Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  February 1995, Week 1

MEDLIB-L February 1995, Week 1

INFORMAL BOOK REVIEW: Introduction to Epidemiology

Laura Larsson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:39:05 -0800

Colleagues:

I am compelled to share my thoughts with you about this book.

Regards,

Laura C. Larsson
Research Librarian
Health Services
University of Washington
Box 357660 <--new mail stop
Seattle, WA 98195-7660
206/616-2935 (new phone number as of 9/1/94)

INFORMAL REVIEW of Timmreck, Thomas C. An Introduction to
Epidemiology. Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 1994.
$40.00

This is intended to be an informal review of Timmreck's book. I
have no financial stake in its purchase, nor do I know Dr.
Timmreck. I'd sure like to though. What a clear thinker!

It's not often these days that I go out and purchase an expensive
new book using my personal funds (I prefer to spend my money on
computer programs) - but I did in this case. I was fortunate
enough to examine the University of Washington Health Sciences
Library copy of Timmreck's book several weeks ago and decided I
HAD to have it! I picked up a copy yesterday and have been having
fun browsing through it. In fact, I spent an enjoyable lunch
hour reading the first chapter. I was so taken by the book, I had
to share my enthusiasm with you.

Some of you may think that the name Timmreck sounds awfully
familiar - and you'd be correct in your thinking. Thomas
Timmreck is the gentleman who gave us that wonderful dictionary
several years ago [Dictionary of Health Services Management. 2d
ed. available]. Timmreck is a well published author (more than
45 articles, a dictionary, and another book called: Handbook of
Planning and Program Development for Health and Human Services. I
haven't looked at this last-mentioned book, but you can be sure
that I will now).

Many of us with degrees in English literature have made a
concerted effort not to view epidemiology and biostatistics with
fear and loathing, realizing that we need some skills in
statistical analysis in order to be able to provide statistical
information to our researchers and students. Many of the books
I've looked at dealing with the topic of epidemiology have been
thinly disguised biostatistics books. That is not so in this
book. Timmreck's Preface states in no uncertain terms that, "Some
epidemiology books seem to be written by biostatisticians for
biostatisticians, with many of the basics left out, or at the
most, quickly glossed over, in order to get to the biostatistics.
... This book was written and developed as an introductory
epidemiology text for the student who has minimal training in the
biomedical sciences and statistics".

Each of the 12 chapters in the book begins by outlining
what the objectives for that chapter are. For example, Chapter
One states: "This chapter on foundations and basic concepts of
epidemiology * presents basic concepts, constructs and principles
foundational to epidemiology; * defines epidemiology,
epidemiologist, and related terms; * presents the purposes,
goals, scope, and uses of epidemiology; * presents the
epidemiology triangle and an advanced epidemiology triangle for
chronic diseases and behavioral disorders; * presents
the concepts and principles of case as used in epidemiology; *
presents the three levels of prevention used in public health and
epidemiology; [and] *presents key terms and study questions for
review of chapter concepts."

I knew I had to have the book when I the definition of
epidemiology. Epi- means "on, upon, befall"; demo means "people,
population, man"; -ology means "the study of." Thus, he goes
on to say, "epidemiology, if taken literally, means "that which
befalls man." He goes on to give several more sophisticated
definitions, but the sheer simplicity of the first definition
was, for me, an clear indicator of how the rest of the book would
likely read. I was not mistaken. If you pick up the book you
will not only find the writing style easy to read and the
contents (with a little study) very comprehensible, but you'll
likely have a hard time putting the book down. (Hard to believe,
I know, but true.) I think I finally understand the difference
between incidence (new cases of a disease in a specific
population over a specific period of time) and prevalence (the
number of people in a population who have a certain disease,
disorder, or condition at a given point in time). Lovely.

Let me just tell you some of the other topics covered in the
book. In Chapter 3,"Selected Historical Developments in
Epidemiology", we are told about epidemiology done by
Hippocrates, Sydenham, Snow, Pasteur, Koch, Graunt, and
Ramassini. We learn about Typhoid Mary, about the epidemiology of
vitamins in curing nutritional diseases, about the Framingham
Heart Study and about the epidemiology of cigarette smoking and
cancer. Timmreck is not afraid to raise unpleasant or difficult
issues. He spends two or so pages on the Tuskegee Syphilis Study.
I was reminded again of how easy it was for unethical public
health practitioners to mistreat a segment of our population by
not providing African Americans with antibiotics to cure cases of
syphilis. Did you know the story broke in 1972, that a
class-action law suit was filed, but the case was settled
out-of-court? The untreated survivors and heirs of the deceased
persons with syphilis (numbering more than 400) were awarded $10
million. It breaks your heart to read the story and is a sad
commentary on what public health once let itself become.

Chapter 6 is another useful chapter to read if you are interested
in health status indicators. Chapter 4 and 5 also cover this
topic from the viewpoints of mortality and morbidity. Chapter
8 contains a well-crafted discussion of research methods
including, data gathering approaches, sampling, health survey
methodology, experimental design and so on. In Chapter 9,
several pages are given to the use of maps. Race and ethnicity,
education, occupation, family structure and genealogical
research, as well as other subjects are also examined in Chapter
9. Chapter 12 is titled, "Behavioral and Chronic Disease
Epidemiology". With the increase in numbers of elderly and with
our predeliction to contact lifestyle-induced chronic diseases,
this is also a chapter worthy of exploration. The Appendix
contains six case studies along with questions you to help you
examine possible solutions to the problems.

Don't take my word for it, take a look at the book. I can
practically guarantee that you'll want to keep it close at hand
when you're doing "quality filtering" for your client base,
especially when you're trying to cope with population-based
statistics. If you work with barely numerate students, I think
you will find yourself recommending this book. I have done so
with success.