]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  November 1994, Week 2

COMMUNET November 1994, Week 2

La Plaza--News From The Mountain November 1994

richard bryant <[log in to unmask]>

Communet: Community and Civic Network Discussion List

Mon, 14 Nov 1994 21:22:27 -0700

LA PLAZA--NEWS FROM THE MOUNTAIN
Volume 1, Number 8, November 1994

From the Editor

Every month seems to be busier and go faster for all of us at La Plaza. This
issue of News from the Mountain is late, but better late than...

We are getting prepared for the big celebration on 6 December, when we "flip-
the-switch" for public dial-in access to the La Plaza Telecommunity. And,
believe it or not, we are actually on schedule.

Everyone, and we mean everyone, is invited to the bash. Hope to see you there.

This newsletter is available online, or in hard copy for those in Taos. If
you do not already receive "La Plaza--News From the Mountain," please let me
know, and I will gladly add you to our subscription list.

Richard W. Bryant, Editor, and
Executive Associate--Projects, R&D
La Plaza TeleCommunity
P.O. Box 1828
El Prado, NM 87579
Direct Tel/fax: 505-758-1919
Information in this newsletter may be freely distributed, but it must
include a reference to the source: La Plaza--News from the Mountain
Vol x, No. y, Month, Year.

All rights reserved. R.W. Bryant, La Plaza Telecommunity, 1994
CONTENTS

La Plaza Starts "Quick-Start" Workshops for UNM-Taos, Town of Taos, and
Taos County
La Plaza Summit II on 6 December--Flipping the Switch
Virtual Library Under Discussion
Volunteers Needed for Developing Local Content Information
La Plaza Fills Three New Positions
New Paid Membership Premiums

LA PLAZA STARTS "QUICK-START" WORKSHOPS FOR UNM-TAOS,
TOWN OF TAOS, AND TAOS COUNTY

During October and November, Richard Bryant gave a number of "Quick-
Start" workshops for the University of New Mexico--Taos Education Center
faculty, staff, and administration, and key personnel from the Town of Taos
and the county. Groups of 10 to 15 sat down in front of computers at the
UNM-Taos Computer Lab for about two to two and a half hours and learned
the basics of logging on to La Plaza, and the basic resources and tools
available, including: login names, passwords, security, email, gopher, telnet,
FTP, WWW, WAIS, and netiquette.

The Quick-Start workshop appears to provide enough information to neophyte
net surfers that they can successfully logon, pick up and send email, and start
doing some simple information searches. Over the next few months, La Plaza
will be sponsoring additional workshops targeted at special interests, e.g.,
science and technology, history, literature, English, foreign languages,
business, government, and others. In addition, a continuing series of Quick-
Start workshops will be offered at least once a week, depending on demand.

LA PLAZA SUMMIT II ON 6 DECEMBER--FLIPPING THE SWITCH

The La Plaza Summit Meeting II is scheduled for 6 December. The switch will
be flipped for public dial-in access and everyone is cordially invited to
attend the party. There will be short presentations, demonstrations, and tours
of the La Plaza facilities, but the principal goal is for everyone to have
a good time. Members of the community can register and sign-up for a
workshop. Very importantly, it give all of us at La Plaza an opportunity to
thank our many supporters in and out of Taos.

For our out-of-town friends, please let us know by email, telephone, or
snail mail, and we will gladly provide you with information on the
Taos region, lodging, restaurants, and skiing (the mountains have been getting
snow, so you might want to take advantage of some early December skiing
while there are no crowds).

VIRTUAL LIBRARY UNDER DISCUSSION

Representatives from Los Alamos National Laboratory recently met with La
Plaza, UNM-Taos administration, faculty, staff, local museum
representatives, and library representatives, to discuss the possibility of
creating a virtual online library for the Taos region, and via telnet
everywhere else. The library would include noncopyrighted materials, some
materials that would fall under the fair-use doctrine, and other materials
for which publisher permission would be granted to make available online.

Another interesting use for the virtual library would be a virtual reserve
shelf. Students could read reserve materials online, without visiting the
UNM-Taos Learning Resource Center. The materials would never be checked out and
unavailable.

Representatives from the local museums were very excited about the
possibility of putting a wide range and large amount of archival historical
documents, photos, and other images in the virtual library. Currently, a
number of these museums have an excellent collection of Southwestern
historical information, that is in some cases, deteriorating. This material
could be digitized and made available to everyone online.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR DEVELOPING LOCAL CONTENT
INFORMATION

La Plaza is looking for volunteers to collect and/or input local Taos
information that will be put online. Anyone who can spare some time,
please contact Patrick Finn at:

505-758-1836 or [log in to unmask]

LA PLAZA FILLS THREE NEW POSITIONS

La Plaza recently filled three new positions after about a month and a half
search. We received many good resumes, and the decisions were tough.
However, we believe that the three individuals listed below are excellent and
will be tremendous assets to La Plaza and the Taos community. They are:

Office Manager--Denise Blanchette
Senior Member Technical Staff--Dan Pruitt
Learning Resource Center/Telecommunity Center Librarian--Steve Torma

Welcome aboard!

NEW PAID MEMBERSHIP PREMIUMS

For those who wish to contribute to La Plaza as a paid member, there are two
new premiums. First, if you become a member at the $35 level, you will receive
a special La Plaza "Driver's License" that entitles you to discounts or coupons
for x-dollars off merchandise or services at participating merchants. If you
contribute $50 or more, you will receive, in addition to the discounts or
coupons, the new La Plaza T-shirt fresh from the press. The T-shirt also can be
purchased separately for only $12.00. The T-shirts will be on sale at the
Summit II on 6 December.