COMMUNET October 1995, Week 2

Access Indiana by Hook or By Crook

Gordon Cook <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Oct 1995 22:21:03 -0400 (EDT)

TEXT/PLAIN

Little Golden Eggs from Stan Jones' Heaven - or could it possibly be the
Governor's right arm reaching into the legislature to deliver the
people's money to Ameritech?

NOTE TO COMMUNET READERS:  what follows is my commentary on the Access
Indiana monthly meeting of October 3..... the notes finally wended their
way through the cornfield curtain and arrived in my mailbox this
afternoon.  The official moderated access indiana mail list continues to
have no meaningful activity.  Rather than answer my questions, the
governor's men have taken access indiana off line and under ground.  I
continue to operate my version of their list with more than 240 readers.
My language here is more "colorful" than it ordinarily is but then I
suggest that this is an extraordinary situation.

COOK:  Readers [editors note: I reference the readers of my access
indiana in exile in New Jersey list who have seen postings not sent to
communet.] no doubt remember my excoriation of stan jones announcement of
$3 million for k-12.  Well before Mike Huffman counts his chickens I
think you all better get some answers to these latest shennanigans.

> Whitman indicated that in the last legislative session $3M was inserted in
> the State Budget bill and Build Indiana Fund to provide matching funding
> to school corporations purchasing Internet transport.  The allocation of
> this money one of many items in the legislation, and Whitman explained
> that the $3M amount was determined from the estimate that Internet access
> could cost school corporations approximately $20,000 a year.  If the State
> would cover half the costs ($10,000 per school corporation) for each of
> Indiana's 294 sch ool corporations, the cost to the state would be
> approximately $3M.

COOK:  was inserted......cute....passive voice.... don't tell the people
who's funneling their money to Ameritech's corporate coffers.  Any one
notice?  Out of 69 attendees 10 were from ameritech!  One from sprint.
Plus two from Ameritech's front foundation.  The total number of
attendees were roughly half from government and industry and half from
the public.  Hey Stan, mark, ed.....  where did this money get inserted
from?  Who did it?  How was it done.  Where is the enabling legislation?
What was the bill?  Who are the sponsors?  What is the legislative
intent?  Demonstrate please.  Or is someone on the sly taking
**administrative action** and apportioning GENERAL FUNDS for this
specific use?  Is there any reporter in the whole bloody state who knows
or cares?

> No guidelines for the funding were included in the legislation, but the
> $3M was allocated to the Intelenet Commission for distribution of the
> schools, making it Intelenet Commission's responsibility to develop the
> guidelines governing the distribution.  Whitman asked Jerry Sullivan to
> provide a brief overview of his progress in developing the guidelines.
>
> Sullivan cautioned that, at this time, his remarks are informational only,
> and the final form of the guidelines will not be set until they have been
> approved by the State Budget Agency and the State Budget Committee.
> Sullivan also cautioned that though the $3M funding for 1996 appears to
> be reasonably secure, the availability of $3M for 1997 will be dependent
> upon the status of the Build Indiana Fund, which is the outlet for state
> lottery and gaming revenues.  Because this $3M is pretty low on the Build
> Indiana food chain, if 1996 proves to be a bad gaming year for the state,
> the $3M may not be available.

COOK Have you given the state budget agency anything else besides Tully's
spoon fed propaganda?  Do they have a clue what they are being asked to
approve?  How will it possibly be able to justify the expenditure of $3
million in PUBLIC taxpayer funds on the governor's favorite corporation?
(With sprint thrown in as a sop -witness the 10 to one representation of
Ameritech vs sprint at the meeting.)

1.  No RBOC has ever developed the most cost effective way of hooking up
a school district.  Therefore you are going to spend more than you should.

2.  The state is mandating the expenditure of public money to flow into
the coffers of an entity in a way that those supplying the funds have no
control over their use.  If they have a means of doing it more cheaply
they are damned.  If they have an alternative technology such as wireless
or cable tv they are also damned.

3.  Oh by the way,  you school corps.  Spend now because next year there
may not be any money..... hurry hurry hurry...has ameritech got a deal
for YOU!  One size fits all and the readyness of your corpration or its
teachers is not relevant.

> -       The funding must be used to purchase Internet transport from
one of the
>         two ACCESS INDIANA Preferred Transport Providers.  This
requirement is
>         included because when the PTP partnerships were consummated,
the State
>         offered no guaranteed revenue or servi ce to either PTP.  As a
partner,
>         the only thing that the State has to offer is its influence to
drive
>         public sector transport service to the PTPs, and this funding
>         opportunity is an example of the State's effort to leverage
service to the
>         PTPs.

COOK: Let's read that last part again!  It is really hillarious:  "the
only thing that the State has to offer is its influence to drive public
sector transport service to the PTPs, and this funding opportunity is an
example of the State's effort to leverage service to the PTPs."

Who in the hell said the state had to offer the PTP and damned thing!?
When this program was put in place particpation for the public sector was
to be quite voluntary..... the PTP's presumably KNEW that....now who is
again changing the rules.  What the HELL have the PTPs offered to the
state that would require the state to give ANYTHING back!???  Seriously!
Not a damned thing!  The PTPs were in the state and doing business before
hand and they will be doing business after AI is long gone.  What have
they done FOR the state?  NOTHING!  AADSnet had built its POPs for
COMMERCIAL SERVICE not for AI!  You all are being snookered.  Whitmanized
and then Tullyized.

> Whitman indicated that this funding is of particular interest to the
> community networks, because of a recommended provision that will allow
> local school corporations to use the funding to support community network
> transport.  Whitman read the recommendation being made:
>
> Up to $10,000 in matching State funding is available for calendar year
> 1996, and should be again for calendar year 1997 (based upon availability
> of funding from Build Indiana), for any Indiana School Corporation to
> purchase Internet transport service from Sprint or Ameritech.  This
> matching funding can also be used to support that portion of a local
> community network's transport costs that a school corporation is willing
> to assume.

COOK:  AWE now isn't this cute:  with the community network scam
essentially bankrupt, they are being invited to climb in bed with their
local public schools for money!  The infinite permeability of every
membrane in your structure never ceases to amaze.  Anyone want to tell me
why a state funded School network *AND* Community network in lafayette
where there are no less than 6 private isps for example does not
contravene the Indiana statute prohibiting government from competing with
private industry?

> For example:  If a school corporation has an Internet transport cost of
> $14,000 a year, that school corporation can receive $7,000 in state
> funding to match $7,000 in local funding to support this expense.  Because
> up to $10,000 of matching funding is available for each school
> corporation, the school corporation can elect to cover up to $20,000 of
> total transport costs which can help to support the local community
> network transport.  The school corporation $3,000 contribution to the
> community network woul d be matched by $3,000 from the state.

COOK:  Kindly show me where you find the legislative intent to to take
school network funds and apply them instead to community nets.  Why are
you yet again changing the rules?

===========
For any who want to check my assertions about the make up of the
attendees, here they are.

> Marcia Au
> Access Evansville
> voice:  (812) 428-8241
> fax:            (812) 428-8397
>
> Al Barloga
> South Lake Net
> voice:  (219) 663-3237
>
> Dan Boyett
> Ameritech
> voice:  (317) 692-5439
--More--

> Brad Bradley
> ACCESS INDIANA Information Network
> voice:  (317) 233-2010
> fax:            (317) 2011
>
> Michael Chui
> HoosierNet
> voice:  (812) 857-5159
>
> Bob Clark
> Sprint
> voice:  (317) 571-2159
> fax:            (317) 571-2175
>
> Kathryn Clodfelter
> SCICAN Morgan County
> voice:  (317) 349-1307
>
> Geoff Cochran
> Racks Enclosures
> voice:  (317) 334-0086
> fax:            (317) 334-0087
>
> Carol Doerner
> Lake County Community Net
> Lake County Public Library
> voice:  (219) 769-3541
> fax:            (219) 769-0690
>
> Ray Ewick
> State Library
> (317) 232-3692
>
> Terry Forkner
> Ameritech
> voice:  (317) 265-4885
> fax:            (317) 265-7429
--More--

> Al Godsoe
> Collaboration 2000, IUPUI
> voice:  (317) 274-3030
> fax:            (317) 274-6776
>
> Doris Goins
> Kendallville Public Library
> voice:  (219) 347-2768
> fax:            (219) 347-5314
>
> David Grandstaff
> CommuniNet of Wabash County
> fax:            (219) 982-8713
>
> Amy Grenat
> Corporation for Ed Technology
> voice:  (317) 464-2074
> fax:            (317) 464-2080
--More--

> John Grimmer
> MonoFarm
> voice:  (317) 736-0400
> fax:            (317) 736-4937
>
> George Haas
> Falls Cities Community Net
> American Commercial Barge
> voice:  (812) 246-9624
> fax:            (812) 288-0143
>
> Alan Harvey
> Access LaPorte County
> voice:  (219) 874-6398
> fax:            (219) 874-0299
>
> Barb Healey
> Ameritech
--More--
> voice:  (317) 488-3257
> fax:            (317) 488-3085
>
> Jeannie Hellmann
> State Budget Agency
> voice:  (317) 232-5619
> fax:            (317) 233-3329
>
> Dick Herron
> CSC
> voice:  (317) 872-7200
> fax:            (317) 875-4029
>
> Alan Hill
> Corp. for Education Technology
> voice:  (317) 464-2074
>
> Tim Holt
> INCOLSA
--More--
> voice:  (317) 926-6561
> fax:            (317) 923-3658
>
> Lorie Homan
> Sheridan Community Network
> voice:  (317) 758-4491
> fax:            (317) 758-2409
>
> Robert Horton
> Indiana State Archives
> voice:  (317) 232-3660
> fax:            (317) 233-1085
>
> Dan Houlihan
> State Information Services (ISD)
> State Department of Administration
> voice:  (317) 232-6750
> fax:            (317) 232-0748
--More--

> Jack Hughes
> Boone County Online/
> Lebanon Community Schools
> voice:  (317) 482-0380
> fax:            (317) 483-3053
>
> Sally Hunt
> Anderson Public Library
> voice:  (317) 641-2454
> fax:            (317) 641-2468
>
> Mike James
> Ameritech
> voice:  (317) 488-3255
> fax:            (317) 488-3085
>
> Darryl Johnson
> State Office of Public Records
> voice:  (317) 232-0914
--More--
> fax:            (317) 232-3154
> darryl_johnson_at_icprlan@
> ima.isd.state.in.us
>
> Jerry Kelsay
> Ameritech
> voice:  (317) 488-3081
>
> Steve Key
> Hoosier State Press Association
> voice:  (317) 637-3966
> fax:            (317) 624-4428
>
> Phil Kibler
> IBM
> voice:  (317) 464-3517
> fax:            (317) 464-3541
>
> Jim Livers
> Ameritech
> voice:  (317) 265-6600
> fax:            (317) 488-3085
>
> Jane Lockett
> IBM
> voice:  (317) 464-3618
> fax:            (317) 464-3541
>
> Gary McCabe
> Collaboration 2000
> IUPUI
> voice:  (317) 274-0718
> fax:            (317) 274-3657
>
> Beverly Martin
> Johnson County Public Library
> voice:  (317) 738-2833
> fax:            (317) 738-9635
--More--

> Kay Martin
> Boone County Online/
> Lebanon Public Library
> voice:  (317) 482-3460
> fax:            (317) 483-2571
>
> Paul Mahiwson
> Ameritech
> voice:  (317) 488-3093
> fax:            (317)488-3148
>
> Martha Miller
> Delphi Public Library
> voice:  (317) 564-2929
> fax:            (317) 564-4746
>
> Michael Ney
> IUPUI, Collaboration 2000
> voice:  (317) 274-7139
> fax:            (317) 274-8769
--More--

> Lewis Noe
> Southlake Net
> voice:  (219) 392-0990
>
> John Paff
> Huntington County Community Network
> Huntington College
> voice:  (219) 356-6000
> fax:            (219) 356-9448
>
> Steve Peterka
> Access LaPorte County
> voice:  (219) 874-7211
> fax:            (219) 872-8511
>
> Marcia Ping
> The Intelenet Commission
>
> Darrel Potter
> SCICAN Morgan County
> voice:  (317) 342-6641
> fax:            (317) 343-6877
>
> Mike Redman
> Ameritech
> voice:  (317) 488-3298
> fax:            (317) 488-3085
>
> Damon Richards
> Port-to-Port Consulting
> voice:  (317) 471-4061
> fax:            (317) 471-6062
>
> John W. Riemke
> Indiana Rural Development Council
> voice:  (317) 232-8776
> fax:            (317) 232-1362
>
> Larry Risk
> Wilson Education Center
> voice:  (812) 256-8000
> fax:            (812) 256-8012
>
> Pamela Sandstrom
> Fort Wayne Area InfoNet
> voice:  (219) 481-5445
>                          483-1901
> fax:            (219 481-6509
>
> Robert E. Sears
> Oakland City University
> voice:  (812) 749-1267
> fax:            (812) 749-1268
>
> Eric Sluder
> GTE Telecom Inc.
> voice:  (317) 633-4755
> fax:            (317) 633-6811
>
> Kirk Smith
> Purdue Extension Services
> voice:  (317) 494-8343
> fax:            (317) 494-8342
>
> Herb Stahlke
> Ball State University
> voice:  (317) 285-8411
> fax:            (317) 285-1797
>
> Jerry Sullivan
> Intelenet Commission
> voice:  (317) 233-8996
> fax:            (317) 233-9000
>
> Felix Tan
> CIOE Corporation
> voice:  (317) 423-7970
> fax:            (317) 423-7979
>
> Jim Thomas
> Ameritech
> voice:  (317) 488-3216
> fax:            (317) 488-3085
>
> Lee Thompson
> SE Indiana Rural Datification
> voice:  (812) 933-0818
> fax:            (812) 933-0719
>
> David Tilton
> Collaboration 2000/
> Butler University
> voice:  (317) 940-9420
--More--
> fax:            (317)-940-9740
>
> Terry Travis
> Tippecanoe County Public Library
> voice:  (317) 429-0106
> fax:            (317) 429-0150
>
> Cheryl Truesdell
> Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne
> voice:  (219) 481-6506
> fax:            (219) 481-6509
>
> Carmen Ware
> CIOE
> voice:  (219) 736-8180
> fax:            (219) 736-8181
>
> Worth Weller
> CommuniNet
> North Manchester News-Journal
> voice:  (219) 982-6383
> fax:            (219) 982-8233
>
> Andy Wessels
> Pla-Net, Inc.
> voice:  (219) 756-1675
>
> Roger Whaley
> Falls Cities Community Network
> voice:  (812) 999-4229
> fax:            (812) 999-4231
>
> Mark Whitman
> Governor's Office/DOE
> voice:  (317) 463-9130
> fax:            (317) 497-1490
>
> Susan Brock Williams
> Ameritech
> voice:  (317) 265-7063
> fax:            (317) 265-4354

Gordon Cook, Editor & Publisher       Subscript.: Individ-ascii  $85
The COOK Report on Internet                Non Profit.          $150
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618          Small Corp & Gov't   $200
(609) 882-2572                             Corporate            $350
Internet: [log in to unmask]              Corporate. Site Lic  $650
Newly expanded COOK Report Web Pages http://pobox.com/cook/