]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  July 1995

SKIVT-L July 1995

*m* The Colorado Skier - Trivia #18 - 6 July '95 *m*

[log in to unmask] (Mark Wallace)

Thu, 6 Jul 1995 13:11:37 -0600 (MDT)

Following is an article I'm posting/mailing which was written
by a friend of mine who's hobby is ski area trivia.  The main
motivation for these postings is feedback, so if there is
anything you can add or respond to please do.  I'll pass along
any feedback you may have, but don't question this
information without consideration, I've seen some of his
resources.

Mark Wallace, Castle Rock, CO

Greetings from THE COLORADO SKIER

This is part of a series on Skiing and Ski Area TRIVIA.  It is posted
separately from our companion series on  "LOST SKI AREAS",  "THE
COLORADO SKIER - SKI NEWS", and  "TCS LISTS".  Check 'em out.

             THE COLORADO SKIER TRIVIA - EDITION #18

EDITOR'S REMARKS:

    A. Once again, right up front, we want to thank three more folks
    who sent us care packages:  JC (FL),  ROBERT (IN), and AUSTIN
    (TX).  Robert supplied our first map from a ski area in Indiana
    (SKI WORLD) and Austin supplied the first from an area in North
    Carolina (CATALOOCHEE).  Among many other items JC provided a
    neat, old, brochure from the LANSING SKI CLUB, circa 1960.  JC and
    I are both from Lansing, MI - altho he tries to pretend that we
    are a generation apart in age.  He claims that his Mother went to
    high school with our (much older) Sister and that his Uncle went
    to MSU when we did.  We are 39 years old.  That's our story and
    we're sticking to it!

    B. Some of you long time readers may remember references to our
    crack field agents Boris and Natasha, and other references to
    "Rocky and His Friends" in past issues.  Surprise!  Check out new
    trivia question #1 (thanks to PAUL T).

    C. We are in the midst of sending personal thank you notes to
    folks  who sent trail maps but haven't gotten to everyone.  Talk
    to you soon.

    D. Some of the data in this post was obtained from "THE WHITE BOOK
    OF SKI AREAS", which is copyrighted by Inter-Ski Services, Inc.

1.  *** NEW *** TRIVIA QUESTIONS

 a.  At which SKI AREAS are the following ski trails located?

          1)  Rocky's Run, Bullwinkle, Boris Badenov,
          Natasha's Niche, Peabody's Pass, Dudley-Do-Right, Snidley
          Whiplash

          2)  Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Rocky Raccoon,
          Revolution, Help, Long Winding Road

 b. Probably all of you have ridden one or more of the 30 or so
    "Alpine Slides" in the U.S.  They are built at ski areas because
    chairlifts are needed to transport riders and sleds to the top of
    the slide.  Trivia Question:  WHERE are there Alpine Slides NOT
    located at ski areas?

 c. What is the NAME and location of the farthest NORTH alpine
    ski area in North America?

 d. WHERE are these runs located and WHOM were they named after:

     TIPPECANOE and TYLER, TOO          DAVE'S
     PAULIE'S FOLLY                     DISNEY NOSE

 e. Remember the list of ski areas which share the same ridge?
    DAVID (NY) suggests the ultimate ridge:  Name all the SKI AREAS
    on the CONTINENTAL DIVIDE (past or present).  To prevent nit-
    picking we will count any area within one mile of the Divide.
    Hint:  Two areas have appropriate names.

   BONUS ONE:  (open question)  Name all the ski areas where the base
   lodge and parking are at the top of the mountain rather than at the
   bottom.

   SUMMER BONUS:  There are large BUSCH GARDENS amusement parks in
   Virginia and Florida.  There used to be another Busch Gardens,
   located in a major tourist area, but now deceased.  WHERE?

   SPORTS BONUS:  You probably noted that the French Open tennis
   tournament was played at "Stade Roland Garros".  Who was ROLAND
   GARROS and what was his contribution to the world of trivia?

2.  TRIVIA 17 ANSWERS

 a.  At which WINTER OLYMPICS was the "bobsled" NOT contested?

 ANSWER:  The 4-man bobsled was contested at EVERY Winter Olympics
   except the 1960 event at Squaw Valley, CA.  Only 9 countries signed
   up and Cushing couldn't afford to build a track.  BTW, the same
   thing would have happened at the 1976 Denver Olympics.  The DOOC
   wanted to hold the bobsleigh event at Lake Placid but the IOC said
   no and the event was canceled.   [Instant Trivia:  Janket
   Kunczynski (YAN chairs) is the son-in-law of Alex Cushing]

 GUESSES:  Only PAUL (MN) and MICHAEL (UT) knew this one.

 b.  At which SKI AREA(s) are the following trails:

     1)  High Noon, One O'clock, Two O'clock, Three O'clock, Rolex
     2)  Cyclone, Hurricane, Tornado, Twister, Typhoon

   ANSWER:  Both sets of trails are at STEAMBOAT, CO.  DAVID (NY)
   points out that the first set (along with Daybreak and Twilight) is
   on "Sunshine Peak" and the 2nd set is, of course, on "Storm Peak".

   GUESSES:  Rick, Bill (CA), Judith, Curtis, and David knew the
   answer.  Paul (MN), Jim B, and John K knew the "Sunshine Peak"
   half.

   Note:  CURTIS (MD) questioned "Typhoon".  That trail was just
   added in 1994.  It is a short gladed run between Cyclone and
   Tornado.

 c.  Where does the name "POMA" come from?

   ANSWER:  The French ski lift company was named after its founder,
   "JEAN POMAGALSKI"

   GUESSES:  There were lots of really bad guesses.  Preventing a
   shutout, JACK (Anacortes, WA) offered the name "JAN Pomagalski".

 d.  WHERE are these trails and WHOM were they named after?

   "The Skipper":  VAIL, CO  -  Named (nickname) after the founder of
   THE VAIL TRAIL (local weekly newspaper), George Knox, Sr.

   "Terry's Trail":  WATERVILLE VALLEY, NH  -  Named after Terry
   Palmer, former member of the U.S. Alpine Ski Team.

   "Maxie's":  TAOS, NM  -  Named after Maxie Anderson, member of the
   first balloon crew to successfully cross the Atlantic Ocean.

   "Peggy Dow's Hymnbook":  BOLTON VALLEY, VT  -  Named after the wife
   of an early area pastor named Lorenzo Dow.  Note:  Some later trail
   maps, to save space, call the trail just "Peggy Dow", but all of
   our 60's, 70's, and early 80's maps show "Hymnbook".

   GUESSES:  Another pathetic showing!  BENJIE (CA) and LOIS (who
   patrols there) knew the Bolton Valley trail.  That's it.  GLENN
   (Troy, NY) provided some strange answers starting with The Skipper
   from Gilligan's Island and it went downhill from there.

 e.  WHERE and WHEN was the first COVERED CHAIRLIFT?

   ANSWER:  The first one in Colorado was at COPPER MOUNTAIN, in 1972.
   However, MT. SNOW, VT had a covered chairlift as early as 1957.

   GUESSES:  Rick (CO) offered Copper;  Glenn knew Mt. Snow;  and
   folks mentioned other early covered lifts at Boyne Highlands, MI
   and Mont St. Anne, PQ.  We expected Bill Hery to mention courting
   his future wife within the enclosed confines at Mt. Snow but
   apparently those stories would have been R-rated.

   BONUS ONE:  (Open Question)  NAME any SKI LIFT/SKI AREA where the
   lift can be ridden in BOTH DIRECTIONS for the purpose of gaining
   elevation for skiing.  Access lifts (such as at Loveland and Sugar
   Bowl) don't count.  We know of one such ski lift in CO, two in CA,
   and SCOTT (CO), who suggested the question, knows of two in WA.

   ANSWER:  The #6 lift on Golden Peak at VAIL can be ridden up the
   front side or up the back side from chair 10.  It's profile is an
   inverted Vee.  At HEAVENLY VALLEY, the Waterfall/Patsy's and Powder
   Bowl/Groove chairs have extensions serving bunny hills.  The
   profile is a Vee.   The ones in Washington are at HYAK (?) and
   STEVENS PASS (Southern Cross).  Scott (CO) suggests Gondola 2 at
   KEYSTONE.  Technically you could ride it in either direction and
   then "ski down" but in one direction it would be losing elevation
   so we don't think it qualifies.  It is really an access lift.  Two
   folks suggested a lift at MT BRIGHTON, MI.  Jan-Erik mentioned MT
   BAKER (C-3 chair, inverted Vee) and the Weasel chair at Alpine
   Meadows.  JC offered a defunct lift at The Lansing Ski Club.  John
   (Montreal) suggested a T-bar at FORTRESS MTN, AB.  JIM B likes DEER
   VALLEY ("Clipper" chair?).

   GUESSES:  Besides the contributions mentioned above, 5 folks
   correctly guessed Chair 6 at VAIL.  Jonathan offered the "Lookout"
   chair at SUN VALLEY.  Altho it can be ridden in both directions, it
   only rises in one.  Curtis suggested the new access chair in Jordan
   Bowl at SUNDAY RIVER.  Same answer.  (Wasn't someone going to send
   us an SR trail map?)

   BONUS TWO:  (Open Question)  Which ski areas (if any) have ski runs
   on (snow-covered) PAVED roads?

   ANSWER/GUESSES:  Tom Moore suggested this question by mentioning MT
   WACHUSETT, MA.  The run is "Mass Pike"?  Dave (NY) seconded.
o "Toll Road" at STOWE.  Four folks guessed this one.  Our guide
   book says that it isn't paved, but hey, who cares.
o "Toll Road" at BURKE MTN, VT.  4 folks named this one.  We don't
   know if it is paved.
o  JMK (CT) remembers a mountain road at OKEMO.
o  One summer we noticed a chairlift rising out of a paved parking
   lot at MAMMOTH.  We wondered how the skiers got back to the chair.
   DAN says the pavement is snow covered in winter and is actually the
   road to Minaret Summit - closed in winter.

3. TRIVIA FOLLOW-UP

 a.  SNEAKY TRIVIA Answer (What was the planned name for Vermont):
   When the "New Hampshire Grants" decided to become a state (well
   after the original 13), Ethan Allen picked the name "New
   Connecticut".     FWIW, CT has 12 towns starting with the word
   "NEW", 4 with "OLD", and 99 starting with North, East, West, or
   South.  Just thought you'd want to know.

 b.  OK, last time for CAPTAIN MARVEL.  His alter ego was "Billy
   Batson", orphan newsboy.  At a flea market we asked a comic book
   seller if he had any Captain Marvel comic books.  He replied that
   he didn't carry anything THAT OLD.  No wonder you guys don't know
   this stuff.

 c.  DAVID (NY) wondered if there is any ski area which DOESN'T give
   fancy names to their HS Quads (e.g., "Kick-Ass Express").  Good
   question.  The only area we can think of is MAMMOTH MTN (CA) which
   NUMBERS all of their lifts (no names) and does have 2 HS quads.
   Others?

 d.  SNAVELY (COS) observed that OKEMO (VT) has 8 chairlifts and
   none is a Double!  SNEAKY TRIVIA (open question):  Are there any
   other ski areas with a least 5 chairs and no doubles?

 e.  MARK (CO) asked about a KEYSTONE (CO) chairlift accident.  It
   happened during the 85-86 season on the YAN-built "Teller" triple
   chair which returns skiers from North Peak.  All YAN chair are
   "bull-wheel loading" types with overhead motors and bull wheels
   (look up if you dare!).  One of the two bull wheels fell off its
   axle.  It didn't hit anyone but the subsequent vibration in the
   cable knocked several folks from chairs and one was killed.

   The chair was rebuilt (presumably free by YAN) and was renamed
   "Ruby".  Keystone has never installed another YAN chair and, in
   fact, in 1986 tore down their 2 year old YAN gondola and replaced
   it with a VON ROLL.

   subject a few years back (but could repeat some day).  We can say
   that cables "never" break (2 cases) but chairs and gondola cars do
   fall.   [Remind us to discuss "cable-splicing" some time.]

 f.  Where does the word "trivia" come from?  Back when all roads
   lead to Rome, there was one place where two roads joined to make a
   third road in a "Y" configuration.  Folks used to leave messages on
   the rocks at the intersection for their friends and relatives like:
   "We plan to catch the Lions at the Coliseum - if you miss us there,
   we are staying at Caesar's Palace".  or:  "Meet us for dinner at
   VII PM at the Roman Villa."

   Since three roads came together there, this location became known
   as "tri via" ("three roads") and the notes became the "messages at
   tri via" or eventually just "trivia".  (Isn't this fun?)

4.  LOST SKI AREA FOLLOW-UP

 We have mentioned several times how much fun it is to do these
 newsletters, mainly due to the feedback from you loyal readers.  One
 of the few disappointments, however, is the realization that not all
 of you get to read every issue.  We know this because of the requests
 for trivia which we have already covered, and the offer of "lost" ski
 areas already covered in previous issues.

 For the record, concerning lost NH ski areas:  MITTERSILL was covered
 in Lost 15 (5/94), MOOSE MTN and SNOW CREST were covered in Lost 16
 (8/94), and MT WHITTIER was covered in Lost 17 (1/95).  We have not
 covered WHALEBACK because we believe it to still be open.

 a.  Follow-up on INTERVALE (NH):  It was located east of the town of
   Lower Bartlett, 3 miles north of where "Intervale" appears on maps.

 b.  MATT (MI) wondered how many lost ski areas in Michigan.  Our
   current count is "71 and climbing" which is among the top 5 for all
   states.  Matt also asked about a specific ski area near Fenton, MI.
   That would be KANDAHAR SKI CLUB (private) which operated in the
   late 70's.  260 ft vertical, 1 T-bar, 8 rope tows

 c.  NEBRASKI, NE  -  TOPE (IL) asked about this "lost" area.  Opened
   in 1980 as TRAIL RIDGE, in Gretna, NE, about 30 miles SW of Omaha.
   Changed to the current cornball name in 1991.  Vertical Drop 200
   ft.  1 double chair, 4 surface lifts.  Still open.   [Note to you
   Easterners without a clue:  Omaha is a major city in Nebraska,
   roughly halfway between Chicago and Denver.  Nebraska?  That's a
   state .....   Dumb Trivia:  Who can name anything that Omaha is
   famous for?

5A.  SKI AREA NEWS  -  CURRENT

 Colorado ski areas had their 3rd best year in history in terms of
 Skier Days - Down 1.26% from last season.

 It was a good Spring snow year in the West and lousy in the East.
 Six Western ski areas stayed open until July Fourth, including MT
 BACHELOR, ALPINE MEADOWS, and MAMMOTH.  As we write, TIMBERLINE and A-
 BASIN are STILL open daily and SQUAW VALLEY is open on weekends.
 This is a record year which will exceed the 1993 season when 4 areas
 stayed open till July Fourth plus TIMBERLINE which stayed open
 through Labor Day.

 In the East, SUNDAY RIVER packed it in early.  KILLINGTON made it to
 4 June (with only one lift and one run) and only got around to
 reporting "some walking", but not "thin and bare spots".  (Not sure
 why they bother).

 A-BASIN, CO has broken their previous latest close of 4 July.  Thru
 15 June they had top to bottom skiing, 4 of 5 lifts running, and had
 ALL 65 trails open.  Impressive!  Currently it is a 33 inch midway
 base, 50% of trails open, and 2 or 3 lifts depending on need.

 ASPEN MTN re-opened for the Memorial Day weekend and was open
 weekends thru June.

5B.  SKI AREA NEWS  -  FUTURE

    a. VAIL  -  The new so-called CAT III back bowl expansion at VAIL
    is still a few years off.  This season Vail will be converting
    Chair 3 (Hunky Dory) from a fixed grip quad to a detachable quad.

    b. BEAVER CREEK  -  The plan to connect ARROWHEAD with BEAVER
    CREEK is also a year or two away.  This year a new chairlift will
    be built in the Bachelor Creek region, between the two areas.  It
    is mostly being built to serve condos.

    c. BRECKENRIDGE  -  Plans a new chair and small base area at the
    bottom of 4 O'clock run to serve condos.  Won't happen in 95.
    Long range they are looking at running a gondola from town to the
    Peak 8 base.  Both of these are "parking problem" solutions.

    d. STEAMBOAT  -  Announced "non-plans".  They were hit by the lack
    of airline commuter service and a less than average snow year.

    e. COPPER MTN  -  Last year Copper replaced two double chairs with
    a HS Quad and promised that they would install the two chairs in
    "Copper Bowl" (new terrain) for the 95/96 season.  Due to a so-so
    season they are now thinking of postponing.

    f. Aspen Ski Corp pulled its 4 ski areas out of Colorado Ski
    Country USA, the Colorado marketing and snow reporting group.
    Sad.  Also they withdrew from World Cup Ski Racing, canceling the
    famous "America's Downhill" race.  (VAIL immediately applied for
    and won the downhill.  There will be six (6) men's and women's
    World Cup races at Vail this season.)

    g. BIG SKY, MT  -  A new reader (RANDY, IL) reports plans for a 15
    passenger Doppelmayr tram to the top of the mountain and BIG SKY
    claims it will give them the most vertical drop and ski acreage in
    the U.S.  IF the tram goes to the very tippy top, the new vertical
    will be 4196 feet which would beat JACKSON HOLE by 57 feet.  Their
    current size is 2500 acres.  With just the one new lift on top we
    don't see them adding enough acreage to come even close to the
    size of VAIL, SQUAW VALLEY, or HEAVENLY VALLEY.

    h. MAD RIVER GLEN  -  The sale is proceeding.  Is supposed to be
    consummated in the Fall.

    i. SUNDAY RIVER  -  Has announced plans to add another chair and
    trails in what they call the "OZ" area between Aurora and Jordan.

    j. BURKE MOUNTAIN, VT  -  Is for sale.  Rumor says they are
    selling off property to pay taxes.

    k. KING RIDGE, NH  -  The current operator has turned the area
    over to the lenders.  They were marginally successful until this
    last lousy snow season.  They gave up early so that the bank would
    have time to find another operator.  One reader heard the terrain
    was going condo but that's probably just a rumor based on the
    financial failure.

    l. MT. CRANMORE, NH  -  The owner of SUNDAY RIVER, et al, is in
    the process of buying the venerable North Conway ski area.

    m. NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS, PA  -  CURTIS (MD) says that this classy
    golf resort (near Uniontown, PA) will be adding ski slopes in
    1996.  (How does that strange name relate to the "Nemacolin
    Castle" tourist attraction farther west on US 40?

   Note:  Feel free to submit your inside skinny on what's new at your
   local ski area.  We would ask one favor.  If you can, try to
   qualify the accuracy of your source.  In early summer lots of plans
   are announced that are not implemented.  A few years ago CRESTED
   BUTTE announced a new quad and built a hotel instead.  Last year
   LOON announced a new chair and some new runs and did nothing,
   noting later that these were "long range" plans.  Thx.

6.  BUILDERS EMPORIUM

 Here is some news on various people lifts:

  a.  DENVER  -  There is a "gondola" at the "new" (re-located) ELITCH
  GARDENS amusement park in downtown Denver.  This is really a
  horizontal chairlift, with unique molded plastic 2 passenger chairs
  with parasol tops.

  b.  KEYSTONE, SD  -  Has a chairlift with views of Mt Rushmore.  It
  would appear from pictures that a few chairs are attached close
  together fixed grip style.  This may mean a slow boarding or full
  stop multiple chair boarding system but probably doesn't mean a
  classic "to and fro" tram type action as that would mean the chairs
  would have to travel backward.  Anyone seen this one?

  c.  SCOTT (GA)  reports that the RACCOON MOUNTAIN Campground
  (Chattanooga, TN) has an old single car tram, no longer in use.  It
  was originally built (by U.S. Steel) to service a Government
  facility on a nearby hill, then used from 1960 to 1984 to transport
  folks to the top of Mt. Aetna to a hang-gliding facility.  We note
  that the guide books still talk about the hang-gliding facility.

  d.  DOUG (CA)  saw a "people mover" at MAMMOTH.  It was labeled YAN
  and was meant to transfer skiers between the various base areas -
  and eventually to town (Mammoth Lakes).  First we've heard of this
  one.  One of the late spring snow reports said "the people mover is
  now closed".   Separately, Doug also questioned whether KRATKA RIDGE
  has electricity.  Well, the lifts may be diesel powered, but the
  area has a restaurant which requires electricity for refrigeration,
  lights, designer coffee makers, incense burners, etc.

  e. Sometimes when we receive unsolicited news items we don't print
  them until we can confirm them from another source.  Two years ago
  when we were doing stuff on mountain railways and funiculars someone
  (?) mentioned a funicular near Altoona, PA.  It wasn't listed in our
  AAA guides.  Finally we read about it in a recent issue of "TRAINS"
  magazine (yes we do have other hobbies).  At the famous "Horseshoe
  Curve" west of Altoona there is a museum and view point and the
  funicular travels between them.  Thanks to whomever.

  f.  EL PASO, TX  -  Older maps show a sightseeing tram on Ranger
  Peak to the north of town.  It has disappeared from recent maps.

  g.  BENJIE (CA) asked about the "Castlerock" chairlift at SUGARBUSH.
  He says it looked unique.  Had the motor above, in a little shack
  with gingerbread.  We never saw it.  Anyone?

  h.  CAIRNGORM (Scotland) - NATHAN (Scotland) reports that the "skis
  off, sideways sitting" chairlift still operates.  The area is
  thinking of replacing it with a funicular.

7.  POTPOURRI

   WHAT'S IN A NAME  -  Recent Discoveries from random research

  a.  One of the major California ski areas is located in a town once
  called "BIJOU".  Sneaky Trivia:  "Which SKI AREA and what is the
  TOWN called now?"

  b.  A possible "lost" Canada ski area is just outside the city of
  FORT WILLIAM (pop. 45,000) which is next to the city of PORT ARTHUR
  (pop. 45,000).  Much to our surprise neither of these cities appears
  on current maps.  SNEAKY TRIVIA:  What happened to them?  (Note:
  The words avalanche, fire, flood, famine, war, and pestilence do not
  figure in the answer.)

  c.  We had always thought that "HOGADON" (ski area in Casper, WY)
  was an Indian name.  Turns out that "John C Hogadon" was an early
  1900's miner who built the first highway up Casper Mtn to reach his
  claim. When the townsfolk built the ski area, they named it after
  him.

  d.  MT HOOD names - Early settlers traveling the Oregon Trail
  discovered that the prices for traveling by boat or toll road along
  the Columbia River were exorbitantly high.  Around 1845, Samuel K.
  Barlow built a road to the south of Mt Hood, providing a shorter and
  cheaper route to the Willamette Valley.  The road was a success
  (summer only) and later David R. COOPER, sensing an interest by
  folks in seeing the snow and glaciers up on the Mtn, built a side
  road up the northeast flank.  It became known as "Cooper's Spur".
  There is a ski area there now known as "COOPER SPUR".

  There are 10 major glaciers on Mt Hood.  The one best known by
  skiers is "Palmer Glacier", at the top of TIMBERLINE.  For years it
  was thought of as a snow field until, in 1924, a mild winter and
  warm summer revealed the glacier characteristics such as crevasses.
  The Mt. Hood glaciers are receding at about 15 feet a year which
  "should" mean the end of Palmer Glacier and summer skiing in about
  300 years.(!)  However, measurements have shown that Palmer is NOT
  receding and that's why it is generally referred to as a permanent
  snow field, not a glacier.  It was named for Joel PALMER who worked
  for road builder Barlow.  Just remember the next time you ski
  TIMBERLINE in late summer - There are crevasses!

  e.  PUZZLE - What do the following items have in common:  Baretta's
  cockatoo, Inventor of the J-bar, Roseanne's brother-in-law, ski run
  at Sandia Peak where skier died after colliding with snowboarder,
  cheap soft drink in the Pepsi "Field of Dreams" commercial.

  f.  LIVE FREE AND PUKE  -  We assume that many of you were in
  attendance at Claremont, NH for the public forum featuring "Slick"
  and the "Newt-Man".  All politics aside, did you check out ARROWHEAD
  SKIWAY?  We have it dying in 1990 but one loyal reader says it looks
  freshly painted to him.  ???

  g.  REMEMBER TELEPHONES?  -  We had a nice telephonic conversation
  with loyal reader JOHN K (MN) on 7/3.  He was staging thru COS on
  the way to/from his base camp in Salida.  There, he spent a day
  white water rafting on the Arkansas River (big water this year) and
  3 days mountain biking.  We had hoped to slam a few Silver Bullets
  but it didn't work out.  John is the first loyal reader (other than
  relatives) we have talked to.

8.  FROM THE MAILBAG

  a. Someone asked if we could repeat the entire list of lost NH ski
  areas.  Perhaps.  Not with all data, it would take several pages.
  But maybe just the area name and city - we will have to look at the
  logistics.

  b. VICKIE (OR) asked about an out of the way ski area southwest of
  Denver.  Based on the data provided, it would be GENEVA BASIN, which
  closed in 1984.  Vertical Drop of 1250 ft.  2 chairs, 2 Pomas.

  c. DUNCAN (Perth) [our first writer from Western Australia]  heard
  that Saudan didn't mind his name being used for a trail name at
  BLACKCOMB - if he got paid for that privilege.

  d. Besides "bagging" new ski areas, JIM (MD) wonders if others try
  to "notch" each and EVERY ski trail at an area.  He tries to, as
  long as the trail names don't include the words:  "chute",
  "couloir", "death", or "devil"(!).  Sounds like a plan.  We
  personally have never tried to ski all trails (got to rethink that)
  but we do try to never repeat a run on a given day.

  e. CURTIS (MD) wonders if the (summer only) 2 passenger gondola at
  LAKE LOUISE, AB still exists.  Yes.  It starts well below the main
  parking lot and ends at the Whitehorn Lodge on the mountain.  It
  crosses few ski trails so from a distance, without gondola cars,
  probably looks like a power line.

  f. We kidded about the "Swaboda" tram at Jackson Hole and wondered
  if he played 3rd base for the Mets.  BRUCE (where is my SR trail
  map?) says Ron Swoboda was just a DH, not good enough to play
  infield.  RICK says Ron was a pitcher when he (Rick) "managed"
  against him in HS in Maryland.  "Team Manager" in HS?  Isn't that
  where the debate team nerd is used as a water boy and "gopher"?

9.  ALL MODESTY ASIDE

 We color highlight (in green) the compliments that the newsletter
 receives.  Scanning the list recently we noted one phrase which
 dominates:  "Keep Up The Good Work".   We like that one for three
 reasons:  1)  You want us to Continue - and we shall.   2)  You call
 it "Work".  It is work but it is our major hobby and it is a labor of
 love.   3)  You consider it "Good".  Thank you.   Here are three
 other compliments that caught our eye recently:

 a.  "I just wanted to say that I have found your posts to be well
 written, extremely accurate, and quite fun to read.  My wife
 agrees."  Ron & Alecia, Chicago.  (Do these two really agree?)

 b.  "Please add me to the mailing list for this most excellent,
 entertaining, well researched and wonderful creation."  This came
 from "Skip" at SUNDAY RIVER, ME.  Skip works in communications at SR
 (you know, he puts up the "Lot Full" signs)  Apparently Skip was not
 a reader when we trashed the SR recorded snow report!  (or he has a
 good sense of humor)

 c.  One writer, also in the ski industry, used a quote: "Genius is
 an infinite capacity for taking pains."  Wow!  BTW, he was referring
 to the lost ski area research, not the newsletter.  Well, if taking
 pains, and having a passion for your subject, leads to quality work,
 we plead guilty.

     Thank you all for the kind words - it keeps us going.

10.  EPILOG

 a. Please provide your city name (and your own name) when FIRST
    writing to TCS.  (New informal rule - specific questions will be
    answered only from folks with identifiable names and towns.)

 b. If you would like to receive your own personal E-mail copy of TCS
    newsletters, just ask Mark to subscribe you.

 c. Due Next:  "TCS - Lists 5"  (about 1 August)

    Cheers from The Colorado Skier (Deceased)

  "Have you ever noticed how much Brad Pitt looks like Kato Kaelin?"