LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  April 1995, Week 4

COMMUNET April 1995, Week 4

Notes from National Net '95 conference

Judy Hallman <[log in to unmask]>

Communet: Community and Civic Network Discussion List

Mon, 24 Apr 1995 11:08:46 -0400

To communet list:

I attended the National Net '95 conference in Washington, DC,
April 5-7. I was impressed with the quality -- good topics, good
speakers, and good balance (most panels had speakers representing
education, government, and business). I learned more than I
thought I would. I jotted down some notes and am passing them on
for what they're worth.

Keynotes: Reaching Underserved Communities on the NII
Molly Broad (California State Univ.) suggested that the gap may be
more than economic -- it may be psychological or cultural. She
also pointed out the rapid rate that information is expanding and
jobs are changing.

Larry Irving (NTIA, Department of Commerce) gave a very
informative presentation, stressing the importance of outreach. He
quoted from a speech Pres. Johnson gave in 1967 on the value of
public broadcasting that applies equally well today. He also made
me proud of the work being done in North Carolina. He mentioned a
medical project connecting rural areas of NC with UNC-Chapel Hill,
and he described Charlotte's Web, a Free-Net project. Charlotte's
Web is capturing the interest of children who are able to explore
the Internet after school.

Ron James (US West Communications) stressed the need to teach the
teachers. Teachers who get connected to the Internet say "OK, I'm hooked
up. Now where is all the stuff?" or "Show me how to drive this thing."
People tend to think computers are for typing papers and balancing budgets
and don't know how to use them to find information or communicate with
others. He suggested that universities help with the teaching, and he
suggested teaming the at risk with the gifted. Open doors to
collaborations. Develop new tool kits. Reach new heights by reaching
everyone. Technology is expanding faster than permission;  US West is
running trials of media and phone in the UK because they can do it there.

Reaching Underserved Communities
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Laura Breeden (NTIA, Department of Commerce) pointed out that in
1983 the havenots were the people who did not have defense
contracts and couldn't get on Arpanet.

Steve Cisler (Apple Computer) said that the problem is not the
lack of pipe or money -- it's lack of people -- personnel time.

Andrew Blau (Benton Foundation) asked "Is it [Internet] useful on
arrival?" He says the access problem is in cities; it's not just a
rural problem. There are lots of people in cities who don't have
telephone service. We need to talk about universal service, as
opposed to universal technology.

During the discussion:
Consumers of services should also be providers; every client a server; all
have something to say. Ask "What does the consumer want?" not "What can
technology bring?"

Parallel sessions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) Connecting Indian Communities
(2) Wiring the Inner Cities
(3) Reaching the Black Communities
(4) Reaching Rural America

I went to the one on reaching black communities.

Roy Beasley (Howard University) provided copies of his paper
"Internet Servers at Historically Black Colleges and
Universities."

James Harrington (Minority Universities Space Interdisciplinary
Network, NASA) described NASA's Institutional Research Award
Program and provided copies of "A Cooperative Agreement Notice."
Proposals are due May 9. 1995.

Tepper Gill (Computation Science and Engineering Research Center,
Howard University) described how he got involved in supercomputing
research and facilities at Howard University.

Mom and Pop on the Internet -- Network Challenges for Business
There's a lot more happening here than I imagined. Very
interesting.

Marty Tennenbaum (EIT/CommerceNet) described CommerceNet
(http://www.commerce.net); business to business sales; the ability
to pay over the Internet (security/encryption); the ability to
sign agreements; authentication is coming soon.

John Patrick (IBM) suggested we will have the ability to subscribe
to applications; he talked about the ability to track Federal
Express orders; cross-border shopping; using e-mail to communicate
with customers; using the Internet to solicit ideas about
services; every company should have an info id for e-mail (like
[log in to unmask]); credit cards will be more secure -- the card number
will go directly to the bank, the merchant will receive
verification.

Steve Laufmann (US West) talked about the need for "service
finders," ratings and referrals, tracking, billing and payment
services, comparitive shopping; the open market place; convenience
of e-mail for the business, but warned about customer reaction
(importance of availability). He said that the Internet will level
small business with big business -- their availability on the
Internet  is the same.

IBM is selling products now on the Internet. Standards
are coming together. Support for security will be in all browsers.
The value of video in catalogs (how this thing works), was
mentioned. Question: "Can you hide money?" I think the answer was
"Not any more than you can now."

I have very few notes from the sessions the next morning. The
sessions were:

Redefining Fair Use for the Information Age
Steve Haynes, West Publishing Company
Chris Meyer, US Patents & Trademarks
Donna Demac, Institutute for Learning Technologies, Teachers
College, Columbia University
Peter Lyman, University of California-Berkley

Parallel sessions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1)Information Infrastructure Advisory Council Update
(2) Legislative Update -- I attended this one
(3) BNS Technology and High-Speed Application Consideration
(4) Regulatory Update

Surveillance on the Net -- What's Right?
Robert Gellman, Privacy and Information Policy Consultant
Don Haines, Legislative Counsel, ACLU
Lance Hoffman, Institute for Computer and Telecommunications
Systems Policy, George Washington University
Brock Meeks, Cyberwire Dispatch, Wired Magazine
Marc Rotenberg, EPIC

Donna Demac strongly recommended that we obtain a copy of The
Copyright Law, Title 17, and she had a handout on how to get it.
Cost: $4.75.
Superintendent of Documents
PO Box 371954
Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7954
Request stock number 030-002-00182-9
GPO Order Desk Telephone: (202) 512-1800

I just ordered a copy.

Judy Hallman ([log in to unmask])
Campus-Wide Information Systems Manager, UNC-Chapel Hill