Returned mail: Host unknown (fwd)

Brent Wall <[log in to unmask]>

Communet: Community and Civic Network Discussion List

Sat, 12 Nov 1994 21:00:23 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 19:42:37 -0500
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown

554 communet@uvmum.uvm.edu... 550 Host unknown (Authoritative answer from name server)

   ----- Recipients of this delivery -----
Bounced, cannot deliver:
Sent successfully:
   "Scott E. Harder" <[log in to unmask]>

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 19:42:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Brent Wall <brentw>
Sender: Brent Wall <brentw>
Subject: Re: Financing Community Nets
To: "Scott E. Harder" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]

On Thu, 10 Nov 1994, Scott E. Harder wrote:

> Brent--
>
> The Fort Collins Community Computer Network is doing several things to
> become financially sustainable.  We are NOT a free-net, however, and do not
> advertise ourselves as such.  We are organized as a private non-profit
> corporation.
>
> >1.  General Fund property taxes---problem, yesterday's elections show
> >that there is a shrinking constituency for increasing these taxes.
>
> Indirectly used by the City to fund a $25k pilot study.
>
> >3.  Charge fees for use to cover all expenses--problem--then there is no
> >freenet with the burden falling on those who do not have the ability to pay.
>
> We are planning to charge a small annual fee for internet email and access
> to local information.
>
> >5.  Commercial underwriting where menus are established on the local net
> >and business are charged a fee for advertising on same.
>
> We are doing this through information provider contracts, custom technical
> applications, etc.
>
> >6.  Charge fees for "enhanced services" e.g., our net does not support
> >IRCs, MUDs, etc. due to storage and processing problems--if someone wants
> >to use the net for these "non-educational" uses, they would be charged a
> >fee which would off-set this usage burden and, in some and probably small
> >amount, underwrite other PEG net functions.
>
> We will provide full internet access for a charge per month.  This
> operation, however, will not subsidize the community network operation.
>
> >8.  Solicit entities to support lines and modems in return for a NPR type
> >of acknowledgement.
>
> We thought about doing this and may yet.
>
> >9.  Donations:
>
> We received several sizeable corporate donations from high-tech companies.
>
> Scott E. Harder                                     voice:  303.221.4396
> Environmental Financial Group                       fax:    303.482.3658
> Ft. Collins, Colorado U.S.A.

Scott,

A radical option, which I will propose to my Board, but which I don't
think for a minute will be acted on is:  public ownership of the
infrastructure.  That is, local governments could issue revenue bonds
paying for the condmenation of the cable and phone infrastructure.  I
think the numbers would work on such condemnations, since the costs of
acquisition could be off-set by charges for use of the networks by phone
and cable companies.  (This is the extreme case of charging them a
right-of-way fee which could also underwrite the PEG functions of a
community net.)

The model here is the interstate highway system.  It is owned by all
Americans and its development and maintenance is paid from gas taxes.
The analogy breaks down when the regressive nature of gas taxes is taken
into account.  To compensate for this option, again, as I have posted
before, the commercial users--c.f., trucking firms--would pay a fee such
that the individual users' use of the Iway would be underwritten by
profit making enterprises.

Analgously, PEG functions could, maybe should, be underwitten by
commercial interests who would be charged a fee in excess of their use of
net services.  This option provides local, if not state governments,
with  control over the infrastructure--not withstanding the Clinton
Administration's Title Seven proposal.  For example, entertainment, while
enjoyable, is less important, from various points of view, than
educational uses of the net.  Why should they be priced the same.  We can
do without entertainment, but, if we believe in an educated and informed
electorate, can we do without education?

Another benefit of this approch is that, if we were to own the
infrastructure, then, like our federal highways, all could travel over
same without prejudice.

If we are truely interested in universal access, not to mention diverse
programming, and less, the increased competition over a
publically
owned infrastucture where all can sell their wares or political views,
then, perhaps, we community nets should lobby our local governments to
purchase the infrastructure,that, with a PEG supported fee structure,
could underwrite the access to the net by those who cannot afford
exhorbitant charges.

I am suggesting that any community that runs the numbers would find
that the public ownership of the Iway infrastructure works.  And an
infrastructue owned by all would or should increase "universal access"
in the sense that the interstate highways are open for all, and this
should increase competition.  Since, as most of us know, even Ted Turner,
given who holds stock in his corportations, cannot control entirely the
programming he offers, since there is a dangerous degree of vertical
integration in the future possible Iway industries.  The danger is that
they will, that is, a limited number of supercorporations, will own the
production
facilties, the distribution networks, as well as the physical
infrastructure.  If only a few own everything, what range of programming
and views can we expect?  Condemnation with revenue bonds offers an
alternate future, one which, if we, the hoi polloi, the great unwashed,
are to enjoy the unfettered benefits of diverse opportunites of democracy.

I don't believe for a minute, well, maybe, a half-minute, that these ideas
fit at all with the governing ethos or political culture at any level of
govenment today, especially given the results of this past Tuesday.  But
think of it:  if we all owned the electronic
infrastructure, and gave all access to same--no matte who from Rush to Hush,
and used the profits from
same to pay for PEG functions, we would all have viable community nets
passing information along to all--rich man and poor man.

Oh well, this is an old and probably dated vision, which, they say, has
no relevance today.

I'd like to hear your views.

Regards,

Brent Wall