]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  July 1995, Week 1

COMMUNET July 1995, Week 1

Re: rural/urban: was: Cleveland Freenet Article

Brent Wall <[log in to unmask]>

Communet: Community and Civic Network Discussion List

Sun, 2 Jul 1995 12:15:25 -0400

On Sun, 2 Jul 1995, Steve Snow wrote:

> Karen, Brent and others,
>
> > First, I think we share your view that urban areas have to
> > cross-subsidize rural areas if they are to ever get access.  We have
> > counties surrounding Tallahassee that could never afford the costs
> > associated with setting up their own server and connection (even
> > 56Kbs).
>
> This has been our thought also, but we cast it slightly differently: we
> now speak in terms of *isolation*, trying to overcome the divisiveness of
> rural-urban. There is urban isolation and rural isolation, but the effect
> is the same. So we are seeking to serve isolated communities. We hope
> there's a real change in view in our area -- over time, of course.

        Steve, I like Karen's point that, historically and today, there
is a symbiotic relationship between cities and their hinterlands (as the
geographers say).  In the NTIA grant application I tried to spin this as
a regional economic development issue; i.e., that the economic health of
Tallahassee is wedded to the development of its surrounding counties.
Hopefully, a win-win scenario.  This logic led to the recommendation that
the have counties cross-subsidize the have nots.

> > It was based on the conversion of the local Free-Net
> > to a Fee-Net, which,  would have fee paying users underwriting free users.
> > Our grant plan was to hook into POPs in each rural county to provide them
> > with local cost service.
>
> Why not have the local areas pay for their own connection to you? For
> example, in the Charlotte area, we want to do something similar to what
> you talk about, Brent. Say we put a host in Denver, NC. Then about half-a
> dozen smaller towns can reach that POP with a local call, which might come
> to us via wireless. If you divide the cost of phone lines,host machine and
> wireless to us, you get a number that is not that high. The small towns
> individually most likely could scrape up $2,000-$4,000 to hook up; then
> growth is determined by what people are able to fund locally. You in effect,
> create a new community network community -- people forced to collaborate
> to keep their costs down. Just a thought.

        Good idea.  I have not explored cost sharing like I should.
However, my concern may be state-based.  Florida passed a 3% cieling on
property tax revenues as a Constitutional amendment.  This is killing us
in Leon County, and I think it would be a constraint in outlying counties
too.  In part, I think the problem is a function of lots of people and
governments not seeing the potential of net-based functions being of
value.  Be that as it may, my county administration said, as Duran, "no
mas".  Perhaps NC is not as misanthropic as FL to enact such
constitutional constraints on its revenue base.

> > But now, things are worse.  The TFN has grown a lot, local sponsors are
> > less willing to pay for the costs, such that we are faced with a
> > privitized bail out, a miraculous fund raising effort, or mana from
> > heaven.  Local government has decided that this is a private matter.
> >
> I'm very troubled by what you say here. Especially, how local gov't is
> unwilling to participate financially. Do they see the great value of being
> able to advertise their jobs on your system and being able to let
> people apply for jobs and other gov't services using online forms? We are
> selling the government streamlining aspects of this -- and the value of
> maximizing what nonprofits can do by doing things online -- to our loca
> govts.

        Steve, again, the lack of local governmental participation in any
bail-out is driven by our constitutional tax revenue amendment.  I think
the problem is part education and part fiscal.  To wit, our sheriff came
in and chewed up one whole mill of tax on a salary reclassification and
hiring proposal.  This gambit effectively killed almost every other budget
request.  Our motto:  arrest 'em, don't educate 'em.  Oh well, what the
hell, that off-handed comment probably just got me fired.  To wit, second,
we have long advocated that the real power of the local net is to have
interactive services that reduce customer costs and frustration with
governmental systems.  For example, the electronic filing and approval of
many building permits, health and social service applications on-line,
available at countless community centers, etc.  These initiatives build
constituencies.  My, and our, failure to date is that we have not
delivered these goods.  I think the case for governmental participation
can be made on efficiency and service grounds, but, as I am sure you know,
it is not easy to bring these services on line quickly.

> > If these problems cannot be resolved, the TFN is in danger of ceasing to
> > exist.
> >
> The world would hate for this to happen. How can I help you figure out
a solution?

Well, it's demise is relative.  It would be reincarnated as a private,
for fee based sevice, with all of the negative implications for universal
service and access this entails.  Beyond that tragedy, Dennis Duke's
proposal for fee-based high speed service for those willing to pay which
payment would underwrite the free users, has, I think, considerable
merit. Can we pull this off?  Don't know.  But it has obvious merit.

The more I think about "Free-Nets", cf. the Cleveland Plain Dealer's
article on the mother of Free-Nets and their problems, I am convinced
that, in today's political environment, writ not only large, but
nationally, feenets is all we have left.  The subsidy and donations
approaches are just not up to underwriting, in our case at least, this
requires some $250K per year.  Given these dire straights, I argue that
we may have to abandon the freenet concept and charge those who can and
use excess revenues to support those who can't.

Is this bleak, or what.

Thanks for your time.

Brent Wall
Free-Net Project Coordinator