SKIVT-L January 1996

Stowe 31DEC95 ---> 1JAN96

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Jan 1996 23:28:35 -0500 (EST)

TEXT/PLAIN

	I managed to reel in the new year in the best way possible, on
skis with superb conditions under my feet.  Stowe offered night skiing
until 1:00 A.M. on new year's eve, and after two of my friends told me
they were going, I had to check it out.  We left Burlington around 6:30
(not snowing) and arrived at Stowe in light to moderate snow and temps in
the 20s.  The woods to the left of lower gondolier were filled with 6
inches of pow and of course we had the lines to ourselves since no one
else was popping in there (I can understand as the folks on the trails
looked over at us as screams filled the air from time to time).  Well, it
turns out, the lighting in the trees isn't quite as good as that on the
trail (imagine that).  It's easy to see the trees and pick a nice line,
but what wasn't visible were those small branches and saplings.  They
came up on you real quick sometimes and loved to get near your eyes.
Putting on our goggles (orangish tint) limited the light too much so they
were ineffective.  The ultimate combination of gear for this would be
clear goggles and a headlamp; that would solve everything.  The gem of
the night was that chute(s) a la skiVT bash '95.  I don't quite know the
"official" insiders name for this section (send info skivters!!) but you
know, the one with the snowfence.  Well, the snowfence is barely there;
beautifully buried under tons of snow, and the impressive cliff at the
bottom is well, smaller but still fun.  Now as I remember it last year
ther was one entrance, one exit.  The other night there were three
entrances, two exits.  One entrance was roped off with a sign saying NOT
A TRAIL, so, being the law abiders that we are, we avoided THAT entrance
(because it wasn't a trail and we probably shouldn't be skiing it).  Of
course, if its not a trail, it can't be closed can it???  There
wasn't an excess stump or root to be found, just snow snow snow and marvelous
steeps for jump turns at the bottom.  The second exit (maybe 50 or so
feet to the skiers right of the famous snowfence) is much more tame and
makes a good alternative for those not wanting to deal with the steep
fence route.  The lighting in this area is just enough to let you see
what's going on, but dim enough to throw a few terrain surprises at you
and make you remember that it you don't put any energy into standing up...
you will fall down.

We finished off the night with a little revelry at the Matterhorn (where
did all those people come from?)

						J. Spin