    (near Steamboat Springs, CO) which had completed condos, half-
    completed condos, and foundations for condos.  Talk about ugly!
    Meanwhile the lifts were still standing but there was NO BASE
    LODGE.  What a dumb approach!   Skiing should come first.  Now you
    might argue that the condo sales help finance the ski facilities,
    and possibly even help keep lift ticket prices down.  Wrong!
    Repeat - WRONG.  See ALTA.

 c. ALTA PRICES - "Alta Ski Lifts" runs one of the best ski operations
    in the business.  They own no land, restaurants, or hotels.  They
    operate chairlifts and they operate a ski school.  They provide
    parking.  That's it.  The on-mountain restaurants are leased to
    operators.  Until a few years ago, the only base lodge was in the
    basement of a separately owned hotel.  And they make money -
    RUNNING A SKI AREA!   And how does this affect lift ticket prices?

    Consider this.  ALTA has a vertical drop of 2000 feet, 8
    chairlifts, and the best powder snow in the country.  For this
    they charge, on average (pay attention, now) one-half the price
    that VAIL charges!  ONE-HALF.  Here are some examples (dollars):

     1977    Vail 14    Alta  7         1986    Vail 30    Alta 15
     1981    Vail 20    Alta 10         1989    Vail 36    Alta 19
     1984    Vail 25    Alta 12         1993    Vail 45    Alta 23

       Enough said.

 d. "ARDUOUS"?  -  How about damn scary!  Two folks responded to our
    comment that the road to SKI APACHE, NM was the most arduous we
    had ever driven.  One person said "way cool".  The other said
    "Arduous?  Obviously you have never driven it in a whiteout."  No
    we haven't.  Sounds pretty scary to us.   BTW, for you folks from
    the East, Southeast, and Midwest - "Mountain highway guard rails"
    is a scientific breakthrough yet to be discovered in the West.

 e. WHAT WE THINK - We think that we are getting old.  Van Cliburn
    (concert pianist) is on tour.  He started his tour at the
    HOLLYWOOD BOWL to commemorate the start of his very first tour,
    many, many years ago.  We were at the BOWL for his original tour.
    Please don't look up the year!

    Instant Movie Review:  "Clear and Present Danger".  See it!

    Someone told us that there is a baseball strike.  So?  They
    already had a very short season, from the end of the NBA Playoffs
    in late June to the start of football season Labor Day weekend.
    So what's two less weeks?  Big deal!

8.  EPILOG

 a. Please provide your CITY NAME in your first E-Mail to TCS.

 b. If you would like to be ADDED to the TCS (direct E-Mail) mailing
    list, notify MARK at:  "[log in to unmask]"  He will obtain
    your address from the "From" line.

 c. Due next:  "TRIVIA.16"    (about 12 Sep)

 Cheers from THE COLORADO SKIER

   THE OLD MAN OF THE MOUNTAIN - "Up near Cannon Mtn, NH, there is a
     pile of rocks which, when viewed from just the right angle, looks
     exactly like a pile of rocks."      Dave Berry