]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  April 1995, Week 2

COMMUNET April 1995, Week 2

U. of South Carolina conf. on the Internet, libraries, community nets

Steve Cisler <[log in to unmask]>

Communet: Community and Civic Network Discussion List

Mon, 10 Apr 1995 03:11:10 -0700

Internet and community networking conference report April 7-8
Columbia, South Carolina

copyright 1995 Steve Cisler ([log in to unmask])
This document may be posted on other non-profit and educational
file servers, BBSes, gophers, or in printed format. Commercial online
providers and CD-ROM publishers may contact me for other arrangements.

Internet at the Crossroads, a two day conference that included a mix of
Internet, library, and community networking talks and demonstrations was
sponsored by the College of Library and Information Science at the U. of
South Carolina in Columbia. Professor Stephen Bajjaly and his staff planned
this as a regional Free-Net conference, but NPTN's plans changed. I'm glad
that I had the chance to attend and meet people from all over the South, as
well as a few people from Wyoming, Illinois, Indiana, and North Dakota
(Prairie Online in Fargo has one of the COOLEST business cards I have ever
seen: [log in to unmask]).

About 150 attended either one or both days to hear talks on business uses of
the Internet, government information networks, integrating the Internet
into academic library services, GIS for community decision making,
distance education, and Internet service provider options in South Carolina.

After opening the conference with a general talk on Internet trends, I
attended a panel discussion among librarians involved in community
networking in North and South Carolina. This included Don Beagle,
Charleston Co. Public Library, who is helping to set up COASTNET
with no budget or paid staff; Ben Breaseale, Midnet (Columbia and
surrounding counties); Pat Ryckman of the very active and successful
Charlotte's Web in Charlotte, NC; Dan Williams of Greenville (SC)
County P.L. and a recipient of an MCI Library link grant to run his
Major BBS for free access to library constituents.  Midnet, like many
of the others, has a goal of low common denominator service in order
to reach low end users without newer equipment, beginners, and people
without any computer at all. I met the woman (attending library school)
who has a laundromat where an access terminal will be installed so you
can surf the net while your socks dry. Ryckman described a housing
project where 98% of the kids are in single parent families, and they now
have access to an after-school center to learn and use Charlotte's Web.
Larry Irving of the NTIA had visited the center earlier that week and
was very enthusiastic about what they were doing, judging from what
he said at Net 95 in Washington (another conference I attended, sponsored
by EDUCOM and other orgs).  Kate Townsend, a research consultant from
Greenwood, SC, noted that in their town 60% of the population would not
be able to use it unless there was public access.

The major discussion points:
-How to keep local information fresh and inviting so that people keep
returning. Some felt local information was the draw; another said global
information was more attractive. As far as solving users' information
needs and everyday problems, local community information has to be
there for them to consider a local system as anything more than just
an entry point for the Internet.
-Sustainable funding: become  line item in local business and government
budgets.
-Competition with commercial firms. Three Internet service providers
attended, and some felt like the Free-Nets were taking their business,
but as the conference proceeded and issues were discussed in the halls,
over drinks in the Capstone Building with a revolving reception area
overlooking the midlands of South Carolina, and in conference sessions,
it was clear that there could be a symbiotic relationship between the
two types of organizations. The community system handles everyone,
and many times does the training for people who will move into the
market for a computer or for more sophisticated services such as SLIP
or ISDN.  The ISP might also, as in the case of World of Difference in
Charleston (or NYSERNet in New York), serve local information for
groups that don't want to maintain their own servers and modem pools
and terminal servers.

The horror story I heard was about a city electrician who wanted to
check an electric plug and _unplugged_ the whole library automation
system and the Sun workstation running the community network from
the UPS (uninterruptable power supply)!!! Lost data, long down time,
and a very angry systems manager and user community!

At lunch Kevin Joseph, a staffer for Sen. Hollings (D-SC) did a great job
of trying to explain the complexities of the telecom deregulation bill
and the Exon amendment. The industry panel that followed included
Bell South, Cablevision Industries, Les Dickert of Sun Belt Net, an
Internet Service Provider owned by a small independent telco who was
bringing IP services to very rural areas and was making deals with other
small telcos to extend service rapidly and cheaply, and Southern Bell.
What was striking was the lack of experience that the telco and cable
reps had with the Internet. One librarian invited them (politely) to a
training class, and the questions from the audience were ways to
educate the panelists about the real needs of customers who may not
survive just on home shopping, networks of psychics and Sharon Stone
on demand. Dickert's comments gave me hope that rural access rates
may not be that much more than what urban network users enjoy. His
company provides the IP experience and equipment for other rural telcos.

There were other NTIA TIIAP grant recipients including  APPNET, a
project included in a planning grant for a consortium in the Greeenville,
Spartenburg, Anderson area. Several libraries are key players, and the
system manager gave a good rundown on how they planned to use
BellSouth's Connectionless Data Service, an SMDS service, to connect
a growing number of government entities, many of whom still do not have
network connections but have agreed to pay into the consortium. This is a
good example of how the NTIA money serves as yeast for something that
may continue long after the grant money runs out.

Professor Dan Barron had a session that I found to be invigorating, partly
because of his own style of inquiry, re-directing the audience's own
search for knowledge (about how to measure success of a community
network) rather than just presenting his own ideas. By the end of the
hour, we had a list of all sorts of measurements for success. Indeed,
Barron said that no one answer would suffice; a portfolio was needed.
He is working on a paper on this topic, and I expect he will post a pointer
to the draft (or the final product) in the coming months.

There were straightforward 'how we are doing it' talks from Dennis Hoops
of NPTN which also included how you can do it (get the turnkey suite of
services, hardware and software being vetted by NPTN) and a rundown
of systems from South Florida (SEFLIN) to San Francisco (Ken Dowlin and
S.F. Public Library). Dowlin gave the Saturday morning keynote, having
recovered from jet lag and a week in Singapore where the government is
planning an aggressive library plan to go along with its drive to become
an Asian or even international financial and telecomms hub.

There were many other tracks that I did not attend, but talking with
information providers,librarians, as well as students in U.S.C. library
school leads me to the conclusion that many more libraries will be
involved in community networking as yet another service needed by
their users.

Bajjaly is planning a future conference that may use satellite with
downlinks in many states, aimed at more than the SE region. For
the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida, he has started a focused listserv,
so contact him for more information about this if you are involved in
a community system in that area.

After the conference ended, I had a long evening to wander around. The
hotel was a few blocks from the new (1993) Richland County Public
Library, a gorgeous, glassy, 4 floor monument to comfortable access,
beautiful interior design (REAL palm trees in the children's area),
and a fine traditional collection (books, videos, and audio). There was
also a 'writing center' with some electronic typewriters in it, but the
only room I didn't see (and it's clear that one could be converted for
the purpose just as Flint Public Library has done) was one for network
and computer training. The public needs it, and most staff people do.
So if you are planning a new library, try to include that in the bedrock
functions. Come to think of it, do the same for a community center or
special library. It's going to be critical and ongoing, no matter how
easy the software is supposed to become over the next few years.

Steve Cisler