]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  December 1995

SKIVT-L December 1995

Cannon 17DEC95; J. Spin meets NH part II

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Dec 1995 20:38:41 -0500 (EST)

TEXT/PLAIN

	After another filling breakfast at Stanley's, we left Intervale
for Cannon Mountain.  We parked at the tram base, finding maybe twenty
other cars there; another uncrowded day.  The lodge here was pretty cool,
it was esentially the tram base area (summer/winter use) and a moderate
cafteria attached.  A bunch of wooden benches filled the lobby, and this
was where everyone changed into their boots etc.  The tram was quite
nice, maybe a tad bigger than the Jay's, but it seemed to be running
slower.  Maybe this was due to the fact that clouds obscured most of the
trip and stifled any views.  Although the bottom was fairly calm, the
summit (4000+ feet) was a foggy, blustery, sleety other world (reminded
me of another tram-equipped area in a neighboring state).  We explored in
the fog most of the morning, finding conditions excellent.  Grooming was
well done, but they didn't leave much powder on the edges.  Greg cried a
few tears as we dropped of the sides of the trails to catch small stashes
and realized that more trails could be like this if they left them
alone.  The other base area, which seemed to have the usual mix of ski
shop, rentals etc, was called the Peabody Base.  We explored this area
much of the morning.  They definitely had not received as much snow here
as in the Mt. Washington area, and it showed in the fact that they were
at maybe 3/4 operation.  In the afternoon, we discovered the "front five"
trails which were served by the zoomer triple.  They varied in steepness
and bumpiness, but were in general pretty wide.  Fortunately, the sides
were still loaded with some pow and we naturally tracked it all up.  The
best "off-piste" adventure of the day came near the top of the Peabody
chair.  We had been eyeing this work road all day which looked untracked,
powdery, and a bit on the rustic side.  It appears as if the sign at the
entrance was supposed to say:

		WORK ROAD
		NO SKIING

but someone had defaced the no to create a sigh that said

		WORK ROAD
		  SKIING

Since we couldn't pass up the offer for some "work road skiing" (we
needed to find out what kind of skiing that was), we dropped in.  We were
rewarded with 100-200 yards of powder and a couple of snow pipes blocking
our exit approximately 18 inches off the ground.  Because the trail was
so narrow, the only thing to do was take them at speed.  I yelled "tips up"
to my associates behind and worked a couple inches of axle grind before
dropping square in the middle of a crossover trail. As Wes would say,
"Edges are for Kids" (if I got that right).  I totally forgot about visiting
the mystery Mittersill area I heard about on here (idiot) but we still had
great fun.  I would put our Wildcat experience above the Cannon one, but
both areas had a rustic flair and I would probably go back.  We just got
into a better groove at Wildcat, that kind of day where you have the
runs where everyone and everything clicks; where the run is greater than
the sum of its parts.  You can't put a price on that.

						J. Spin