MEDLIB-L February 1995, Week 1

CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Mounir Khalil <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:51:23 EST

                   CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

                Eastern New York Chapter/ ACRL
                    Spring 1995 Conference

           "The Internet and the Academic Library"

                        March 17, 1995
               Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
                        Troy, New York

8:30-9:00 Registration & Coffee

9:00-9:15 Welcome Remarks: Carla List, President, ENY/ACRL
                          and Loretta Ebert, Library Director, Rensselaer
                         Polytechnic Institute

9:15-10:15 Keynote 1

                   "A5C4DE2IL3MNOR2SU2 (ak-del-em-nor-su):
Decoding the Library Profession's Response to Emerging Networked
Resources," Thomas G. Kirk, Jr., College Librarian, Earlham College

        [With apologies to Tom Kirk for the inability to transmit
        special characters in his title accurately through electronic
        means.]

10:15-10:30 Refreshment Break

10:30-12:00 Concurrent Sessions:

      SESSION 1
      "What Are They Doing With the Internet: A Study of User
Information Seeking Behaviors," Peter Wei He, Network Services
Librarian, and Trudi Jacobson, Coordinator of User Education
Programs, University at Albany

      "Using Internet for Document Delivery," Prof. Mounir A. Khalil,
Assistant Professor, Science and Engineering Library, City University
of New York

      SESSION 2
      "Use of the Internet via Universal Information Access
Workstation," Hye Ok Park, Library Automation Coordinator, California
State University, Fresno
      "Wiring the Trenches: Teaching Faculty and Librarians Working
Together On the Internet," William D. Graziadei, Professor of Biology,
State University of New York College, Plattsburgh; and Gillian M.
McCombs, Assistant Director, Technical Services, University at
Albany
      SESSION 3
      "The Dirty Details of Gopher Maintenance:The University of
Michigan and the Economic Bulletin Board," Jan Zauha, Assistant
Librarian, Documents and Data Support, University of Michigan
      "Using WWW Software as a Teaching and Outreach Tool,"
Michael Engle, Reference Services Division, Cornell University

12:00-1:30 Lunch
                         ENY/ACRL Business meeting

1:30-2:45 Concurrent Sessions

     SESSION 4
     "Rare Books Catalogers and the Internet," Eric v.d. Luft, Project
Staff Assistant for Rare Books and Special Collections, State
University of New York Health Science Center Library, Syracuse and
Special Projects Cataloging Consultant, Arents Research Library,
Syracuse University
     "Sharing CD-ROM Databases Over a Wide-Area Network:
Preliminary Findings," David Ritchie, Technical Coordinator, A-V
Cataloging, and Keith Ostertag, Access Services Librarian, State
University of New York College at Cortland

     SESSION 5
     "Multi-User Technologies for Library Settings," A.M. Iliana
Filby, University at Albany
     "Evaluating the Use of the Internet Among Academic
Reference Librarians," Marilyn Rosenthal, Head of Interlibrary Loan
and Reference Librarian, and Marsha Spiegelman, Instructor, College
Archivist and Reference Librarian, Nassau Community College

     SESSION 6
     Internet "Hands-On" in Rensselaer Labs with Rensselaer
Librarians

2:45-3:15 Refreshment Break

3:15-4:00 Keynote 2/Conference "Wrap"
                   "Change and Challenges: The Impact of Emerging
Technology on Library Services," Bill Davis, Director of Computing
and Information Technology, SUNY Geneseo

4:00-4:45 Tour of Folsom Library; Multi-Media demo; Internet
               "Hands-On"

Directions to Rensselaer Polytechic Institute

>From Thruway Exit 24: Take I-90 east. Go 6 miles to exit for I-787
north. Proceed on I-787 to exit for Rte 7 East to Hoosick St. At the
4th traffic light turn right on 15th St. Continue through 3 traffic
lights. Campus will be on both sides of the street.

>From Thruway Exit 23: Follow signs for I-787 North. Proceed about 9
miles to exit for Rte 7 East to Hoosick St. Then see directions above.

>From the Northway: Take exit 7, Rte 7 East to Troy and Hoosick St.
Follow directions above.

The Visitors Center is on the east side of 15th St. next to the
pedestrian bridge. To the conference registration area in the
Darrin Communications Center take the pedestrian
bridge (or stairs from ground level in several places). From
the bridge, Darrin is the third building on the left.

Parking

Before 9 AM there should be ample street parking available.
Suggested streets are Federal St, 15th Street, Bouton Rd. and Peoples
Ave.
Alternative parking is available at a cost in campus parking lots. Stickers
for these lots can be picked up at the Visitors Center on 15th Street.
There is a $6 charge for these stickers. There will be some space
available in all the lots especially the North Lot. The
North lot to the Darrin Communications Center is about a 5 min. walk.
(Entrance to North lot is from Peoples Ave; the entrance to core lots
 is on 15th St.by the traffic light.)

For additional directions and special needs, contact Kristina
MacCormick at 518-276-8350 or by email: [log in to unmask]

Emergency Phone Number during the Conference: 518-276-8530

Please join us for an informal dinner before the conference on March
16th, at 7 PM. We will make reservations in advance to assure us of
service.
Place: Brown and Moran
          417-419 River St.
          Troy, NY
          518-273-2337

HOTELS IN THE ALBANY-TROY AREA

Best Western Rensselaer Inn
1800 6th Ave.
Troy, NY 12180
518-274-3210 $52-62

Super 8 Motel
1 4th St.
Troy, NY 12180
518-274-8800 $36-59

Best Western Albany Inn
200 Wolf Rd.
Albany, NY 12205
518-458-1000 $65-95

Susse Chalet
44 Wolf Rd.
Albany, NY 12205
518-459-5670 $50-68

REGISTRATION

ENY/ACRL Spring 1995 Conference

"The Internet and the Academic Library"

March 17, 1995
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York

     RETURN COMPLETED REGISTRATION BY MARCH 8 TO:
          Kristina MacCormick, Local Arrangements Chair
          Folsom Library
          Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
          Troy, N.Y. 12180-3590

Name______________________________________________________

Title__________________________________________________________

Affiliation________________________________________________________

Phone_________________________________________________________

Email__________________________________________________________

Address__________________________________________________________

Program Selection : Please indicate which sessions you expect to
attend. Choose 1 session for the morning, 1 session for the
afternoon, and one for the post-session activities, if desired:

AM PM Post sessions

_____Session 1 _____Session 4 _____Library Tour
_____Session 2 _____Session 5 _____Multimedia Demo
_____Session 3 _____Session 6 _____Internet Hands-On

Registration Fees: (We are sorry, but there are no refunds)

_________$35.00 ENY/ACRL member*

_________$25.00 Student or Retiree

_________$45.00 Non-member (includes a 1-year membership for first-
time members
          ____Yes I would like the 1-year membership

          ____No, I would not like the 1- year membership

____YES, I need a receipt (will be included in conference packets)

*To check on your membership status, contact Sharon Britton, 315-
859-4484 or [log in to unmask]

Lunch: A luncheon will be served. Three choices of entree are
available. Please select the entree you prefer:

          ____Breast of Chicken Parmesan

          ____Sliced London Broil with Sherry-Mushroom Sauce

          ____Vegetarian du Jour (Chef's Choice)

          ____YES, I will be attending the dinner at on March 16th.
          (Cost not included in registration)

Early registration will help to insure meal preferences and workshop choices.
     Don't delay!

****DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION IS MARCH 8, 1995****