MEDLIB-L February 1995, Week 1

Literature Searching (fwd)

Peg Allen <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Feb 1995 16:36:50 -0600

Following a very positive response from Leslie Nicoll, RN, the new editor
of Computers in Nursing and a frequent writer on literature searching in
the nursing press, I'm forwarding a contribution to the nursing
informatics list.  While we need to serve all health professionals, we
also need their support for institutional budgets - Peg

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 11:29:10 -0600 (CST)
From: Peg Allen <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Nursing informatics and nursing issues discussion list."
Subject: Literature Searching

Hello!  I'm a library and information outreach consultant with 25 years
experience in various settings, collaborating with nurses to solve
information problems.  This month I begin as the new Editor of
International Nursing Index, the print counterpart to the nursing
information in Medline.

Friends at AJN have forwarded several comments/questions about literature
searching from NRSING-L, so I decided to sign back on this list, "listen"
to your comments and concerns, and offer my 2 cents worth.  Please pardon
any duplication of others' comments, and the length of my comments.

First, I'm concerned that some of you feel that information should be
free.  Databases such as Medline, CINAHL, and RNdex are expensive to
produce, plus the search engines provided by the National Library of
Medicine (NLM), online (such as Dialog), and CD-ROM vendors such as
SilverPlatter and CD-Plus represent years of costly research and
development.  Grateful Med and other ways of directly accessing Medline
and other MEDLARS files at NLM are less costly because there is a federal
subsidy, and they cost more outside the U.S.  CINAHL is a commercial
product, and charges must recover costs of production and distribution by
CINAHL (the database), plus the electronic access mechanism, whether
online or CD search capabilities.  Some of you may be able to access
Medline and/or CINAHL via your institution's computer network because
your library (or library system) has chosen to license these databases -
the library is paying the fee based on variety of factors, which vary
considerably.  If you don't have access, you need to work with your local
library to see how you can collaborate to get it.

Fortunately, Grateful Med is available to anyone, and can be used
anywhere - even if you don't have a local library with nursing and
related biomedical resources.  Others have posted the basics. If you
still need information, call your Regional Medical Library at 1-800-338-RMLS.

Regarding Medline vs. CINAHL, both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Did you know that 9% of the journals in Medline are nursing titles,
although most are not in Index Medicus?  If you need information for
collaborative projects or anything clinical, you will miss a lot of the
biomedical literature if you don't search Medline.  If you need management
information for CQI, etc., you should search the Health Planning and
Administration database at NLM, produced in cooperation with AHA.  It
includes all management/policy type information from all Medline journal
indexing, plus articles from a wide variety of other journals, including
those in fields such as business, management, and health policy.

Problems related to searching "nursing" topics in Medline are largely due
to two factors:  lack of nursing terms in the MeSH thesaurus, and the
relative lack of abstracts in some nursing journals.  Without abstracts,
searches for new nursing concepts come up short when MeSH terminolgy is
not available.  At AJN, we hope to work with NLM to improve the nursing
terminology in MeSH.  You should know that the annual volume of
International Nursing Index has a thesaurus that augments MeSH, providing
usefull search hints and cross references.  For the 1994 volume, cross
references from British terms have been added.  Fred Pattison, who retired
January 31, has done an excellent job of updating this resource on an
annual basis.  Subscriptions and/or copies of just the nursing thesaurus
are available from the AJN Co.  As for abstracts, that has been up to the
authors and the journal publishers!  RNdex is a new nursing database which
adds abstracts when author ones are not available.  This is much more
costly to produce than a database where the added value beyond the
information available in the journal (bibliographic data and author
abstracts) is only indexing.  When I worked as an indexer for RNdex, we
were expected to index an average of three articles per hour, while
indexing articles and writing an abstract took me an average of 45
minutes.

While indexing and abstracting are not cheap, the costs of access can go
down as more professionals share the same databases.  While searching may
not be free, it's a lot less costly than creating your own databases!

Likewise, the expertise to search is a skill that a health sciences
librarian has developed via education at the master's level in library
and information science, plus ongoing continuing education activities.
Our professional organization, the Medical Library Association, certifies
those with the necessary education and experience.  Those of us electing
this certification must submit a portfolio of continuing education and
professional participation activities every five years.  So, don't search
in a vacuum if you can work with a local health sciences librarian. If
you're having problems, ask your librarian!  *And, please, collaborate
with them to plan and implement the information services you need.*
Access to knowledge based information is now a scored JCAHO expectation.

If you and/or your librarian have problems in finding information on a
topic using available thesaurus terms in MeSH, I'd *really* like to know
about it. The forum I moderate in AJN Network, Search Supports, was
planned to provide this type of assistance, especially to those in rural
areas without local professional information services.  In addition, we
need your "real world" questions to validate the need to improve the
usefulness of the nursing terminology in the MeSH (Medical Subject
Headings) used by Medline and other NLM databases.  You may send questions
to me at the address below or via the AJN Network Search Supports forum.
I can't do your searches, but will try to help you come up with a better
strategy.

I welcome your questions and concerns regarding the International Nursing
Index and nursing in Medline.  However, please note that the opinions
I've expressed are mine - I do not speak for the AJN Co.

ps: For information on how workstation access was received nurses in one
Canadian hospital, see Computers in Nursing, Jan/Feb 1995, pp. 25+  For
cost concerns, Academic Medicine, June 1993 - see summary in Search
Supports forum of AJN Network.

Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP
Editor, International Nursing Index and
Health Information Outreach Consultant
P.O. Box 2 Stratford, WI 54484-0002(rural Wisconsin, the heart of Dairyland)
715-687-4976 or 687-2287