Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  August 1994, Week 2

MEDLIB-L August 1994, Week 2

Results of Thesaurus Software Query

Conan the Librarian <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Aug 1994 12:17:44 -0400

Subject: Results of Thesaurus Software Query

Thesaurus software per se I can't speak to; but there are a couple of
dedicated indexing software packages that might do the job for you:

Macrex
Bayside Indexing Service
P.O. Box 3051
Daly City, CA 95015-0051
(415) 756-0821
FAX: (415) 757-1567

Cindex
Indexing Research
Box 18609
Rochester, New
(716) 461-5530
FAX: (716) 442-3924

Both of these packages are in the $500 range, and each offers a demo disk
for around $35 (applicable to purchase price) that will let you try them
out before buying. (I use CINDEX. Among other things, it offers an
optional medical spell checker.)

There are some cheaper indexing programs available as well; but these are
the leaders in the field. Both are DOS only; CINDEX has announced both a
MAC and WINDOWS version under development, but they are not out yet.
*****************************

For a LIbrary School project I used:

        ARIS : IOTA version : thesaurus construction software with textual
        database manager.
        Beta Test version 4/1991

from:

        Anderson Rowley Information Systems
        c/o James D. Anderson
        P.O.B. 38
        New Brunswick, NJ 08903-038
**********************************

This message is in answer to your buslib message. There is a
software called IOTA that does things like generate a KWIC, does
nesting and helps to generate a thesaurus with cross references.
We used it in Library School. It is rather primative but does the
job, however I have never made a thesaurus. There is another software
that only makes a thesaurus that was used in Library School also, bu
the name of it escapes me now. I dont know if any of this will help
you.
******************************

BRS/SEARCH text retrieval software includes a thesaurus module based
on the ANSI standard -- at least the old ANSI standard. This enforces
13 relationships such as Broader Term, Narrower Term, Related Term, Use,
Use For, etc. Of course you have to invest the intellectual effort
to actually create the thesaurus. Which as you doubtless know, is not
a trivial effort. However the BRS thesaurus automatically creates
reciprocal relationships and all that.

As an MLS, the name BRS is probably familiar to you. BRS/SEARCH software
is now part of Dataware Technologies (Cambridge, MA) since the old
BRS was ravaged. We no longer have any connection to the BRS online
service. In fact, what's left of the online service is owned by CD-Plus,
not Dataware. I don't even have a BRS online password any longer.

BRS/SEARCH software runs under DOS, Windows, UNIX, VMS.
***********************************
The only real professional quality thesaurus software I know of is Liu-
Palmer's. I'm not at my office or I'd give you a phone number but I think
they're based in the bay area around San Francisco. Sorry for the partial
reference. I think they are listed in Computers in Libraries annual vendor
directory though. Many people build their own thesaurus database. I have
one in Inmagic as well.
********************************
Liu-Palmer Thesaurus Construction System
        11666 Gateway Blvd., Suite 195
        LA, CA 90064
        310/390-4884

They'll send you a demo diskette which will on a limited basis let you
review the full range of capabilities. I haven't used this package;
however a professor from Univ of Tenn who I worked with on a thesuarus
construction project suggested it.
************************************
The software we use (Cardbox Plus) have a special co-program designed to
create and manage Thesauri (Term Manager). Upload of external text is
very easy.

Unfortunately, although the program has now a window version, the
co-program only works under DOS.

Cardbox Plus is a product of Business Simulations Ltd 30, St. James's
Street London SW1A 1HB. Tel: +44 71 925 0636, Fax: +44 71 925 0638
****************************
THIS MESSAGES IS BEING POSTED TO INDEX-L AND ARCHIVES & ARCHIVISTS

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my query about thesaurus
management software. Some of you requested a summary of responses,
so here goes. I am including comments where they were given. Otherwise,
the list includes at a minimum a phone number for further information.

ARIS (718) 884-9538. Developed by Jim Anderson at Rutgers.

BEAT THESAURUS SOFTWARE. Developed by Joseph Sau for the Catalonian
language. Distributed as shareware. Runs on DOS PC. Limited scope notes
of 256 characters. Supports complex relationships. Allows output in a
variety of fashions. For more information, contact Richard Pearce-Moses,
Curator Photographs, Arizona State University Libraries, Tempe, AZ 85287-
1006. IACRPM2ASUVM.INFRE.ASU.EDU (Internet). IACRPM@ASUACAD (Bitnet).

ENERGY TECHNOLOGY DATA EXCHANGE INTERNATIONAL ENERGY THESAURUS SYSTEM.
Created by the U.S. Dept. of Energy's Office of Scientific and Technical
Information. Automatic reciprocal generation (or deletion). Supports the
following relationship types: broader term, narrower term, related term,
used for, seen from, use, and see. Notifies the creator of possible
logical errors. Maintains the date entered and date of last change.
Allows for scope notes, definitions, and status codes. Software is
written in FORTRAN for DEC VAX running the VMS operating system.
Software is available from the Energy Science and Technology Software
Center, U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Scientific and Technical
Information, P.O. Box 62, Oak Ridge, TN 37831. Phone (615) 576-2606 or
e-mail [log in to unmask] For info from a user's viewpoint, contact
Catherine Grissom (615) 576-1175 or e-mail [log in to unmask]

ET! by CP Software (415) 391-5290.

LEXICO2 BY Diversified Data Technologies (301) 469-9001.

MULTITES. A multilingual thesaurus manager capable of handling up to
nine languages. Developed by Hector Echevarria. Latest version 4.0 boasts of
many powerful thesaurus construction and management features. Contact Mr.
Echevarria for a demo disk. P.O. Box 12420, Research Triangle Park, NC
27709. Phone (910) 275-8181.

STRIDE by Questans (301) 593-8901.

TCS (Thesaurus Construction System), professional edition, release 2.1,
1994. Allows up to 35 thesauri, 2000 hierarchies, and an unlimited number
of terms. Has hierarchical, alphabetical, and permuted displays. Automatically
inserts new terms in order; creates reciprocal relationships (BT, NT, RT,
UF/USE). Creates hierarchies and allows them to be moved. Includes scope
notes and user-defined scope notes. Allows use of facet indicators and is
menu or command driven. Descriptors can be up to 60 characs in length with
scope notes of unlimited length. Available from Lui-Palmer, 11666 Gateway
Blvd., Suite 195, Los Angeles, CA 90064. Phone (310) 390-4884. Fax (310)
390-9270. (As an aside: this package was used for Jessica Milstead's 1994
book, ASIS THESAURUS OF INFORMATION SCIENCE AND LIBRARIANSHIP, published for
ASIS by Learned Information, Inc., Medford, NJ).

TERM MANAGER by Caxton Software (416) 366-2574.

Some folks cited the following evaluative articles:

Milstead, Jessica L. "Specifications for Thesaurus Software." INFORMATION
PROCESSING AND MANAGEMENT 27(2/3): 165-175, 1991.

Milstead, Jessica. "Thesaurus Software Packages." ASIS '90: PROCEEDINGS OF
THE 53RD ASIS ANNUAL MEETING, Nov 4-8, 1990.

Milstead, Jessica. "Thesaurus Software Packages for Personal Computers."
DATABASE 13(6): 61-65, Dec 1990.

"Thesaurus Management Software," ENCYCLOPEDIA OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION
SCIENCE, vol. 51, supp 14, pp. 389-407.

                        Glenn Ferdman, MLS
        Foundation of Record Education (FORE) Library
of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
                919 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1400
                    Chicago, IL 60611-1683
         312-787-2672, x275 * 312-787-9793 (fax)
                       [log in to unmask] (e-mail)