COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  October 1995, Week 2

COMMUNET October 1995, Week 2

Rural Colorado Conference Report

Steve Cisler <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Oct 95 15:51:06 -0700

Colorado Rural Telecommunications Conference,
Oct 5,6  Yuma, Colorado

When I was a grape grower in the Sierra foothills of California, I began to
experience the dependency that rural areas have on urban areas. Because of the
interconnected markets, the influence of urban-based businesses in the state
capitals and in Washington, DC, the continued net migration out of rural areas,
I now understand the weak bargaining position that rural citizens in the U.S.
(and other countries that I have visited) face when it comes to
telecommunications services and access issues.

Though I now live in the heart of Silicon Valley where there are at least 35
Internet service providers, cheap ISDN access, and low basic phone rates, I am
very interested in how rural America is going to participate in the growth of
the National Information Infrastructure. While you may be looking for a cheap
T1 line or ISDN to your home, in parts of rural Colorado, people would be glad
to have a single party phone line! However, many sites in rural Colorado have a
disproportionate number of sophisticated users and are doing some very
innovative projects,

Our Apple Library of Tomorrow grant program has supported four different
projects in Colorado over the years, and I have been struck by the forward
thinking of  people in business, education, government, and libraries who have
been planning and executing various innovative projects. This state is also the
home of Boardwatch Magazine <www.boardwatch.com> which has tracked (and
fostered) the growth of BBSes and the Internet since 1987. Dave Hughes
<[log in to unmask]> is widely known as a telecomm pioneer who has helped
numerous rural sites get online. His firm will be conducting a study of
wireless telecommunications in Colorado Springs and the San Luis valley, 3
hours to the south, for the National Science Foundation.

 Colorado claims that more people are workng in the telecomms industry in that
state than in any other, yet the state infrastructure is rather uneven.  U.S
West, the largest telephone company in the area, has a huge rural service area
but recently sold off dozens of rural telephone exchanges to Pacific
Telecommunications Inc of Vancouver, Washington.  The latter firm is eligible
for subsidies to help them make improvements to the infrastructure.

I was invited to speak in Colorado by two different groups: the Colorado
Library Association in Snowmass and later by The Colorado Advanced Technology
Institute (CATI) which held its 4th Annual Rural Telecommunications Workshop in
Yuma, Arizona.  I enjoy going to rural areas and regional conferences. Meeting
people who make it to one conference a year within driving distance of their
home allows me to learn about some unique local issues and accomplishments.
This has held true for rural Thailand, South Carolina, Australia, North Dakota,
Alaska, Cuba, and Colorado. All the action is definitely not at national
conferences or mega-events like the recent Telecom 95 in Geneva.

Yuma County is in one of the rural exchanges that PTI acquired from US West.
This is an agricultural county with corn, beef, beans being the main products.
It is about two hours from Denver near the Kansas border. Yuma is the county
seat with about 3000 people, and one of the newest buildings in town is the
community center near the city park. It was here that the conference took
place. PictureTel provided four large crates of equipment for the center to be
hooked up by video over fractional T1 to Akron High School about 25 miles to
the west. There was also an Internet connection that worked quite well most of
the time, especially during the demos by the presenters who came from the 13
rural Colorado telecomm projects funded in part by CATI
<http://www.yampa.com/aerie/places.htm>. I was struck by the sophistication of
the presentations, most of which depended on using the World Wide Web. One
person won an award for  "the presentation that most looked like Power Point",
but even those that just used overheads were well done.  One weak point was the
videoconferencing setup in the distant high school. The technology worked, but
it is still difficult to integrate telecomms into school curriculum, and it is
even harder to tie in 50 minute history class with a telecomms talk that
started after the class assembled. Given the amount of equipment needed (and
the in-kind costs of the line) it seems as though it was meant to serve as a
technology demo without a compelling educational application. Quite a bit of
the same functionality is available with desktop video conferencing projects
like QuickTime Conferencing or CU-SeeMe. I think the large, fixed setups
similar to PictureTel will have a life cycle like mini-computers in the late
70's and early 80's, with smaller computers and cameras usurping most of their
markets.

Some of the attendees woke at 4 in the morning to drive to Yuma from the
western part of Colorado. In 1996 the conference will be in Durango in the SW
part of the state, and it might make sense to have part of the conference in
Fort Collins (or somewhere in the north-center part of the state) where some
might gather, present over a video conference link, while the others are in
Durango. The lines could be left open for people to engage in casual networking
which is an important aspect of any face to face gathering. This happened
between our attendees and high school students in a "reading" class in the
library.  Because they were outgoing and curious, several of us engaged in
prolonged casual conversation with the young people. I think their
participation added to the conference.

Lawrence Freitag runs a computer store in Yuma, and he was running one of the
most complicated setups I have seen for a small conference. Not only were we
connected to the Internet, but the demos were piped through the PictureTel unit
so that the other end could see people or on screen information, and when I
needed to use a different configuration he was able to handle it quite well.
The new Epson projector is not much larger than a slide projector but the light
intensity is strong enough for good contract in a large room with some ambiant
light. It looks like a good machine for people who travel to do demos.

Each of the thirteen sites had about 20-30 minutes to demonstrate their system
or make an interim report. Only the Yuma/Washington counties project was not
online. Others had a BBS or gopher, but most were using the WWW in ways that
would not have been possible a little more than a year ago. People's plans
changed in mid-stream after the WWW began to dominate people's thinking and
online experience.

Several projects were using wireless technology: Summit County, Telluride
InfoZone, and Montrose Area Telecommunications Group. While all claimed it was
working well, the competitive costs for wired communication are a factor for
Montrose, and US West reported more problems with its digital phone service in
Telluride (not a CATI project) than InfoZone did with its own service.

Because tourism is so important in Colorado, it was featured as an important
application for these community systems. Dr. Patrick Long of U. of Colorado
Boulder chaired a session on using 'tele-media' for marketing of tourist
opportunities.  Summit County has a sophisticated voice response system to
guide an 800 caller through a variety of choices and match them with the right
hotel/motel. They are trying to integrate it more into online information, as
is Alan  Klein of Montezuma County Economic Development <[log in to unmask]>.
Klein gave a very upbeat talk on all the kinds of information they are
providing on their WWW space. He recommends mounting information as fast as you
can and showed a certain amount of impatience with the slow decision making
processes of the surrounding institutions, including the local Indian tribe.  I
mentioned that the Oneida Nation of New York was very cautious about what
information was put online, and that they wanted full control and final say. It
seems that the cultural information being put up by Klein and his team is in
enough depth that it can do what a 4 page brochure cannot do.  For example,
there is a whole discussion of the word "Anasazi", a word that turns out to be
less than satisfactory these days, and the web entries explain that.
<www.swcolo.org/tourism/archaelology/anasazi.html>  Klein is also working on a
document for other groups aiming to do what his group has done.

Libraries seem to be very popular places for public access. Clear Creek County
is loaning Apple PowerBooks from the library, and The library is Telluride is
being used very heavily for web access, and the Yampa Valley project is putting
remote access in libraries throughout the valley. One site saw the WWW as a way
of liberating the information from the "confines of our limited public
library," but in my talk I reminded people that the librarian had a good idea
of the balance between print and electronic information and could provide
guidance about the best way to answer a question since everying is definitely
not on the Net, whatever enthusiastic journalists may write.

A very big issue is competition and complaints from other online businesses and
would-be Internet Service Providers. A CATI-sponsored project starts a web
publishing service, and a mom 'n' pop firm complains that it's unfair
competition.The CATI projects are meant to get a project going and then,
ideally, go out of business, as other groups take over. However, the pool of
skills in small towns is such that an entrepreneur/catalyst running a CATI
project may have no place to move if the project moves to the private sector.
This was mentioned by several participants, and it was a sub-theme in the
worries about sustainability of even the successful projects.

The area that seemed to be billed as the most impoverished is the San Luis
Valley. CATI has a project going there, and Old Colorado Communications just
received a grant from the Don Mitchell at NSF to try out various wireless
products and see how well they work. Part of the test will be in Colorado
Springs, a few hours away. It will involve schools, libraries, and Internet
providers in the area.  The principal investigator is Dave Hughes, and there
will be timely information posted once the project is underway, later this
year.

I gave a keyonete talk on community networking around the world and discussed
projects in Australia, Cuba, the U.S., Europe and mentioned that Canada is
doing a lot, but that I was not well-informed about them.  I talked about the
rural telecomms program being run by the ITU in Geneva, where they are
emphasizing the telecottage model as appropriate for developing countries.

Jack Rickard of Boardwatch magazine gave an interesting summary of recent
Internet events, the BBS vs. the Web debate that is of great interest to the
readers of his publication (see also www.boardwatch.com). He believes there
will not be a shakeout of Internet Service Providers because of the entry of
large telcos. On the contrary, the thousands of ISPs will multiply partly
because he says, the telco can only do three things well: turn on your phone,
fix it, and do billing.  They can't handle Winsock for Win95 (or other
technical support that is needed for Internet users).

Kudos to Jeff Richardson of CATI for putting this conference together. The seed
projects that they have done over the past couple of years seem to have
produced a number of good models that may be self-sustaining after the state
funds have run out.

Steve Cisler
Network Outreach
Advanced Technology Group